October 22, 2014

The Nine: What's Your Emergency?

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 18th 2006 11:30PM
The Nine(S01E03) Tonight was a great night for openings. First Jericho, and now The Nine. The opening scene wasn't just tension-filled, it was a great piece of filmmaking, showing the first hour of the bank robbery, where everyone was, and what happened. One of those well-done scenes that have a lot of characters and a lot of things happening, but you know exactly what's going on and what everyone is doing. And it clued us into how this show is going to operate in each episode. They're not just showing us what happened with a flashback, it's almost as if each episode is a new look at what happened, not just a flashback rehash of stuff we already know.

The comatose Randall that Jeremy "killed" with a syringe last week? He's alive!

I mentioned Six Degrees earlier. They could learn a lot by watching this show (or many shows, for that matter). Sure, there's the "what happened in there" gimmick, but I swear that this show would be interesting even without that bank robbery. That's how well the characters are drawn and how good each story is. Of course, I can only say that because we're seeing how every one of their lives was interrupted by the bank robbery, and changed forever, so we'll never know how those lives would have been, except for a few moments in the pilot. As it stands now:

Jeremy is feeling guilty about what he did to the con in the hosptial. And he's still interested in Franny.

Nick goes back to the force, gets his medal, and decides not to push things with how the whole hostage negotiation went down (or has he?). andhe also has to deal with the knowledge that Jeremy told Lizzie that he wanted Randall dead. Nick confronts Jeremy and he admits it.

Egan gets fired from his job, and now he's acting...well, different. "Listening to loud music in the garage, exercising, and wanting a baby" different. And he goes to an employment agency for another job, but finds they're all hellish cubicle jobs. He needs something more. Maybe he should try Monster.com, since their theme song is what he was listening to in the garage.

Lizzie is pregnant.

Franny needs work too. She brings her nephew Ricky into the hospital. He was hurt after locking himself in the bathroom (?). Jeremy looks at him.

Kathryn is in court again, but she can't put the robbery behind her either. And what's going on with Lizzie might ring a bell with her too.

Felicia is struggling mightily with trying to remember what happened those two days, and with the guilt of finding out that her cell phone made things worse. Her therapist takes her back to those 52 hours under hypnosis, but she can only remember up to a certain point. So later she decides to...break into the bank! Her dad isn't sure how to help her, and he almost hopes she never remembers what happened in there. As for Randall, an investigator wants to know what happened, and wonders why Felicia keeps trying to contact Randall.

At the end, her dad summons all of the survivors to his house so they can tell Felicia what happened in the bank. (Cool how these people are all attached to one another now, and it's not unbelivable - you believe it and it feels right.)

I'm not quite sure why this show isn't doing better in the ratings. Because it has a great ensemble cast and a soap opera-ish (and I mean that in a good way) set up, but at the same time has just a bit of a suspense thriller, a bit of a twist to it to get viewers looking for something with more of an edge, a whodunnit (or, in this case, a howhappened). It's like an episode of Six Degrees or ER, only with this constant hint of dread that's always in the background. I like that, and I really like this show so far.

Kira Richardson

People people people. Its a TV show, and like with every TV show on earth, reality must be suspended. Lost(which I love)? Yeah thats realistic! 24 (my other favorite show) is about as plausible as the Easter Bunny. How about Friends? I'm sure Monica and Rachel could have REALLY afforded that NYC loft on their hefty salaries! LOL! TV is never completely realistic. Not even "reality TV" is real most of the time.

I have my real life, I watch TV for the escape and suspension of reality. The Nine is really picking up steam in my opinion. The acting is great, the writing is well done and the concept is very interesting.

My only hope is that show stays on the air long enough to see it through. I'd hate to see all these people who bitch about the "lack of a realistic floor" go away and leave the ratings in the tank.

Lighten up folks, and just enjoy the ride.

October 24 2006 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Cyrus, I use close-captioned and the song that you are referring to was Cat Stevens. CC always tells you the artist of the songs that are being played along with the words.

Karen, you must be a real music lover. You did a good job in guessing the "correct" artist voice!

October 19 2006 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I'm hooked. I don't think that brand new storylines/ideas need to be introduced in every episode of any show. I think they are building the characters in a way that you can start to relate with one/some of them. I hope The Nine starts to do better in the ratings, but this expectation of instant gratification from so many viewers may cause an early end to a great show.

October 19 2006 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

What I'd like to know is where I can buy some of that wonderful, ultra-sound absorbant flooring they've got installed in that bank. What with the number of times that cell phone was sent sliding across the room, you'd have thought the one robber would have noticed, regardless of how much attention he was having to pay to the conversation at the front door. Nope. Not even a whisper from the phone, and not even a glance or a clue on the part of the robber. Ab-so-lute-ly silent.

Like I said, I gotta get me some of that flooring for my place.

October 19 2006 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clara N.

I'm trying to stay with this one, sure common sense says use the desk phone, but if all the problems were resolved there wouldn't be any T.V. shows. Chi McBride does a terrific job as a father trying to help his daughter, but it sort of fell flat in the end when there was no trauma involved in Felecia's memory loss, she just felt guilty, those visits to the jail hinted at something a lot heavier. The worst thing that I can see is that every five, that's it five minutes they have five minutes of commercials, it is sort of difficult to stay interested when some guy is selling a car every few minutes just when something looks as if it is going to happen. Why are we still in the first hour when there are 51 more to go? I really want to like this show and I'll stay with it just out of couriosity, hate to leave anything unfinished.

October 19 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dk

This show is loosing me - I was really into it and recommending it to friends and now I don't know if I will watch - it's way too slow and predictable - plus we know all these people made it out of the bank which takes some of the tension out of the robbery scenes - omg she's on the phone will they catch her and kill her - well... no she's still alive - anyway there is hope but they have to pick up the pace

October 19 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Stevens

Some of these criticisms are close, but just off enough where I get a little chuckle. Yes, some of the writing is forced, but the interaction between Kathryn and Lizzie? It was obvious to me that they'd had a conversation in the bank that we were being let in on by the way the two interacted. Sure enough, it was revealed towards the end of the episode. Yes, it felt awkward at first because you can tell there's a history that you know nothing about, but unlike Lost, you're clued in pretty quickly. There was nothing wrong with that scene, if you watched the entire episode.

If you want to complain about how they used the cell phone to build tension in that scene, don't talk about how unlikely it would be for a teenager to try to work their way into the middle of the bank to get a signal, or the passing back and forth of the phone. At one point, she came out of a back office. Do you mean to tell me that there wasn't a single DESK PHONE back there that she could use? Who the hell continuously relies on a cell phone with bad reception in an emergency? (Yes, a teenager who's never had to be without a cell phone perhaps, but I find that hard to believe.)

One thing that I loved ... all of the Nine coming together at the end of the episode to help explain to Felicia what happened. I was afraid that the "weekly meeting at the diner" would be the lazy way to get them all together at the end of every show, but they've already mixed that up a bit, which was a nice touch. I also liked the doctor being terribly conflicted about wanting to kill a man, as well as the admission by Chi McBride's character that he wants his daughter to get past her issues so that he can start to deal with his own.

I really wasn't sure about this show at first, but it's definitely grabbed my attention now.

October 19 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

Last night's show really grabbed me then kind of fizzled out.

This is the one show that I really want to get into, but so far it hasn't met my expectations.

October 19 2006 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lizbeth

I'm trying to give this show a chance, but last night I found the flashback robbery scene to be "stupid" rather than "terrifying."

It is rather unrealistic to believe a 16-year-old would stupidly go into the middle of a robbery, rather than hide in the bathroom -- or sneak out a back door -- which I'm assuming ALL BANKS HAVE.

The scene where she is slinking around and popping up behind desks and sliding the phone back and forth was ridiculous. Was it meant to be humorous? If so, it certainly killed the "terror" they were trying to create.

Also, are we to believe that she couldn't get a signal for her phone anywhere else except dab smack in the middle of the bank? The writers are asking us to suspend quite a lot of disbelief to accept this scenario.

I don't know. I just don't like the character of Felicia Jones. She doesn't act like a teenager. She acts like a minature adult, and that annoys me. Her dad is so underdevelped as a character. There doesn't seem to be anything for him to do. And Felcia keeps yelling about her memory, which is annoying the hell out of me.

October 19 2006 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I thought this episode was terrific. One of the best yet. The character development was so well done. It's as if each new episode deepens the story, the characters, the tension.

I loved Egan working out to Cheap Trick. That slayed me.

Cyrus, I couldn't ID the song from the rooftop, but it sure sounded like Cat Stevens to me.

October 19 2006 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply