September 2, 2014

Why is ER so popular again?

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 12th 2006 3:59PM
Scott GrimesJust when you think a show is dying, it comes to life.

ER is currently in its 13th season, and NBC's original plan was to interrupt the run of the show for three months in early 2007 and premiere the new drama The Black Donnellys. But ER had to go and be one of the top rated NBC shows (it's always in the top 20 now), so now the plan is to keep ER on the air throughout the winter and spring.

I'll say one thing: I swore up and down, right here on this site, that I was through with ER and wasn't going to watch it anymore. But I find myself pulled back into it after checking in to see what happened to Jerry (he's OK, just on another show for now) and Abby's baby (it's OK, as Rich has reported). So I guess if the show can keep a jaded veteran ER watcher like me interested after so many years, it must be doing something right.

tracey21

ER still rocks! It is gritty and has great storylines and isn't a soapy drama. It has it's edge back.

October 13 2006 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
P. G. Sample, III (Krwlngindarkness)

Because of this, when is The Black Donnellys going to be on?

October 12 2006 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

I love it and Im glad its still on

October 12 2006 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I think it's related to the fact the Simpsons are still watched.

The Simpsons have been on forever and ER has been too. They have been on so long people will watch the shit no matter what.

October 12 2006 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wendell

"ER" is definately facing easier competition than last year (with apologies to James "Shark" Woods), but also, notice the success of "Grey's Anatomy" at 9PM. A lot of people (probably mostly women) who make "Grey's" their 'appointment TV' for Thursday night would probably prefer following it with "ER" than with ABC's "6 Degrees".

October 12 2006 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J-Sim

ER and NBC aren't doing anything right it's just that all of the other networks have screwed up. CBS moves "Without a Trace" for a poor substitute and ABC follows "Grey's Anatomy" with a poor followup. "What About Brian" would have been a better choice in matching audiences.

October 12 2006 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

The big reason it's rebounded in the ratings--Without a Trace moved.

It's an established show up against newcomers...

October 12 2006 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

I've loved this show since day one, and it's been a 10PM thursday night staple for me since (actually, now with TIVO, it's more of a saturday or sunday afternoon staple).

I'm glad people are back watching it. It's had it's ups and downs, but if it's on for another 10 years, I'm sure I'll be watching...

October 12 2006 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

I think, primarily, that it's due to the addition of John Stamos to the cast, who brings a certain George Clooney-ness back to the show that has been missing these past few years. Also, they have finally resolved the whole 'Why isn't Abby happy?' issue by having her baby survive (for now, at least). In addition, they cleared up alot of their hanging stories lines from previous seasons, making way for some fresh storytelling.

Oh, I also think they've realized that they're not 'Grey's Anatomy' and they've gone back to what they did best.

October 12 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply