August 30, 2014

The Five: Great shows you'll never, ever, ever see on DVD

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 22nd 2006 12:30PM

Tom BergeronIt seems that everything is being released on DVD these days. Not just shows from the 50s and short-lived shows like The Adventures of Brisco County and Profit and many others. But there are many shows you'll never see on TV, because they're too obscure, don't have enough fan base, wouldn't be worth it financially, and/or just don't have any "buzz" to make it worth releasing by the studio. Now, I've been surprised before. I'm still shocked that Riptide made it to DVD. But I'm pretty confident we won't see the five shows below on DVD. Which is a shame, because they're five of my favorites.

In fact, if any of these shows are released on DVD (whole seasons, not an odd episode thrown on another DVD), I'll run naked through Central Park while eating a chicken salad sandwich and singing the theme song from Fame.

1. The Fifth Corner: This spy show was really ahead of its time. It was about a man who wakes up in a bed with a dead woman beside him. He has amnesia, and can't remember who he is, what he does for work, even what food he likes. But people are trying to kill him, and we find out he's a spy. He tries to figure out who he is while staying one step ahead of the bad guys. It starred Alex McArthur, Kim Delaney, and James Coburn. It only lasted two episodes. The third was pre-empted by breaking news on NBC and then the show was never seen again. Which is a pity, because it was quite cool. In this era of Lost and Heroes, I can picture this serial-type mystery show catching on.

There were other episodes filmed, just never shown. If anyone out there worked on the show and has them, let me know.

2. Breakfast Time. Oh, I loved this show. I was even on it a couple of times, but I liked it long before that. It was a live, two hour daytime show that was broadcast from a large apartment in NYC. It was hosted by Tom Bergeron, Laurie Hibberd (aka the wife of Regis and Kelly producer Michael Gelman), and a sarcastic puppet named Bob. The Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan was one of the "Road Warriors," reporters who roamed the country doing live features. This was a very funny, outrageously entertaining show, a real antidote to everything else on in the morning. It's not the type of show they release on DVD, of course, so we'll never see it.

3. Raven. Martial arts expert/ex-spy (Jeffrey Meek) settles in Hawaii to look for his long-lost son, with the help of ex-Navy guy Herman Jablonski (Lee Majors). Of all the shows on this list, it's the show that has a remote possibility of coming out on DVD, because it's fairly recent and they released a CD of the soundtrack. But I still don't think we'll see it.

4. Private Eye. A stylish P.I. drama set in 50s L.A. It starred Michael Woods and Josh Brolin. It was sort of the third in the period piece detective shows that NBC had. Miami Vice was the 80s, Crime Story was the 60s, and Private Eye was the 50s. Really cool show. Theme song by Joe Jackson.

5. Eyes. Oh, you already know what I think about this show.

Mario Camardella

"When Things Were Rotten" was in the 70's, long before "Men in Tights" movie, and didn't last a full season. If you remember that, you have Sitcom-itis!!

December 04 2006 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lane Wright

I just happened on this site and had to add my agreement about "Breakfast Time." It pretty much spoiled me for any other morning show because nothing since has ever been that good. I loved the free-form nature of the show, the use of the Road Warriors, the remotes in the park across the street, and of course, Bob the Puppet. It may not have been the most polished morning show ever, but that was part of its charm. I miss it and am sorry that more people don't remember it.

And to the list of shows that ought to be on DVD and aren't, I would add "My World and Welcome to It" from the 1969-70 season. James Thurber in sitcom form, and wondrous.

October 30 2006 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

Ya, I liked Eyes, too bad it is gone forever.

October 29 2006 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mason

Oh sweet lord, RAVEN! When I was a kid, I thought Johnathan Meek was the coolest person on earth. That crazy trick he did where he'd put his thumb on your wrist when he talked to you and know that you were lying because of your pulse quickening? Pure genius.

October 28 2006 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dvddesign

Hmm, we skewer all over the map on old TV shows, how about the Wizard. Aired on CBS back in the mid 80's featuring a midget toy manufacturer who fights criminals for kids.

Loved that show.

Also wouldn't kill them to release Small Wonder or Out of this World, either ya know... Lots of fantasy based TV shows in the 80's just sitting out there, all gimmicky and ripe for exploiting 20-30 somethings out there.

October 24 2006 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Baslow

Nichols! James Garner's most brilliant, ahead-of-its-time TV series needs to be on DVD!

October 23 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RadioScott

Breakfast Time! That's what that was called! Around every third time I see Bergeron, I try to remember what that show was called. I don't think I ever caught it until it moved from FX to Fox, but I loved it. Somebody ought to put these up as a torrent. Didn't they do something crazy on their last show? Like, wreck the set or something?

October 23 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CiscoKid

I'm very SAD FX's 'Lucky' hasn't come out on DVD. (I treasure the Emmy DVD with 4 episodes, but the best episodes weren't there)

And why exactly Fox hasn't put 'Brimstone' and 'Andy Richter controls the universe' in DVD is baffling to me. Worse crap has been released in DVD lately and good shows remain dead.

October 23 2006 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I think I would join you in Central Park if they released Raven...I loved that show!

October 23 2006 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Rabinowitz

My favorite show that'll never be on DVD: Shannon's Deal. Created by John Sayles, scored by Wynton Marsalis, pure genius.

October 22 2006 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply