April 17, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Exodus, Part Two

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 20th 2006 10:01PM
battlestar galactica
(S03E04) Because I saw these first five episodes on DVD, I wasn't subject to spoilers of what was to come in the next episode. I really do feel for everyone who sat and watched the preview for this week, only to be disappointed to learn that Pegasus comes to the rescue. While, really, this was something that seemed pretty inevitable anyway, it was still a bummer to have it told to you ahead of time. And even then, the preview was referring to the decoy. But who the hell is it that decides what's good to show for a preview every week?

Is anyone a bit weirded out at seeing Lee and Dualla as husband and wife? It just seems odd. Her personality just doesn't seem to fit with Lee's, and vice versa. God I yearn for the old days when Apollo was heading fleets of fighters against fleets of Raiders. But this Apollo? Hard to imagine.

The scene with Saul and Ellen was heartbreaking. The fact that she thought everything would be OK, that what she did would be so easily overlooked in the scheme of things, because love between two people is more important than the lives of the many. I was actually surprised to not see more people guessing at Ellen's death in the comments from last week, especially with Saul's hardened attitude (he does look like an old salt now, doesn't he?) and the pressure put on him from the rest of the men.

The conversation between Baltar and Number Three brought up an interesting point -- will the battle between Cylon and Human ever really end? It seems the only outcome that would be satisfactory to both parties is either utter destruction of the opposing group or complete control of it. But I think what's meant to happen in this series is an eventual united group, possibly against a common enemy. Gosh, imagine if they have to unite to fight ... Earth? Hey, it could happen.

How incredibly cool was it to see Galactica jump into the atmosphere of New Caprica? The size of that beast plunging through the air must have struck fear into the batteries of the Cylons.

For those who doubted Starbuck's feelings for Kacey, I think her reaction when she's rescued were pretty definitive of how she really felt. Then, when Kacey finds her real mother, you can still see the disappointment in Starbuck's eyes. All the whole thing really did was make her hate the Cylons with even more rage than before, if that were possible.

Speaking of Kacey's mom, the Leoben Cylon did say that they used a human to bring Kacey to term (even though she's somehow many years older than she should be), so could this simply mean that this is the woman who did that, and Starbuck really is the genetic mother of the girl? Probably not.

Gaeta stepped up to the plate, though Baltar throws him for a loop -- does he decide to believe there's a nuke in the facility or just kill him and feel all warm and fuzzy about it? Well he wouldn't be Gaeta if he'd have shot him, would he?

Pegasus, oh Pegasus, we hardly knew ye. As sad as it was to see her go, she went out in the best way possible, wouldn't you say? The battle sequence here was of perfect length I think. Any longer and it'd be overdrawn. I would have accompanied this post with that awesome shot of the Pegasus scrap flying though space to hit the Base Star, but the backlash from the spoiler police would've been brutal.

You have to wonder now what's to become of Hera, the hybrid baby. Will the writers of the show decide to jump us ahead many years again, where Hera is ruling over the Cylons or a whole new race of beings? I really hope we don't keep jumping ahead, to be honest. But hey, it really did work this time around, so anything's possible.

Random thought: Does Adama grow a moustache and not shave it until a crucial mission is over, like hockey players do not shaving their beards in case it jinxes their winning streak?

Next week, a little spoiler for you, so don't read on if you don't want to know ... [deleted due to people complaining that they didn't heed the previous warning. Check back on Spoilers Anonymous for what would have gone here]

Annie

I don't think it was that, 'brilliant'.

November 29 2006 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

An early preview for you guys:

October 26 2006 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Actually Tim-1, my PHD says other wise about judging people. I don't work with mental patients as in I don't treat crazy people. I treat normal regular people with problems coping with life.

You are a fan of an actress thats fine. One good role does not make one gifted and talented, lets she how she does after BSG then we can talk. The need to bring up time and time again how awesome she is, how the fleet would be nothing without her, blah blah...that's what I find unhealthy. There are other message boards I go to about BSG and I find more of the same "cult of sharon" followers who are always spouting off the same crap of 'praise sharon' and 'Sharon and Helo forever' It just really makes me wonder what kind of false reality these people live in.

Sorry to have hurt your little feelings there, but thats life. You can't please everyone all the time

My shut your trap comment was directed to someone who did not want to debate the issue like an adult with solid evidence to back up their claim but just wanted to cry like a child. Your perceived rudeness of me is just that, perceived. Do I speak in a harsher tone at times? Sure, but that does not mean I am being rude. That is you putting your spin on my words.

October 26 2006 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Ohhhh Akbar.... When I read your post, I asked myself "Why does he think being a fan of a great and gifted actress unhealthy?" The answer of course, is because Akbar is not remotely qualified to judge others, just another cyber bully wanna-be. It seems to me that what is unhealthy is your constant insults to others on these posts. This is supposed to be a discussion panel not a springboard for your rudeness. I believe you mentioned that you work with mental patients. You must have taken the readers digest version of the training. Is this how you treat THEM? Are you sure you are not one of the patients....eh? In a recent example on these posts, you told someone to keep his trap shut. Well I have a little advice for you big mouth. Next time you read something that you don't like, take a deep breath, skip over it, and chill out. Perhaps then, this will help you to keep YOUR trap shut.

October 26 2006 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

cress d, nielsens are a disgusting dinosaur. It makes me sad that so few control so much.

As for DVR ratings, Nielsen is beginning to look at it but it is not sure yet as to which networks are going to be asking for that data.

I think putting BSG on in the fall was a HUGE mistake. yes it is a great show but it unfortunately still has the stigmata of being Galactica and the uninformed person thinks its the same as the 70s show. Also, not having the big lead in from SG1/Atlantis also hurt numbers imo. Having a powerhouse friday night used to be a strong feature of SciFi (I recall when SciFriday first started and we watched Farscape, IMan and occasionally that funky invasion weird show that I can't remember the name to.) Making Friday be the scifi night was the think to do.

Yes, the new season of Doctor Who is on to lead into BSG. Don't get me wrong, I love the Doctor but I just don't think he is catching on here in the states as much as scifi hoped.

As for downloads, I dont think it is affecting viewership so much (I doubt nielsen families are allowed to aquire programs other ways) but their strong numbers should show to the suits that the show is watched alot.

October 25 2006 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

"Thank you for purchasing the Season Pass for Battlestar Galactica - Season 3. Due to a change in the number of episodes the network plans to air, the Season Pass price for Battlestar Galactica - Season 3 has been reduced."

This has supposedly been sent to ITUNES subscribers today.

October 25 2006 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

Paul--I'm not hostile about anything w/ the "Ellen knew" thing. It is a point I enjoy discussing here. Nothing more. And there seems to be supporters for each interpretation of that great scene.

And now for something completely different...

I know that many might not care for talking about anything doing w/ the ratings, BUT...
BSG premiered w/ a 2.2 number, descent, but not spectacular. And from what I have found scouring the net, EXODUS, part 1 and part 2 both lost even more viewers since the premiere. Did SciFi make a mistake by having BSG premiere in the fall, during the premiere season for broadcast networks? I mean, this has been the most heavily promoted season(in my opinion). BSG was at the top of everyones "must watch" list. But the rating numbers just seem too small. Other factors to consider--
-Was the seven month interim between seasons too long?
- Are sites like YouTube taking away viewership? You can go there and watch these episodes, albeit chopped up into 9-10 minute blocks.
-Does Nielsen take into account TiVo/DVR recordings in their rating system?
-BSG is one of the most popular downloaded series at ITUNES. Is that affecting viewership?

I think Nielsen needs a complete overhaul--its an outdated dinosaur. But the heads at SciFi and NBC look at these numbers, and renewals are based on the ratings. Now I'm sure BSG will be back for a few more seasons guaranteed. SciFi would be idiots to cancel their most critically acclaimed series ever. But does anyone else here care about this topic? If so, what are your theories about the "decline" in viewership.

October 25 2006 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I too love Rome. As much as I was a little sad they made some major jumps in time in favor of story, it made for a good show. Can't wait for season 2. It has been very interesting how they have been working in fiction into fact. Plus, Titus Pullo is one of the coolest characters ever.

October 25 2006 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Thanks, Akbar. I love the BSG because of its depth, complexities, and rich characterizations, and hope that other people will make the effort to go beyond their prejudices to project themselves into the minds of the characters better.

I'm also a big fan of HBO's Rome, which is also marvelously acted and dramatically complex. There was something on the Rome Historian's blog that made me think about Saul and Ellen.

You need to read the whole thing to fully get the impact of the following, but here it is:

------

Found in Roman France and dedicated by a labourer to his wife on her tomb. "To the eternal memory of Blandinia Martiola, a most faultless girl, who lived eighteen years, nine months, five days, Pompeius Catussa, a plasterer, dedicates to his wife, who was incomparable and very kind to him, this memorial which he had erected during his lifetime for himself and his wife...You who read this, go bathe at the public baths of Apollo for us, as I used to do with my wife. I wish I still could."

How tenderly and truly that comes across the centuries. Anyone who's ever suffered a bereavement or a break-up can recognize that ineluctable sense of pain: 'I wish I still could'.

------

I wish I still could. That same thought, expressed by a real Roman laborer on the tomb of his dead wife, must be what will be tormenting Saul Tigh for the rest of his life. It remains to be seen if he will ever recover from his personal loss because the Saul Tigh that boarded Galactica once again was not the same man who left it.

October 25 2006 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Thank you Paul for so eloquently putting that into words.
At least someone else in the world can see past the superficial layer and into the deep human emotion this show portrays.

October 25 2006 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply