August 21, 2014

Robin Williams ruins every talk show

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 12th 2006 4:48PM

Robin WilliamsThere was a time ("the 80s") when Robin Williams was actually funny. Not just on TV show and movies, but on talk shows as well. He'd come on, and you just knew it was going to be a wild and fun time.

Boy, are those times past.

Williams has been making the talk show rounds the past week or so, plugging Man of the Year (does that movie look awful, or what?). And every single time he's on, he embarasses himself. Or maybe he doesn't, judging from the howls coming from the audience. He just doesn't shut up, and does the same voices over and over and over again, interrupting other guests.

He was on Letterman the other night and I had to change the channel. He was on Regis & Kelly the next morning, but I don't usually watch that show so there was no danger of seeing him. He was on Bill Maher's show last Friday, and he just steamrolled over everybody, thinking he was so funny. Maher laughed, but later in the show you sensed that he just wanted him to shut the hell up.

He's on Hardball tonight. I won't be watching. He's on Kimmel too, but I'll change the channel after the monologue. It's not that I don't like unpredictable, going-off-on-a-tangent celebs. I think Jim Carrey, Amy Sedaris, and Andy Dick are really funny on talk shows. Williams...gah.

chaz

Either Robin Williams has no sense of shame, or an uncontrollable compulsion to make a total ass of himself. I felt enough shame for the both of us. Painful.

December 11 2006 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shana Ting Lipton

I agree, and even blogged about the disturbing Maher episode when it happened:

November 02 2006 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mrs. Carol Wallace

Robin Williams is a man who has for many years shared his comedic genius with so many of us. He is as one person stated just comeing out of rehab and therefore should have more compassion from those of us who were enriched with his wonderful humor in our lives when we possibly needed it or ourselves should have gone to rehab. Mr. Williams is going thorough a very difficult time personally and trying to please all of us with humor that is only saddely covering up an insecure soul at this time. I give kudo's to Robin for being brave enough to come before his audience once again during this personal emotionnaly hard time in his life. We need to thank him for all the laughs that from within gave us the sunshine we needed at that time in our lives. I love you Mr. Williams and only hope for the best for your personal life and your wonderful humor in launching a new movie.

October 14 2006 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ellen

Y'all fail to realize that Robin Williams cannot control himself - he, himself, has spoken about it - nothing has changed - he's still out-of-control at times. I loved him then, still love him now. Y'all need to give him a break.

Just my opinion :)

October 14 2006 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not Bitter

He should have been sent back to Ork
for doing RV.
Nano Nano

October 13 2006 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I think Williams is a fantastic actor, but I never found his standup or his interviews funny in the least. I will watch a movie he is in, but will avoid anything live like the plague.

October 13 2006 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Robin Williams is completely out of control. He absolutely ruined Real Time with Bill Maher last week with his sophomoric rants and off-the-wall jibba jabba.

In fact, the show went 7 minutes long (the first time ever on RTBM) because Maher couldn't/didn't control him. Even the audience--I was in it--was scratching their heads.

The thing is he is really intelligent and articulate and has some excellent points when he is lucid.

Jonathan Winters was funny ranting, but Robin Williams is not even close.

October 12 2006 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rich

Andy Dick funny?????? you must be kidding, right???

October 12 2006 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

On Real Time with Bill Maher, Robin Williams was so desperate for attention, it was pathetic. He interrupted Bill Maher and the other two guest panelists continuously with idiotic comments just to get attention. He was fortunate that the others were gracious to him, I would have told him to shut the F---up. Half of the time I had no idea who he was trying to "be" with his goofy voices and dialogue. I watch that show first of all for the political banter, second for Bill Maher's great wit. Robin Williams' comedy is so twenty years ago. HEY, you're not Mork anymore! He just got out of alcohol rehab, but it's time to check in at the "attention obsession" addiction center.

October 12 2006 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

David,

I believe Joel said Robin Williams was great in "One Hour Photo". He did not address his feelings towards the merits of the movie itself, only Mr. Williams' acting in it.

October 12 2006 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply