April 23, 2014

Jericho: Federal Response

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 18th 2006 9:16PM

Skeet Ulrich(S01E05) You know how NBC's Heroes does endings really well? Actually, they do everything really well, but their episode endings are particularly cool and intriguing.

Jericho is like that with their openings.

The power comes back on, and not only does an "Emergency Alert" sign come up on all televisions, but every home and business in Jericho gets a phone call from the Department of Homeland Security. It's a recording, telling them to stay where they are, help is on the way. This is an amazingly creepy, effective scene. You wonder if that's how it will be if anything like this really happens.

While the mysterious Hawkins keeps on getting more and more mysterious (is he a good guy or a bad guy, what's with all the e-mailing in foreign languages, and what does he want to teach his kids in case he has to leave?), we have another mysterious character to deal with: Jake. There are a lot of references to why he left town for so many years: he wasn't prom king or first in his class, it was something bad, and his dad is having a hard time forgiving him.

Meanwhile, citizens trying to access the Internet aren't having any luck. They're getting the same "Emergency Alert" on their screens as on the TV screens. But one girl wonders why the Net is down, when it was developed by the military to withstand a nuclear war. Is this true? I know it was once, but the way the web is now, isn't that not as true as it once was? I would hate people not to be able to access TV Squad if there was some major problem. (In the funniest line of the night, one of the teen girls asks, "I wonder what Lindsay Lohan is doing right now...do you think she's alive?")

The power comes back on, causing a power surge, and a power line comes down and zaps the hot blonde Emily. Jake calls Johnson to cut the power so the fire department can put out the electrical power. The library catches on fire, trapping Eric, Heather, and a girl named Heather.

Cliffhanger! Insert LensCrafters commercial.

Jake gets the water back on and they're rescued. That was quick. Jake goes on the roof to see how the fires are doing, and as he sees a new fire near Eric's home, he also spies Hawkins at a picnic table...on a computer! But I'm wondering why this is a shock to Jake, since you couldn't see what he's doing on the laptop. He could be playing Tetris for all Jake knows. But he confronts Hawkins anyway, and Hawkins seems a little mad that Jake would be suspicious of him. Um, you are, Hawkins? You're a stranger in town acting all mysterioso. Hawkins says he'll help Jake with the fire. They get to the fire, and Hawkins asks Jake how he knows how to do all this stuff, and Jake says "I used to be a pool guy." Jake holds a hose on the fire, but an explosion out of the window pushes him back. Hawkins disappears.

Cliffhanger! Insert Nissan commercial (this isn't a dig, I actually like these little cliffhangers before the next scene).

Hawkins only went to get his car, and plugs the hose power cord into the outlet. Jake says that was quick thinking, and Hawkins says "Yeah, I was a pool guy too." Heh.

In teen romance land, Dale tells Bonnie that his trailer park burned down. In adult ex-romance land, Eric and April talk about their upcoming divorce. April wants another chance, but Eric likes the bar owner now...but he and April go to live with his parents with Jake.

At the end, Jake and his dad have a heart to heart talk over a drink, and Johnson tells him he doesn't care where he's been for four years, because a punk kid left town, but a man came back; Hawkins checks out some info online and finds some interesting information about Jake; and on the bar's TV screen, a shot of an official Homeland Security podium...but the feed is lost. Just then, the earth starts to shake, and as the citizens rush outside they see rockets heading into the sky...

Hey, I guess Jericho does endings well too.

Atrvs Marcellvs

Comment.

The first 8 or 9 "suitcase" a-bombs or small hydrogent bombs seam to have attacked the Internet DNS humbs. The Internet was designed at first not to have any central data centers.. military would use IP addresses only. But, that is a bitch to log into AOL each time with 153.45.244.34! SO, DNS was added and when you type in www.aol.com, you're connected to thier IP address.

We have one of these centers here in Mountain View (no San Francisco). It is a sunken building, very low key. Don't think a truck bomb would hurt it.

I'm sure if you wanted to really confuse the USA... hit the internet where it hurts...DNS servers.

That is my 2 cents... and I'm not a IP admin.

AWH

October 30 2006 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Pulrang

A co-worker and I hammered out a theory. 1. Jake is an ex-elite military or intellegence guy, probably drummed out of the service ... hence the security flag. Nothing more dangerous than a potentially pissed ex-spy. 2. Hawkins is a good guy who is part of a government secret force of some kind. He and his group got wind of the coming disaster (whatever the source) and being unable to stop it, set up to deal with it as best they could once it happened. If the strikes were not from a foreign country or a terrorist group, (which they might still turn out to be), maybe it was a renegate internal coup that Hawkins' group found out about, but couldn't stop.

The relationship between Hawkins and Jack is interesting. I think that Hawkins' little verbal dance with Jake indicates that both men are cautiously recognizing each other as two men with very similar backgrounds that neither can openly acknowledge yet. That "I was a pool boy, too" comment ... I think that on some level, both men used "pool boy" as a euphemism for something.

I, too, could do without the little petty dramas thrown in, but it doesn't bother me too much. The main story is compelling enough.

October 23 2006 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shaun

Let the physicists write the tv shows and we will all fall asleep.

I go into a series, expecting drama and to be entertained.

If I want science I would watch Discovery or PBS.

I do not want any more reality shows and a tv dramatic series is supposed to give you escapism and to an extent stretch reality or it would not be a drama.

There are some who are analyzing this series down to the last detail, come on guys its a tv show.

Relax and enjoy it or you will get more reality shows.

October 22 2006 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Azrael

About Jake being Special Forces or some time of unconventional warrior...had there been any hint as to how long he has been away from home (aka: the prodigal son). If it is anything less than say three years he wouldn't be simply becuase it takes at least that long to be completely trained and mission ready. Thats not even mentioning the fact he would have no real world experience. Or the writers could just "make it happen" and then it would be a case of deplorable writing and research.

October 21 2006 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shaun

Hawkins is a big mystery for sure, but what about Jake and just where he was and what he was doing those 5 years.

Next week the situation gets worse for the town.

Carol Barbee said on my radio program that each episode is another piece of the puzzle.

Also she said a return to the old west is on deck for Jericho.

Stay tuned my friends as Jericho is just starting.

October 21 2006 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kao

Most underutilized character isn't the mayor. Its his wife Gail! I think that they could do 1/2 of a show on the town's shadow government. Every midwestern town has one. Its mostly middle-age women (church ladies, red-cross volunteers, hospital helpers, library boards and PTAs) who keep the regular everyday stuff running in the best and worst of times. I can picture Gail having been a charter member of most of the groups. (An earlier exchange with her husband had been something like Mayor: "who do you think is in charge here?" Gail "you really don't want me to answer that question." ) So, have the writers fill a community center room with a bunch of older, overweight extras discussing what needs to be done. They would never have to be on the show again. From then on, we'll just assume things are chugging along in the background just like they have since Day 1 of the emergency. They will know everyone in town and who needs help. They will also know everyone's background and what skills they can share. The ex-peace corps volunteer will teach them to make bread. The ex-hippie will teach them to make yoghurt. The master gardener will get everyone to plow up their lawn. Then we can go back to focusing our attention on TV's typical females ... slim 28-year olds and spoiled teen queens.

October 20 2006 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVGenius

Umm, to the guy above who asked whether anyone in Jerico has XM, yes. It's sitting on Hawkins' table outside next to his computer when he's looking at Jake's info. There's a SkyFi2 in a boombox very clearly next to him. Seems like a strange thing to have as an innocent prop, if you ask me...

October 20 2006 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

I thought the middle dragged just a bit. And I wonder why on earth are they not using their best actor, Gerald McRaney more? I sure wish they would.
Also, his name is Johnston, not Johnson.
Looking forward to next week. I'll stay with the show.

October 20 2006 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mace

True... SpecOps are in for more than 5 years. My take: he's AWOL or was on leave (vacation in military terms) when the Nuke attacks occurred.

October 20 2006 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcel

So you're in a post-third-world-war-like situation and the power just came back. What are you going to do? Right, you clean your house! wtf?
I really start to hate the writers for making up such unrealistic bullshit. The idea of this show had so much potential and they completely ruined it. no matter what the explosions caused, no one _NO ONE_ would act in such a situation like the people in jericho do. it freaks me out, because I wanted this show to be good.
I guess BSG completely spoiled me on this. I'm expecting sci-fi- or actionseries to have reasonable characters who do stuff I think of being realistic these days. That's by no standard the case with jericho. and the middle of the ep. was a horrible filler, too.

"the whole show is too soap opera for me. I'm glad CBS have a minor hit for themselves, but I'm tuning out for good. I was expecting some real political drama"

me too, me too