April 23, 2014

Stories, acting also victims of NBC budget cuts

by Anna Johns, posted Oct 20th 2006 10:26AM
nbc logoThere are more details about NBC Universal's extreme cost-cutting measures, and this time they effect you, the viewer. Yesterday, Jeff Zucker announced that the network will no longer air comedies or dramas in the 8 o'clock hour because they're too expensive. Zucker says that advertisers just won't pay enough money during the 8 pm time slot to cover the costs of comedies and dramas. Instead, the network will air game shows and reality shows during that hour. What does that mean for The Office and My Name is Earl? Hopefully all it means is a later time slot. Or I will be forced to replace the first letter in Jeff Zucker's last name with an 'F' everytime I mention him in a story.

Carissa

I hate reality and game shows, so I know I never have to look for anything on NBC from 7-8 (Colorado time). Nice that they are taking the temptation of watching an NBC program away from me. Sounds like a winning strategy!

October 21 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

In the next couple of weeks....if Jeff Fuckers idea comes to fruition.....during the 8-9 P.M. hours... NBC will stand for Now Broadcating Crap. Frak reality game shows("I'm a stupid cheap show to produce"). I'm so tired of this shit. Has TV become lowest common denominator television? There are so many brilliant scripted series nowadays that people should be watching them, not these primetime "The Price is Right" crap-a-ramas.

October 20 2006 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

How does Jeff Zucker still have a job?? Does he have blackmail photos of Bob Wright and the DOND case girls or something? I just don't get it.

October 20 2006 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

How sad for NBC. Advertisers don't want to pay for their product because most of is unsuccessful and much of it is crap. If they think they can survive on game shows and reality television, all of which has a very short time life, they really are stupid. Jeff Zucker has been the worst network president NBC has had in years! He may have been successful in making the Today show a hit in the morning, but how much of that is really due to him? Instead of crapping on the 8 o'clock hour, where other networks seem to find quite a bit of success, they should dump Zucker.

October 20 2006 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Game shows and "reality" tv are two types of programming that NEVER get watched in my house (except the big break, and that's mostly because it's about golf).

I just don't understand the appeal of these shows. I really likes the scene on Studio 60 this week about this...

October 20 2006 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

NBC had its "Golden Years". Seems to me it makes sense that as most things are cyclic that television would also be cyclic.

The loss of Friends, Seinfeld and Cosby - all different generations of better times for the network hasn't really been the 100% cause of the downfall.

However, the "Must See TV" banner will not fly with reality and game shows - at least not on my tv screen.

October 20 2006 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suzanne

Does anyone remember when family friendly programming used to be on in the 8 PM hour (or 7 PM for those of us in the Central time zone)? Does anyone remember "Cosby" or "Happy Days"?

Today, sex and violence sell. All of the good shows on TV now are very graphic. I would not watch any of my favorite shows with my kids in the room!

October 20 2006 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Davis

Sorry, but I have to stick up for SOME game shows, since that's basically my job. 1v100 is actually a very nice show, and somewhat educational. Not nearly on the level of Millionaire or Jeopardy, but at least a rock couldn't even come close to winning a million dollars on this one. I'm basically done with DoND.

So here's how it looks right now. Mondays at 8PM are DoND. Tuesdays, who knows. Wednesdays, Biggest Loser for now if I am correct. Thursdays, the comedy block. Fridays, 1v100. We do know that America's Got Talent is coming back, and NBC/Revelle are making a new game show called "Identity" right now, so this might be very interesting.

And I am begging game show fans: PLEASE promote the forward progress of getting quiz shows back. Watch FOX's The Rich Li$t on November 1st. It's a straight trivia show, no dumb luck for no reason. It looks terrific.

October 20 2006 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

Yeah, but pitting Earl/Office against Grey's Anatomy AND CSI could spell bad news. I'm sure there are tons of Jammers who are also McDreamers or Grissarans; I'm saying this because a majority of people seem to watch these shows ONLY for the romance.

October 20 2006 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy Mac

So basically this means now there will be absolute crap on at 8pm-9pm.

I feel really sorry for children like my daughter who are allowed to watch from 8-9pm. That tends to be a more child-appropriate hour on TV, but I don't let her watch reality shows and game shows. She usually watches Earl and the Office with me.

Yet another reason I hate NBC.

More cable for me!