September 2, 2014

Why does it matter that T.R. Knight is gay?

by Anna Johns, posted Oct 19th 2006 8:33PM
t.r. knightApparently there have been rumors swirling that T.R. Knight, who plays George O'Malley on Grey's Anatomy, is gay. Today, Knight released a statement to People magazine, saying he is gay and "I hope the fact that I'm gay isn't the most interesting part of me." People's headline is grotesque: EXCLUSIVE: Grey's Anatomy Star T.R. Knight Confirms He's Gay.

WTF?

Why is this a big deal? Does it change the fact that he does a spectacular job playing the role of George, who is madly in love with Meredith Grey? I feel sorry for the guy because it sounds like he was hounded and badgered about something that really shouldn't matter to anyone.

Michael Tupy

Regarding whether it matters or not: it matters in the sense that people who make an issue of T.R. Night's sexual orientation are the same who think they should be able to have the right deny gay marriage (which IS a civil ceremony unless performed in a church) to two consenting adults. The issue is divisive and sad because others (mainly politicians) use sexuality as a wedge to divide and control people. As for our National mentality, we have a government which requires that Gay people must lie in order to serve their country (see "Don't Ask, Don't Tell). I have 4 friends, all Gay who are Marines and all done two tours in Iraq so I subscribe to the Jesse Ventura opinion. The former Navy Seal, Pro Wrestler and Governor of Minnesota stated that "I don't care if you're Male, Female, Straight or Gay, you should be able to serve your country in the military. However, I will never send my children into a war unless the President is willing to send his own children." Amen. As for T.R. Night, he is a professional and is conducting himself as such. I have no investment in his sexuality until he asks to sleep with me, so what does my opinion matter? It's an illusion that he provides, and he does a great job. Is it remarkable that he can act as if attracted to Ellen Pompeo? No more than any straight actor acting attracted to their loved ones on a show. They might hate each other's guts. As for throwing around derogatory slurs like fa**ot or ni**er, why is it considered okay or "just not politically correct" to use such words that are so loaded and can do such harm? Do not dismiss the history of such slurs and excuse them with some pseudo honorable stance that denies the insensitivety and rudeness of such conduct.

November 06 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stormy

From my understanding of the entire controversy, the only thing that Washing ton called Knight is a "bitch". Now, to some with too much testosterone that can be seen as an insult towards their sexuality. However, the media is not saying what word was used to allow people's imaginations to get carried away. Let's get real here for a moment and not victims of the media machine. When the media said that Washington used derogatory word about Knight's sexuality, how many people thought "He must hae said faggot!" Or, worse. When in actuality, he still should not have said it, but he said "Bitch". Which is worse? Neither are great, but people seem to want to believe the worst first before considering the latter.

November 03 2006 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cliff

It doesn't matter except that it may or may not affect the person's acting career. It's just job security for the media.

"I have nothing against gay people, but gay guys playing straight characters in such campy shows shouldnt come out, until the series is over, otherwise the popularity of their STRAIGHT character will surely plummett."

Sadly there are a lot of shallow people that acutally let a topic like this affect their views about the character of the actor/actress and validate that above comment. Religion is also a factor. Ultimately, just like Michelle said, it called a-c-t-i-n-g.

I'm a High Profile Chauffeur in Los Angeles and it's amazing how a lot of celebrities I've driven after an event or function comment about how crazy the fans can get. Sometimes their comments aren't exactly positive...

October 23 2006 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The thing about Queer as Folk (US). The majority of the actors were not straight. Several were straight, several were gay, and a few went "I'm an actor, it doesn't matter".

October 23 2006 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

I am a gay white male who enjoys watching the drama unfold week after week on Grey's Anatomy. I was caught off guard yesterday when People magazine spashed it on their online magazine that T.R. Knight had come out of the closet. I mean, kudos to him if he felt it was the right thing to do. I could care less if he's:gay, bi, straight, or a cross-training tranny. I think he's an awesome and amazing actor and I hope that the show's creator Shonda Rimes finds a way to get his character George and Callie back together; I miss them two as an agnst ridden couple!!! Yes, seeing all of the flesh of "McSteamy" was nice, but, I hope that George and Callie get back together. Gay and lesbian actors DO NOT HAVE TO BE STEREO-TYPED once they kick open their closet doors. Once again, T.R., I applaud your choice, but I hope it wasn't due to the fact that some tabloid was going to expose you. You are an amazing actor and people should not judge you because of your personal life...REMEMBER PEOPLE. WE'RE BORN THIS WAY; IT'S NOT A CHOICE...who wakes up one day and says' "Gee, I'd like to be gay" and then have a majority of people hate you, riddicule you and beat you or try to kill you because of how and what you were born as...Think before you start to hate-bash anybody for anything!!!!

October 22 2006 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cheryl d. smith

It shouldn't matter if he is gay or not. He is great at being george omally. I don't care what any of them do in their real life. I love them all. They could all be gay for all I care.

October 21 2006 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I don't usually blog to these ridiculous antiquated attitudes (some of) you gossiping Americans hang onto for dear life, and try to make great headlines with (i.e. National Enquirer, Globe).

Mr Knight is appears confident as a man of self acceptance, and has probably had a very difficult life to this point, growing up in your (generally speaking) rather closed minded culture.

Apart that it's no one's business but his own as to how God (however you conceive this entity) has wired him from the womb. It is not a "choice" as described in a blog early on this list. It just is. Accept it and get on with your lives. Being a GLBTQ individual does not make them any less capable of doing their job.

I truly cannot understand Americans. Strangly, you are one of the few countries left on the planet that even bar~discharge GLBTQ's from military service - and indeed penalize them, and their futures. Where would the world be without the great gay men down through history? Would you stone Sir Elton John and his husband?

Come to Canada Mr Knight, where we do not discriminate and rights are strongly protected in law. Come to Canada Mr Knight, where you can legally marry the man of your dreams - like so many GLBTQ citizens of the world. They've come to our free(r) country from China, Isrial, Mexico, and even your United States.

Perhaps one day the attitudes of the US people will broaden to match those of most of it's allies and friends around the globe.

... and yes readers, I also am gay and proud to say it.

October 21 2006 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shannon

It was really good of T.R Knight to come out in the public and say that he was gay. Normally stars just claim that they aren't (Clay Aiken) and everyone feels that they are so they make a huge stink about it. That causes wayy too much drama for the magazines and for every day life. With Grey's Anatomy such a big hit, it's no wonder that everyone is talking about it. I mean it's George O' Malley. Can't get any cuter then that. So personally even though Lillian is really heartbroken about this little fiasco, I'm really glad that he came out avoiding the subject on everyone's mind "Is T.R. Knight really gay?!" Going back to the little fight that Dempsey and Washington had, if Dempsey hit or threw a punch at Washington, I'm glad. Washington is a jerk if he said something like that to a costar. Now though, everyone thinks of T.R. as a gay man posing to be straight other then a great character like he was before he "came out."

October 21 2006 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lillian

well first off i have to say T.R. Knight is a wonderful actor and some of that stuff you just couldnt act out i mean thats why i fell in love with him he was nice sweet caring and ohhh everything i loved sooo of course i was heart broken to hear he was gay....... however i think it is very brave of him to do that also i think its soo wierd for all of us because he does such a good job of being a ladies man that you think he would be but i know that i am heart broken but to each their own so go get em Teddy!

October 21 2006 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GAYJOCK

IF STRAIGHT GUYS CAN PLAY GAY GUYS, IT IS ILLOGICAL TO SAY THAT GAY GUYS CAN'T PLAY STRAIGHT. POINT IN FACT, IN THE POPULAR SERIES QUEER AS FOLK, THE MAJORITY, IF NOT ALL, OF THE GAY ROLES WERE PLAYED BY STRAIGHT ACTORS AND GAY PEOPLE DID NOT CARE! UPTIGHT STRAIGHT PEOPLE NEED TO GET A LIFE AND LEARN TO ENJOY ENTERTAINMENT AS ENTERTAINMENT! HERE IN CANADA THE FACT THAT T.R. KNIGHT IS GAY WOULD NOT EVEN RAISE AN EYEBROW; HOWEVER, ISAIAH WASHINGTON'S HOMOPHOBIA WOULD DEFINITELY BE A PROBLEM. FAGGOT IS MORE THAN JUST POLITICALLY INCORRECT OR DOES MALFOY ROARK THINK IT IS ONLY POLITICALLY INCORRECT TO CALL SOMEONE A NIGGER? HOMOPHOBIA AND RACISM ARE THE SAME!

October 20 2006 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply