September 21, 2014

Diane Sawyer asks Mel Gibson some questions - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 12th 2006 4:17PM
Diane SawyerIs Diane Sawyer the worst interviewer or what?

Here's part one of her interview this morning with Mel Gibson on Good Morning, America. She seems to ask all the right questions, but in the end, not really. She just barrels through the questions, in that "this is a celebrity, let's be more touchy-feeling with him instead of investigative-reporter-ish with him" sort of way. You can see why Gibson chose her. She has that air of respectability, but in reality she's slow pitch softball ("Where does this anger come from?"). Maybe we should hold judgement until the second half of the interview airs tomorrow, but this clip just looks like a Daily Show parody than a real interview. The interruptions are annoying (why so many voiceovers?).

It's worth it though to hear Gibson talk about choking his toaster. And, no, that's not a euphemism for anything dirty. (Video after the jump.)

LC

I still find it hard to believe that Sawyer was once on 60 minutes.

October 13 2006 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

So Mel doesn't like Jews, who cares? It doesn't change his movies or his characters. Shit, move on already. If I were in his shoes, my explination would be that I was drunk, forget apologizing. He shouldn't have to. There's nothing that says we have the right to go through life without being offended.

October 12 2006 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CastingGod

Gibson is a racist,all this interviewing only comes down to one thing. He's got a movie being released and the machine wants it to get butts in the seats.

I believe he meant every word he said to the police and is only now wants to say he's sorry. I don't believe one word that comes out of his mouth. He's only covering up his racist remarks and his homophobia attitude. He's not a nice man and never has been. He thinks he's a gift to filmmaking.

October 12 2006 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

The word is SPIN.

It works in Washington.

It works in Hollywood.

But try it with your boss after screwing up... or with a wife or girlfriend... and it is about as effective as a cocktail umbrella in a tsunami.

Let's watch Mel spin and grin.

dwacon

October 12 2006 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Canfield

Drunk enough to spew out racial and sexual insults -- but still sober enough to be aware of how his mug shot would look later. Interesting.

October 12 2006 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harish

uh... wtf?? Murder inanimate objects? I can tell that he's trying to be apologetic yet as diplomatic as possible, and that doesn't come across as meaningful. He should really work on his issues before doing an interview like this. HIGHLIGHT: he didn't want to look like Nick Nolte, so he splashed water on his face and looked like the sleazy rapist instead. Classic.

October 12 2006 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

You know,.. I'll be one of the first to step up and say that I'm a fan of Mel Gibson. I have been and I still am. That's not to say that I worship him or salivate over every movie he's in or made, but I've always thought of him as a stand up guy who had talent as an actor and director.

When his drunken tirade was exposed, I was a bit surprised. I mean,.. as a celebrity, stress (not to mention over-inflated ego's and power trips) is part of the job and often manifests itself in drunken escapades. But his anti-semetic remarks did catch me offguard. Now I've said and done some pretty stupid stuff while I was drunk (as I'm sure most of us have), so I can chalk some of that up to typical drunken blathering. But he did step over the line on this one.

What surprised me the most about this interview is that he still didn't seem to have it together. Not only that, but he also was almost too matter-of-fact about the whole issue. I expected him to come out and say he screwed up, but this almost seemed like a rehearsed show of appology. I might expect that from any other celebrity, but not Mel.

Anyways,.. that's all to say that I was dissapointed. I'll still watch his stuff and admire him as an actor, but I was dissapointed.

October 12 2006 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply