September 22, 2014

Would you watch Match Game on DVD?

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 15th 2006 11:36AM
Match GameNow, I used to watch Match Game when I was a kid. It was a cheesy, goofy, slightly racy (I knew all that even when I was 8 and 9 years old) celeb-filled 70s game show that was good for a laugh or two during the day. But now comes word that a Best of Match Game 4-disc set is coming November 21, and I don't know how I feel about that.

Does someone really want to sit down on their couch and throw in a DVD of a game show? I mean, if they had some "classic" episodes, then it might be worth taking a look at, but is there really enough material here for 4 discs? Maybe it has a lot of extras on it, like interviews with some of the cast, and maybe a fast "Dumb Dora" montage. That might be funny.

Match Game fans, will you buy this set?

(Oh, and the answer to the question on the cover? "Iron," obviously!)

Sam

The Match Game collection will be 4 discs containing 30 episodes. It has both the funniest moments from those episodes (chaptered in a special feature hosted by Brett Somers), but also the unedited episodes (GSN does trims here and there) for fans who are "completists" / "purists".

Perosnally, I can't wait for the set to be released. An Icon of a bygone era.

October 17 2006 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Yep, I'm tempted. Pricing will matter. I love this show. I watch it all the time one GSN. One of the all time great shows on television, and one that we could never redo - the racy, inappropriate and politically incorrect aspect of it draws me in every time. I cannot turn away and I am absolutely gleeful when watching. Kind of like a game show version of All In The Family.

October 16 2006 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

I'm definitely buying the DVD when it's out. I love "Match Game" and watch the reruns on GSN. It was a great show and the classic moments are still funny decades later.

For me, the appeal of a set like this is that it is classic moments, not whole episodes. I know a lot of diehard game show fans who want full seasons of shows like "Match Game" released. They can't seem to understand that a "complete season" of a prime time show is about 20-25 episodes, whereas a complete year of a daytime game would be more than 200 episodes, and probably the majority of them wouldn't be worth watching again because of the lack of little "gem" moments like those that'll likely be featured on the DVD set.

I've got a "Best of" Ed Sullivan Show DVD that I've watched several times and will watch again. "Match Game" will get plenty of looks here as well. I hope they do a similar compilation for "The Price is Right" one day.

October 16 2006 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

Why would purchasing Match Game on DVD be any different from, say, someone purchasing any other TV show on DVD?

October 15 2006 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim G

One of my students is making a video podcast version of the Match Game - he's a huge fan and the students play it in their dorm room, making up their own questions. This video version is shot in one of our tv studios. The first episode is long - but he's aiming for a 15 minute length in the future.

URL: http://citywatermelon.blip.tv/

October 15 2006 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott K

Fun Fact: Gene's tombstone reads "Loving husband, father and blank"

Ok thats not true, but this dvd might be pretty entertaining the first time around, although they replay the show all the time on GSN.

October 15 2006 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martha Fischer

Oooooh boy -- I'm tempted, too. That's the sort of box that I'd probably hate myself for buying, but assuming "best of" means "chock-full of the most outrageously lecherous behavior," the momentary pleasure would be almost worth the price. Oh, who am I kidding? I'd buy it just to see how many times Richard Dawson wrote "Boobs." as his answer.

October 15 2006 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean P. Aune

I might rent it from Netflix, but I certainly can't see investing in it. How could you really watch it more than once?

October 15 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I have to admit I'm tempted; it really depends on how much it costs. I don't know if MG has classic episodes as much as classic moments (such as Gene Rayburn's slip-of-the-tongue comment on a contestant's dimples).

If they were smart, they'd include a Match Game drinking game with the set.

"Every time Gene yells at the audience, take a drink."

Well, maybe not...