October 24, 2014

Dexter: Let's Give the Boy a Hand

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 22nd 2006 11:35PM
dexter(S01E04) "I'm not the monster he wants me to be. So I'm neither man nor beast. I'm something new entirely, with my own set of rules.

I'm Dexter.

Boo!"

Dexter's right about relationships. A relationship means picking up someone at an airport, doing things together ... and things can sometimes get ... messy. However, the messy parts of a relationship aren't exactly what a normal person considers messy.

I know Jonathan's gotten into this already, but the most fascinating aspect of this series is how Dexter's father discusses how to fit in, to smile even when you don't want to, because it's what you do. Without this I'm not sure the show would be half as interesting ... not that that wouldn't be enough to keep me involved.

So, was the hand a sign that someone knows of Dexter from that long ago? It goes along with the whole "it's his sister" theory that Jonathan has. Or did the Ice Truck Killer really do what Dexter said, taking note of a photo in his apartment? I'd also thought that maybe Dexter was the Ice Truck killer, a split personality part of himself that he doesn't know exists. But come to think of it, how could it be Debra if she was stuck watching tapes for days? Or was that just to throw us off?

Hm ... Here's a random thought. Dexter was adopted. Could the Ice Truck Killer be someone blood related to Dexter? If that's true and it's not pulled off right, it could come out looking corny.

"It could make things so much easier for Rita ... but that would be wrong." I just had to mention that line because it was one of the best scenes of the episode.

The voiceover in the Halloween shop is something not exactly new, though it's incredibly effective for this show. There's a time of the year when someone like Dexter almost feels comforted that there are monsters walking about the world, even if it's just a rubber mask they wear. Because really, the mask Dexter wears is barely rubber-mask thick as it is.

There was a loophole in Dexter's findings that the hand and foot were taken from a live body -- how do they know the foot is from Tucci, the guard? Do toe prints match like fingerprints? Sure, a DNA test would prove it, but did they test that so quickly?

Dexter finds an active landfill soothing, watching trucks dump garbage into the earth, hiding it from sight. Sometimes they reveal things about Dexter that make him out to be not all that incredibly crazy, and then there's scenes like this. To have a landfill for a "favorite" spot is pretty out there.

Another random thought: Did they pick the right kids to play young Dexter or what? Definitely an excellent bit of casting there. And the makeup folks did an excellent job making a young Dexter out of the old one.

So, if Dexter's not interested in sex with Rita, how is it that he can so instantly have a boner when she goes down on him? I guess it shows he's actually human after all. "Unexpected" ... you could say that.

Angel's part of the story surprised me how touching it was. At first I thought this was a bit of fluff the writers threw in that I'd really not care to see more of. In the end, though, we see how all the work he went through to get an anniversary gift, only to have his estranged wife turn him away at the door.

God that was brilliant how the cops brought down the drug lord using Doakes as bait. Here was another storyline I didn't think I'd care for, but they pull out a surprise in the end. This was something right out of The Shield.

Don't forget the Dexter marathon this Saturday at 8!

Quote of the episode:
Dexter: "Who are you?"
Rita: "Laura Croft. Tomb Raider."
Dexter: "Ah. You raid tombs dressed like that? Impressive."

Sean

After watching the first couple episodes, I borrowed the book from the library.

I think the show is better than the book. The extra details and side stories in the show are very well done.

October 26 2006 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ana

"CSI/Miami" - "Dexter". Dexter wins, but I´ll be fair. Comparing those two shows is like comparing "Married with children" and "7th heaven". One of the things I like on this show is the music. The title music could be a reference to the music of "The good, the bad and the ugly", I don´t know if I´m right. The score is excellent! Haunting but not too dominating. And I like the cuban music - perfect fit!

October 24 2006 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mika

I jsut love, love this show. What a diffrence this show is compared to others. I am totally hooked. I hope Showtime realizes they have a winner here and keeps it around. My new show for this year is this one. I highly recommend it for those who love dark mysteries. It's believeable, not so out there and better than any CSI:Miami!!!

October 24 2006 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

i wouldnt say this show is BETTER than LOST, that show is incredibly unique and deserves a great deal of credit. Its still the best show out there, along with BSG.

October 24 2006 at 6:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

I've been hooked on Dexter since I watched the pre-pilot. Dexter is now my favorite, surpassing "LOST." I'm rooting for Michael C. Hall for an Emmy nomination.

Great show!

October 23 2006 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Lorber

Dexter is great! The best part about the show for me is that it's actually shot in Miami (probably cause I'm originally from there)! Or at least most of it is...not like those other Miami shows (Nip/Tuck, CSI: Miami) where they just shoot a few exteriors. Dexter actually incorporates Miami into the show, naming a number of places that you wouldn't know if you've never been to or read up on Miami (last ep. mentioned Bayside, Versace's Mansion that's now a hotel, Dolphin Stadium...)

Besides landmarks and smaller palm trees (than LA) here's how to tell it's actually Miami...the street signs are GREEN! They're all green in Miami! In LA they're mainly BLUE. So if you watch Nip/Tuck and they go to someone's house and they show an exterior, look for the blue signs. If it's green, they probably shot it in Miami.

October 23 2006 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

this show has been great so far! I agree with ooda, between this and weeds, Showtime is delivering some quality tv. It's not HBO, it's Showtime.

and during the voiceover in the halloween store, at the point where dex said "dressing like monsters" they showed a kid in a dubya mask. nice touch.

October 23 2006 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cross777

If you really want to know whothe ice-truck killer is, read the book! Then read the second book!

I think they have done an amazing job of fleshing out and expanding the story contained in the book.

October 23 2006 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ooda

And a side note to TV Squad: Why isn't Weeds being covered on the site?

October 23 2006 at 8:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ooda

Oh my god, I can't believe how f**king great this show is! The characters are being fleshed out even more, and it's weird how fond of Dexter I am, and even though he is severely screwed up, you have to give him credit for his sense of morals. Without the backbone of 'The Code of Harry' to this series, there's no way it could even be half as good as it is. It's the fact Dexter is so normal in his abnormality that makes it so great.

Another thing I love is how you can see Dexter wanting to smile when coming along a crime scene that's a memento from The Ice Truck Killer.

This might be premature, but I think Showtime might be my new HBO as far as quality television goes. Four episodes in, and Dexter continues to astound. I just pray that the ratings are doing at least decently so that we get another season, but from memory, I think they are, so I can rest easy.

Michael C Hall may just be my favorite actor of the past few years.

October 23 2006 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply