April 18, 2014

The Class: The Class Gets Frozen Yogurt

by Joel Keller, posted Oct 16th 2006 11:31PM
The Class(S01E05) This review is not going to be pretty, boys and girls, because I'm starting to lose my patience with The Class. There's too many stories and not enough laughs. Right now, the only storyline that has any redeeming qualities, the constant efforts of Kat to bring Ethan out of his nice guy shell, really is just being used as a goofy side-story to all of the other, more emotional stories. But the problem is, those stories are becoming less entertaining by the week, and the "complications" that the writers are throwing in are just distractions.

The Kyle/Holly storyline is straight out of the Bad Sitcom Misunderstanding Handbook. Kyle can't tell Holly that she's annoying, so he says he doesn't want her and Oprah around his school because he's still got feelings for her. Then he finally pulls strings after an appeal from Perry, who makes the obvious statement of the year: "We all have feelings we don't want, but we push them right down." Uh, yeah. No shit. Anyway, when Kyle finally tells Holly why he lied, she still thinks he has feelings for her. Hilarious. Send all of these characters down an elevator shaft and The Class automatically gets 33% better.

It looks like Richie and Lina are going to continue to be star-crossed. Richie's wife -- Sara Gilbert, of all people -- constantly insults him. He needs money, so he goes to work for Duncan at Yonk and Nicole's place. They can sort of talk about the stuff that gets in the way of what they want, but not really. Yeesh. The presence of Richie's wife makes the story with him and Lina less funny and more angsty, neither of which is helpful. So now we have two triangles to deal with (Duncan/Nicole/Yonk and Richie/Richie's shrewish wife/Lina) and right now neither is that interesting.

So, back to the only decent story: Kat getting Ethan to try ten samples at the frozen yogurt shop and then not buy anything. It's funny because Kat always has good lines; when Ethan tells her what he wants to get in the opening scene, she deadpans, "It's exciting going behind the scenes of your order." And it was kind of funny that she had Ethan hold her ground on line, even though a kid whose dog just died was behind him. But I have to wonder, where are these two characters going? Are they going to date? Just stay friends? Why is Kat even trying to transform the too-nice Ethan? There's nothing beneath the story; the irony is, though, that it's the only pair where "story" isn't getting in the way of "humor." So maybe the whole show should be about Kat and Ethan and leave it at that.

Oh, and we see how well Lina's doing back at her receptionist's job. Nice of her company to not make any effort to adapt her workplace to her current disabled status, huh? Anyway, there's no reason why she's there beyond showing the latest cliffhanger: Richie's wife works in her building... as the janitor! OOOOOOHHH! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Well, not really. Like I said, this show is starting to lose me. I'm giving it one more week, and if fails to bring the funny, I'm walking away. It's a shame; after How I Met Your Mother, I'm primed to laugh. Too bad The Class is failing to deliver.

soundacious

Someone in the last post mentioned that The Class reminded them of "Soap". That is completely on the money. This show is essentially 21st century Soap. It can't be an accident, it's just too on the money.

Personally, I'm laughing my ass off.

October 20 2006 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladi

I really wanted to like this show, and I did enjoy the first couple of episodes. But I just removed it from my TIVO last night.

October 17 2006 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Not Bitter

This show gets more unlikable by the week.
I'll give it one more try then
The Class get cancelled.

October 17 2006 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sensitive_man

I find myself disliking the show more with every episode.
After watching last night I have removed it from Season Pass.

October 17 2006 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

The nice thing is I skipped through the whole Kyle/Holly storyline on my DVR (apparently that's what those boring people's names are) and didn't miss a thing.

October 17 2006 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrienne

I try and try to like The Class, but I can't. It has too many stories and none of them are very good.

October 17 2006 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
renee

I like this show more with every episode. except for the Kyle/Holly story line, I think they are all interesting, and the laughs are unexpected, not formulaic. I think its the best new sitcom this year. ok thats not saying much, but its great!

October 17 2006 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I really want to like this show. Last week's ep was sort of a let down but I liked the cliff hanger. I've yet to see this week's ep but I'm cautiously optimistic.

My biggest problem with this show is the chemistry and acting. It still feels stilted and/or forced to me. The laughs are there (for me) occasionally but it's not as smooth as I think a successfull show needs to be. The Class needs to find it's chemistry quick or I'll be forced to move on.

October 17 2006 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginny

I liked the premise of this show at the beginning but am really not liking these people much now.
Ethan is a nice guy and a story could be written with him as a nice guy.
Kat is selfish and rude and I wouldn't want to know her.
Duncan was a good guy until he hooked up with the cheating Nicole. I don't like watcing cheaters or those who they are cheating with.
I love Lina. She's sweet and innocent and trusting. I just hope Richie is living with his sister or cousin or ex-wife because of money problems and that he's not a cheater too.
I'm only going to give this show a few more episodes before I flip the channel.
I just can't see sticking around for two (Ethan and Lina)(three? Richie?) nice characters out of so many - especially if one of them (Ethan) is going to become a jerk.

October 17 2006 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Funnier than Two and a Half Men?!? I must disagree.

Men always has at least one or two laugh out loud lines or moments per show. The Class has yet to make do more than chuckle in the few weeks its been on the air. I think part of it is the Class is so full of cliches while Two and a Half Men, at least the comedy comes from our knowing the characters and their personalities.

October 17 2006 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply