July 30, 2014

Brothers & Sisters gets full season order

by Brett Love, posted Oct 17th 2006 7:36AM
Sally FieldThis time of year for television producers is like picking teams for dodge ball in junior high. Kind of, only instead of getting laughed at for not being picked you lose your gig and have your dreams crushed. Dodge ball is a tough game. As the pickups roll in for one series after another, some shows are left sitting on the bench no matter how hard they chant "Pick Me!" inside their heads.

ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson announced that the network has ordered the full season of Brothers & Sisters. While the ratings for the time slot have dropped from last year, the show was never expected to repeat the Grey's Anatomy numbers. And while it is second overall to Without A Trace in the time slot it continues to perform well. ABC has a list of demographics and freshly spun numbers they'd love to show you to prove it. You can see them in the press release after the jump.

ABC TELEVISION NETWORK

October 16, 2006

"BROTHERS & SISTERS" PICKED UP FOR A FULL SEASON

ABC's new hit series "Brothers & Sisters" was picked up for a full season order, Stephen McPherson, president of ABC Entertainment, announced today. The critically acclaimed drama marking Calista Flockhart's triumphant return to primetime television focuses on the Walker family, five complicated adult siblings who embrace one another unconditionally while striving to reflect the perceived perfection of their role model parents. The series is executive-produced by Ken Olin, playwright Jon Robin Baitz and Greg Berlanti.

"'Brothers & Sisters' is a great addition to our Sunday night lineup and has given us a strong complement to 'Desperate Housewives,'" said McPherson.

This past Sunday "Brothers & Sisters" won the 10 o'clock hour among Adults 18-49 (4.9/12) and across key women (W18-34 - 5.3/14, W18-49 - 7.2/17 & W25-54 - 8.2/18), defeating both CBS and NBC in the hour (fast affiliate ratings for 10/15). The ABC freshman is the top new program on any night in the 10 o'clock hour among Adults 18-49 and is the second-highest-rated new series of the season among Adults 18-49. "Brothers & Sisters" leads its CBS drama competition in the time period across key adults demos by 47% in Adults 18-34 (4.4/12 vs. 3.0/8) and 22% with Adults 18-49 (5.5/14 vs. 4.5/11).

About "Brothers & Sisters":

"Brothers & Sisters" is a compelling, new one-hour primetime drama from executive producers Ken Olin, playwright Jon Robin Baitz and Greg Berlanti about the California-based Walker family. In the series, we meet a collection of incredibly intertwined and somewhat damaged adult siblings who embrace one another unconditionally while striving to reflect the perceived perfection of their role model parents. In the days ahead, they will navigate waves of temptation, deception and grief.

"Brothers & Sisters" stars Calista Flockhart ("Ally McBeal") as Kitty, Rachel Griffiths ("Six Feet Under") as Sarah, Sally Field ("Norman Rae") as Nora Holden, Ron Rifkin ("Alias") as Saul Holden, Patricia Wettig ("thirtysomething") as Holly, Balthazar Getty ("Alias") as Thomas, Dave Annable ("Reunion") as Justin, Matthew Rhys ("Titus," "Love and other Disasters") as Kevin, John Pyper-Ferguson ("Unforgiven," "Nightstalker") as Joe and Sarah Jane Morris ("Felicity") as Julia.

Ken Olin ("Alias," "thirtysomething"), Jon Robin Baitz ("The Substance of Fire," "The West Wing") and Greg Berlanti ("Jack & Bobby," "Everwood") are executive producers. The series is produced by Touchstone Television.

"Brothers & Sisters" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound and Spanish subtitles via secondary closed captioning.

[ thanks Porchland ]

Rick Zumbaugh

I LOVE this show - it is crazy but real. ALL the actors do a fantastic job and it doesn't seem to be a one sided actors show, which is great. Everything they've dealt with is REAL - gay guy and all. It is actually nice seeing pretty normal situations dealt to gay characters - wow, they even kissed several times like normal straight characters would. It is refreshing.

November 19 2006 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Molly Rowland

Whoever said it would probably be cancelled, I hope not. It's not just for baby boomers... I'm 18 and this is my fave new show this season. Let's all just keep watching and hope they have enough sense to keep it!

November 13 2006 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANDREA

I LOVE THIS SHOW. I CAN RELATE TO BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN A FAMILY CIRCLE. IF THE WRITING STAYS GOOD THEN THE SHOW WILL WORK.

November 03 2006 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
randy haukom

This show is brilliant! It displays dysfunction in reality. This family, despite its myriad trials and tribulations, bickers and bites, but it also relies upon one another when it really matters. It shows family as it should - with flaws, but with the functionality and the love that not only comes with it but conquers everything in the end.

Now, as for all of you who have trouble with seeing gay characters portrayed on screen, it's really time to face the times we all live in. Gay people live and love just like the rest of society and have no reason to not live their lives. If they cannot display simple acts of affection, then why not just stone them to death for having feelings because you wish to imprison them within their own skin. How would you feel if you could never express yourself or even see a simple heterosexual kiss on screen?

By the way, I told my sister she HAS to watch it. I told her, "This is our family!" The only difference is we have six siblings. Three brothers did work the family business with Dad. The extra sibling would be the gay brother in our case and he did not work in the fmaily business, much like Kevin. And when dad did die of cancer, no mistress came out of the woodwork that we know of...thank God.

November 03 2006 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mona sherry

Brothers and Sisters is one of the best shows on Tv. While many shows today are geared to the 20-30 crowd, by the inclusion of 50/60 something Mom (sally field)uncles, dead dad etc, it brings the story a multi generational context. it is appealing to many of us who have lost entertainment(baby boomers)like West Wing and Commander in Chief. I love watching Sally Field, and as a matriarch for a large family I relate to her strength and compassion. I hope they keep it. Knowing Tv networks, who think baby boomers have one foot in the grave, and aren't in charge of their clickers anymore, it will probably be voted off the iland, sadly.

November 03 2006 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annette

Brothers and Sisters is the best Tv show I have seen in a long time. It relates to real life families. I think it makes everyone who watches feel better about there own families and that we realize there is a little disfunction in every family. I love all the actors and I love the story lines and I also love how they don't drag one thing out to long. I miss the last episode 10/29/06 because of the time change. My TEvo didn't record it. Is there any way I can watch the last episode on line?

October 31 2006 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

Every week, I like this show more and more. The cast is great, and I love seeing Sally Field again. Why isn't TV Squad reviewing it? Get on the ball guys!

October 23 2006 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This show has tended towards the melodramatic in the last few episodes, but it's really growing on me. It's just a lot of fun to watch some an experienced and talented cast work together. Sally Field has been somewhat over the top, but overall I really enjoy watching the show. It really gets some of the family dynamic you don't see on TV these days. I'm glad ABC is sticking with it.

October 17 2006 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

The show has grown on me a lot. I still think that Sally Field and Calista Flockhart have moments where they're grossly overacting, but the rest of the cast is solid. There's probably one too many sibling to keep track of. I hope the show continues to be an ensemble and not turn into a Flockhart star vehicle. I particularly like the gay brother Kevin--it's a very realistic portrayal, as the one who's left to spend time with the mom. Ron Rifkin has been a very welcome presence, too. I'm starting to really like these people--I'm thrilled that it got picked up for the whole season!

October 17 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MC

The blond was the wife of one of the brothers, Balthazar Getty as Thomas. She's been in other episodes so far, but never has any lines.

Since the show is being picked up, does this mean that you'll review it now? Please start reviewing it regularly! I love this show!!!

October 17 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply