September 2, 2014

Things I Hate About TV: Weather teasers

by Adam Finley, posted Oct 22nd 2006 8:05AM

fozzieI don't know if it's the same in other local markets, but here in the Twin Cities promos for the upcoming local news broadcasts always include some teaser about the weather forecast that goes something like this:

Anchor: Just how cold is it going to get? And will we see any snow over the weekend? Tune in at ten and find out.

I can understand doing such a teaser if the station has an exclusive story or just scooped some recent event that none of the other stations have, but it's not like they're the only place where you can get weather information. There's the Weather Channel, there's the newspaper, and there's the freakin' internet, for crying out loud.

The whole point of these promos is to get people to tune into your station and not one of the other affiliates airing their news at the same time, and telling people to watch your station for the weather makes about as much sense as telling them to stay on the channel because you're going to keep them up to date on whether the sun is going to turn into ice cream or not. The only time a news station should tease us with an upcoming weather report is if they somehow gain access to all weather radar and equipment through a hostile takeover of the National Weather Service and NASA. Of course, they'll still be wrong seventy percent of the time anyway, but at least their promos would make more sense.

erroneous_nick

I gave up on most news and weather via TV a long time ago. It's much faster to just find what I want on the internet and I don't have to wait until the broadcasters decide to "feed me" the information, I get it when I want.

October 23 2006 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikey the L

I never watch tv newscasts, if I can help it . Teasers eat up my patience.

October 22 2006 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Robinson

I totally agree about the weather teasers (not to mention the other comments about local news).

I opt for the Weather Channel instead, as I think any Jeep Wrangler owner is wise to do. (It's bailed me out of many a messy day with the top down.) Plus, is it just me, or is the Weather Channel forecast generally more accurate than the local news? Why is that? You would think it would be just the opposite.

October 22 2006 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan Trussell

What's really annoying is when they do a weather update during the show. Yeah I know, there might be a tornado 500 miles away, but I don't really care. I wouldn't be so mad if they stopped the show and then started where it left off. It pisses me off that you lose like 5-10 minutes because of the weather.

October 22 2006 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Murphy

This reminds me of one of Ellen's DVD's

"Somthing in your dinner may be harmful to your health. Please stay tuned to find out what it is."

"Is it peas?!"

October 22 2006 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

That isn't as bad as the ones like this:

"Something in your water may be killing you. Should you be drinking it?! Tune in next Tuesday for the first of our weekly five part series, entitled, Just Living in the Neighborhood May Make You Die."

October 22 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I agree, and sometimes all you really want to see is the 5 day forecast (not a recap of the weather earlier in the day). But instead they string you along and show it in the very last second of the segment. Arrrr!

October 22 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Some foods in your dinner may kill you. Find out which ones at 11.

October 22 2006 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The teasers aren't nearly as bad as the newscasts themselves ...

"Today, a crazed gunman killed 15 toddlers at the mall. But first -- let's get a weather update from Chad."

October 22 2006 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply