October 20, 2014

Original content coming to Turner Classic Movies

by Brett Love, posted Oct 15th 2006 6:03PM
Gene WilderIn an effort to change how viewers perceive the network, Turner Classic Movies has unveiled a collection of original programming that they are readying for 2007. Rather than being seen as the network for old movies, they want to be known as "a dynamic television destination for movie lovers of all ages", as General Manager Tom Karsch puts it.

The network has ordered a pilot for Idols, though that name isn't a sure thing yet. The series will feature actors interviewing the people that influenced them. The first episode finds Alec Baldwin interviewing Gene Wilder. Yeah, that one surprised me, but it should make for an interesting conversation.

Also in the works is a series of documentaries. One of those is Spielberg on Spielberg, a 90 minute look at his film career. There are also plans for a look back at the career of Marlon Brando through interviews with James Caan, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, and Martin Scorcese.

Karen

I agree with Eric J. I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with being known as the old-movie channel. Old movies are great, right?

AMC started with original programming and the next thing you knew they went commercial. And THAT'S why they're no longer programmed as a "favorite" on my remote control. I would hate to see TMC make the same mistake. There are still a lot of great old movies that Netflix can't provide!

October 17 2006 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I'm sure my old and silent movie fan friends are posting in the apprpriate newsgroups about this - and probably post in anger - but I'm sort of okay with this so long as they don't start throwing commercials into the mix and they're still primarily movies. The Idols (or whatever the name will be) show sounds like it could be a good one along the lines of what the channel is doing right now with the Dick Cavett interviews. As for the documentaries, well TCM has always done documentaries including a recent one on Merian Cooper - the man who creaed King Kong and so much more.

October 16 2006 at 6:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

These don't sound like bad ideas, but it also sounds like the first steps that American Movie Classics took on the road to their current state of suckage.

October 15 2006 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

Ya know M-D, I was thinking the same thing when I did the post (I really liked G4's Icons), which is probably why I put the wrong name. The working title of the show is Idols, not Icons. I've fixed it.

October 15 2006 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

Comcast could have an issue with TCM using the name "Icons" for a show - they've already used that title for a profile series on G4.

October 15 2006 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn-Renee Kittel

Oh how creative! Still along the same theme, but more like behind the scense shtuff. Wonderful.

I hope to see the interview of Gene Wilder. That ought to be very interestingly funny.

Kind Regards,
Reni
=^..^=

October 15 2006 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

This could be fun. I luv Gene Wilder and having these old time classic stars interviewed will be totally awesome! Great chance to see what some of these people are doing these days.

October 15 2006 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bart Smith

I think TCM is pretty much perfect as it is. Hopefully the original content doesn't mess up things too much.

That being said, just about the only good thing about AMC is SUNDAY MONDAY SHOOTOUT.

October 15 2006 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply