April 17, 2014

Wednesday ratings: Lost remains big, The Nine loses big

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 12th 2006 7:02PM

LostIt's not a surprise that ABC's Lost did big numbers last night, it's two other pieces of news that were a little surprising.

One is that Criminal Minds actually got better ratings than Lost in the 9pm slot. Not a higher average of viewers (Lost won that), but a better rating. It's all so confusing. The other piece of news, and this makes me a little queasy in the stomach/intestinal region, is that The Nine lost 55% of the Lost lead-in audience. For some reason, everyone was watching CSI: NY and Dateline (doing better numbers than Kidnapped was doing in that slot, by the way).

Sigh. At least Jericho is still doing really well, keeping it's audience from the first few weeks intact.

Also, the debuts of NBC's new comedies, 30 Rock and Twenty Good Years, weren't so hot either.

For the record, CBS won for the night, though ABC won in that key 18-49 demo that everyone does cartwheels over. I'm only 8 1/2 years from 49. Does this mean that I have to start watching Matlock reruns and buying Polident? I mean, I'm sure Lost will still be on, and we'll all be wondering why Kate turned out to be a robot and why there was a combination Pizza Hut/time portal on the other side of the island no one knew about, but I'll probably have lost interest by that point.

Marck Bailey

This reaction -- "I don't like 'The Nine' because I know how it ends" -- just astounds me. We've seen a million bank heists on TVs and movies, stories where it's usually about who survives and who dies. This one is about life changes for these people after the event. You all say you know what happened in there. Were you watching the same show I was? Two people died. Seven survived. And that's the WHOLE story? Tell me why Felicia is apparently very close with one of the criminals. Tell me what's going on in the head of her dad, who was catatonic by the time the SWAT team broke in. Tell me how Eva was shot. Tell me what exactly happened with the negotiations and Tim Daly's character. You KNOW all this? Wow. You pick up on subtlety better than I do.

I think that's the real problem: "The Nine," while not the most subtle show in the world, at least flirts with subtlety. That means you have to work a bit. "Lost" (and understand that I'm a HUGE fan of "Lost") has all the subtlety of a ... well, of a plane crash. It's a great show, "Lost" is. But there's not much work involved. "The Nine" makes you dig a bit at the words and the minute reactions that pass between characters. And maybe that's what some of you must be finding pretty boring.

This is too bad. Give it a chance. Just because it doesn't knock you over the head in the first episode doesn't mean it can't grow on you. People forget that "Seinfeld" had atrocious ratings its first couple of seasons, but it found its audience (maybe that's you, maybe not, but it found it) and thrived. "The Nine," while an entirely different genre, deserves at least that same chance.

October 16 2006 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Misty

I don't like "The Nine" for the same reason I didn't bother seeing "Titanic" - I already knew the end.

I don't read the last chapter of a book first, so why would I want to watch it?

October 13 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
faustine

I tried to watch the pilot of the "Nine" and ended up sleeping on my sofa. This week I watched CSI-NY, it was not that great but at least I didn't sleep. Conclusion : "The nine" is boring.

October 13 2006 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ikon

To the person above who says it's not hard to follow more than one serialized drama at a time. I think the people complaining that The Nine follows LOST isnt' that it's too confusing, it's just that it's too much. The premise for The Nine seemed interesting to me, but after the intensity of LOST this just doesn't seem to matter all that much. The stakes aren't real, they got out and most survived. The show isn't about the bank heist but in how the people deal with the trauma of the bank heist after surviving it and how they deal with whatever happened during the 51 hours.

It would be more interesting if it didn't follow the king of serial dramas and had slightly more interesting and likeable characters.

October 13 2006 at 4:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I like The Nine, I like Lost, I like Jericho and I want to watch them all for a good while. I prefer serialized shows because they carry the potential for more complex storylines, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

I also agree that having The Nine on after Lost is a bad idea. The Nine needs to either be on before Lost or on another night since Lost is simply a hard act to follow and people are probably looking for something a bit more different after it ends.

October 13 2006 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I love watching serials. I love watching Lost. I don't like watching the Nine. It is boring. Serials dont have to be mysteries like Lost. All these new batches of shows seem to be trying to copy Lost and failing miserably. People forget that besides the island mystery on Lost, there is also some damn good drama. Like Locke's story, Sun and Jin and Jack. It's what puts Lost up in the stratosphere. Also, everyone is trying to force feed the Nine as the next Lost. Trouble is, you can't manufacture interest in a show. People either like it or they don't.

October 13 2006 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanTubbs

Jonny Rice: It's a question of time. I'm already watching Veronica Mars, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Jericho and Studio 60. I'm anticipating the return of 24 in January. That's too many shows to juggle. I've already decided I'll catch up on Smallville in a few years, when they're all on DVD. I'm hoping ABC will support the Nine, and make a committment to showing the complete show so one day I can pick it up on DVD.

I would have love to watch the Shark and Ugly Betty, but there are other things to do besides watch television.

October 12 2006 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Rice

I think it's a little odd that so many people seem so intent on on using the "I can't watch another serial besides Lost" excuse. I just don't get it. These people aren't stupid. They're able to string together intelligent sentences, so I assume they're able to follow a few serialized stories as well. But for other reasons they don't want to. Why, good viewers, why?

October 12 2006 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

I kinda force myself to watch the NINE each week. It's not really that great of a show. The hook behind the show, watch to findout what happened during the hold-up, really ain't that good of a hook when you know how it all turns-out. They also really DON"T show you much of what actually happened each week anyway.
The biggest issue for me though is....I really don't like any of the people. This was an issue with this summer's Lotto show AND Six Degrees. Writers need to not write just about messed-up people, but about people you can get emotionally involved with. I find ALL of the seven unlikeable.

October 12 2006 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I tried to watch the Nine, but lost interest in it after about 15 minutes. I really could care less what happened to those people inside since we know how everything ends. And with everyone pimping it left and right, it just kind of feels more manufactured and contrived than it already is. Lost is a hit because it was original. Also, I agree with the other poster that Lost and the Nine back to back is too much. I already watch Jericho (starting to get boring) and Lost. Truth is I either turn of the TV after lost, or I watch a comedy I Tivoed. This year's new shows are quite frankly boring. The only new ones I watch are studio 60, Jericho, and Friday Night Lights (best of the three IMO).

October 12 2006 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply