October 23, 2014

Law & Order SVU: Confrontation

by Anna Johns, posted Oct 18th 2006 7:19AM
christopher meloni; connie nielsen; svu
(S08E05) Det. Stabler wears tightie whities! Is that what stood out to the rest of you in this episode, too? Maybe it's just a girl thing but he makes those undies look goooood (she says, in a Will Smith/Men in Black sort-of way).

We finally learn exactly what happened when Det. Beck's husband was killed on the job: two 15-year olds stole a car and decided to get stupid when they got caught by 'Mike'. They shot him in the head. I thoroughly enjoyed Dani's iciness when Det. Stabler attempted to talk to her about the crime. He figured out that she went up to the prison, but not to see the shooters. She went to see the dead body of one of the shooters who was killed in a prison brawl. All ice, that woman.

And blind with rage! She broke with the plan to catch the rapist and instead confronted him on a dark street and nearly had her throat slit. At the end, she realized she was out of control and had Det. Stabler go to Attica with her where she confronted one of the idiots who killed her husband. I loved Stabler's line when the kid asked what he was doing there, he says, "I'm just here to protect you." Beck decides she needs to forgive her husband's killer... wrapping up her storyline because Mariska Hargitay is returning in two weeks. Although, I kinda think that Beck and Stabler are gonna hook up before she leaves the show. That will definitely complicate things with Det. Olivia Benson's return, won't it?

How about that case? Good grief, how disturbing was that? The detectives were after a rapist who returns to rape his victims again, and he does it based on their menstrual cycles. It turns out the rapist is Lou Dickson, an office manager for the property management company that operates all the buildings where the victims live. (That one was pretty obvious when we first met Dickson) The case takes a good twist during the trial portion of the episode where Kasey charges another rape victim with perjury because she's lying about how many times she was raped. The rapist successfully got this one pregnant and she's keeping it secret because she and her husband have been trying to get pregnant for a year. What an effed-up mess.

Amazingly, Det. Beck confronts the pregnant victim and talks her into taking a paternity test, which proves Dickson is the father of the baby. It turns out, he was just conducting his own, personal scientific experiment on regular women by raping them. He believes in putting the right genes in the right womb... creating a master race. Dickson is one of the most disturbing criminals we've seen in a long time on SVU.

wendy

i miss olivia, the show is not the same without her..olivia and stabler make a great pair and the show is not the same without them together..and when are they finally going to let them have a little romance? i keep waiting...

January 01 2007 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cabotfan

Is Alex coming back to SVU????

October 31 2006 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trachein

Anna, if you dig Meloni in his tighty whities, can I recommend Oz? You can catch it on HBO On Demand.

October 28 2006 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn-Renee Kittel

Here's to Beck's complex character development & Stabler's partner support, Elliot's choice in underwear, and the suspiciously obvious shadows on this week's loony bad guy.

=^..^=

October 20 2006 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

the lawyer's name is Casey, not Kasey.

i liked this episode because i stopped hating dani just to hate her. she seems more personable now, tho not as much as olivia is. i still hope that the rumors of dani and elliot hooking up aren't true :(

October 18 2006 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Um,.. I don't think they charged the victim with Perjury. I beleive they charged her with hindering a police investigation since she wouldn't comply with a paternity test to determine if the baby was from the rapist.

And I'm with the rest of you. As soon as they showed the office manager in the offices, you knew he was the one who did it. It was almost as if the style of the lighting on him was different. I don't know what it was, but something in that scene just screamed "He's the one your looking for". What happened to the days of L&O when distinguishing the perp from the others wasn't nearly as easy?

October 18 2006 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

This season is shaping up to be much better than last season. Detective Beck's presence is probably at least partially responsible for that. Hopefully the quality stays high when Olivia returns.

October 18 2006 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rose

thank god olivias comeing back still think her an stabler need to have a thing going on spice up the show no offence to beck but olivia is the best partner for stabler and beck is a lil boreing sorry,keep it going olivia an stabler, I LOVE svu ,

October 18 2006 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I believe I actually read that Stabler and Beck were going to get involved and I got the impression she isn't leaving that quickly. I was kind of "huh" after reading that but you could see it coming now after last night's episode.

We all picked out the rapist ASAP on this one. As soon as they showed him I said he did it. What was sick was the calendars they found. I also was a tad annoyed at that one captain who said they were out solving real crimes, I know that he thought the 2nd rape wasn't real and that is what he meant but it came across as rape wasn't a real crime and what SVU does wasn't real or something. The comment just struck me as odd and poorly worded on the writers part.

October 18 2006 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keri

yay I cant wait for *Olivia* to return to SVU... Ive watched that show forever and its not the same without her... in fact since shes left I rarely watch it... I love the chemistry between *Elliot and Olivia* and they make the show... hurry back Mariska you are most definately missed!!!

October 18 2006 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply