September 19, 2014

Hannah Montana can't sing

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 23rd 2006 9:23AM

Miley CyrusWow. I think I just saw the worst musical performance I've ever seen on television, not counting local cable.

Hannah Montana (real name: Miley Cyrus) just "sang" her "songs" on Good Morning, America. I have "sang" in quotes because I'm pretty sure she was lip-syncing, and if that's the case and these songs were actually the recorded versions...yikes, I take back everything I've ever said about Ashlee Simpson. And the whole production was bizarre, like the dancing in that Saturday Night Fever sequel directed by Stallone. It was like a bunch of high school students who don't really know what they're doing, trying to dance. Which, actually, it was.

I understand I'm not the demographic for this sort of thing. The tweens in the audience seemed to go nuts over her (and more than a few parents, disturbingly). But I wonder why TV stars, especially young TV stars, feel they have to go into a musical career. Why isn't Hillary Duff happy with being a TV and movie actress? Why does Raven Symone have to start doing pop and rap songs? Why does Miley Cyrus have to suddenly become a pop star? You know it's going to be bad when they start wearing that dark eyeliner stuff to make themselves have that smoldering pop star look.

Anya

Anybody who thinks Hannah can't sing or is dumb is a TOTAL RETARD!!! Your just jealous of her career and how fast it has been growing! Hannah Montana is the best at what she does and your just stupid! Hannah doesn't lip sync either! I've been to her concert before and she rocks! She is a good kid and is NOTHING like Ashlee Simpson! She has a good head on her sholders and know where she's going. And as for however wrote that "article" you are an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!

November 23 2007 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dezaree

Everybody here who says these mean things about Destiny Hope Cyrus is wrong!!! I know the girl because we've been friends for life and always will be! I'm usually backstage at her concerts and there has only been three times that she was lip-syncing and that was on her show she plays on! i don't care if anybody believes me or not, but it's true!Everything i said is true!

December 27 2006 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jason

HAY all you haters out there your just jealous that miley hope cyrus is a better singer than you and you need to get a life because you can't tell the diffant's between good music and bad music and hannah montanas/miley cyrus's music is defantly good music probly the best in the world and that is a fact so for all you haters out there GET A LIFE!!

December 26 2006 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaystarr

holy shittt okay, you guys are all getting wayy to worked up about this. we all have our own opinions, and just because some people are saying that she lip-syncs doesn't mean that miley is a bad person. im fourteen years old, and i watch hannah montana, and have all of her songs on itunes (and get alot of crap about it form my friends) but i don't care because like people have said before, she's cute, fun, energetic, and the songs are fun and happy. who cares if she does or does not lip-sync? personally i think that it's pretty obvious that a large percentage of the time on her show on disney channel, she does. but that doesn't mean that in any way that im saying that she can't sing. if you've seen the episode with dolley parton, then you should be aware of this. however, like it's been pointed out numerous times, she pretty much sold her life to disney, and she has to do whatever they want. lately anyone who's beccoming a disney channel star, is also getting a record deal (ex. Corbin Bleu from high school musical, vanessa anne hudgens from high school musical, that girl from akeela and the bee that's now in that new disney cahnnel movie "jump in" and many others as well) it's getting kind of ridiculous, but i guess its the only way to keep up with all of those triple threats out there, that can sing, dance and act. lip-syncing is the only way for miley cyrus to look flawless, and for disney channel to be pleased. so it's in no way her fault.

p.s. all of you people who keep saying how much you love hannah montana/ miley curus, and about how everyone else is just jealous, have absolutely no relevance in this discussion. (so please fuck off)

kaythanksbye.

December 25 2006 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grace

Youll guys are just jealous!

December 21 2006 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jason

for all u haters out there hannah montana/miley cyrus is a lot better than any of you adults could ever do so just let her be and let your kids watch the show hannah montana because she is one of the best singers you will ever be able to find in the world and kids love her just like i do and i think every kid would agree on that because it's true and you know it

December 21 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grace

I love Hannah Montana !
You should to and if you get to know her youwll regret what you are thinking...

December 21 2006 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sabrina

I personally like miley as a person. If you havent noticed her clothes arent showy or revealent so dont hate on her. Besides I think that Disney Channel is the same disney channel like it was a couple of years ago. Im not hating on Billy Ray but it might be like in the show, he writes some of her songs. So what. when you talk like that about her it just shows how lame or unimaginative you are about her songs. Next time you think bad about her then listen to her songs and look at her lyrics, Why dont ya!

December 01 2006 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

Hey! That is totally not true. I think you think that because you are just jealous because you can't sing.

November 30 2006 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Randy

For all you Miley haters out there, know this. Miley has a contract with Disney for Hannah Montana. The concerts and music videos are also part of that contract. Under that contract, Disney tells Miley what to do and say on the show and at concerts. They want Miley to have a lot of stage activity. This is hard work for a girl that is only 13 going on 14. She hasn't yet experienced a full day of work that adults do. There are also child labor laws that go into place.

Disney wants a good show at concerts. If they made Miley sing on top of all that stage activity, she might get too tired to keep up with performing throughout the show. Disney thinks of the concerts as a way to promote Hannah Montana which is something they want to be a real money maker. They can't have their star get too tired during a concert because it wouldn't look good and the show would lose it's appeal to kids.

Miley doesn't lip sync because she can't sing. She can sing very well. She lip syncs because that's what Disney tells her to do. If you listen to the lyrics, you would notice that it really is Miley singing the songs. The voice is her's, nobody else's. The songs must be prerecorded in the studio and Miley lip syncs to her own voice. For everybody that does not know. Miley auditioned for the role of Hannah Montana. During this audition she was required to sing. The character of Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana was a pop star trying to live a normal life. In this case, the actress that would play that character would be required to sing. In order to get the role Miley had to prove that she could sing as well as act. Miley wouldn't be the star if she couldn't sing. I know how auditions go because I've been acting for years now and have starred in many productions. None of them were on camera but theater isn't much different. If you can't get into character you won't get the part.

Miley's singing is a whole different story than most other Disney channel stars who didn't get music careers until after their Disney series' became popular. Miley's singing career started before Hannah Montana. Some of you may not realize this but Miley's on screen dad is also her real life dad. He's Billy Ray Cyrus. One of his biggest hits was "Achy Breaky Heart." Having a country star for a dad means that Miley has grown up around singing. Singing is in her blood so you know she has talent. She even recorded a song with her dad on one of his cd's. This cd was out long before Hannah Montana. Don't believe me? Do the research!

I don't know if Miley wrote the songs for Hannah Montana herself or if Disney wrote the songs but you have to admit, the lyrics are catchy, and they are uplifting and inspirational. If you pay attention to Miley's expressions at the concerts and on the music videos, you would notice that Miley actually feels the music. Music is only good when the person singing it shows emotional reactions to it. It relates to Miley not only as Hannah Montana but it relates to her in real life too. The lyrics don't just relate to her. It can relate to anyone just as any form of music can give you something you can relate to.

I would rather listen to Miley than most rap or hip hop artists that are out there because they come up with lyrics that fit an image, not them personally. They are only out their performing music that they think sells. I'm sorry but I believe music to be considered as a form of expression. A lot of Rap and Hip Hop artists sing about sex,drugs, and violence. They also put up a gangster story and try to convince you that they all grew up on the streets.

You can tell that their whole image is a lie just by listening to them. Their lyrics have nothing to do with them personally. If it was personal then why is it all the same story for most of them? Sure they may have had a crappy childhood but there is no reason why they should continue exaggerating that they grew up on the street living in broken homes and what not. Is it just me or is there anyone else that has noticed that rap from the late 80's and early 90's is totally different now than it was back then? It was actually good back then. Now it's something far from music. It lacks expression. Yes I am old enough to know what I'm talking about. I have kids of my own! I try not to influence them when it comes to music. My kids are individuals and if they want to listen to something I'm open to it as long as the lyrics aren't too inappropriate and they can relate to it. Believe it or not but my cd collection consists of a lot of artists that my kids have in their collections. I find my own way to relate to their music unlike my parents who constantly said, "You call that noise music? Back in my day we listened to real music what is that trash?"

November 30 2006 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply