October 24, 2014

Star Trek fans ticked off by Shatner's clothes

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 23rd 2006 6:29PM

William ShatnerI'm talking about the clothes he wears in that Star Trek-themed commercial for DirecTV.

Obsessed nerds Trekkies Trekkers have a love/hate relationship with the ad. They love seeing anything Star Trek and love to see Shatner reprising his role as James T. Kirk (who, you remember, died a lame death after fighting Malcolm McDowell in one of the movies), but they have a few complaints:

• the Starfleet badge is too small
  • the collar is too small
  • the belt buckle is wrong

My main problem with the ad? Shatner's hairpiece looks awful.

[via TV Tattle]

Fuze

What about the CGI on his face!!!!!!!!

October 25 2006 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S.H.

I think the rug Shatner wears in this commercial is either the same one he wore in the Star Trek movies, or very close to it. Kirk's hair wasn't anywhere as nicely coifed as Denny Crane's. In any case, it's a funny commercial, and is memorable, which is what a commercial is supposed to be...

And have you noticed that the people who like to rag on Star Trek are often the same ones that know all the details?

October 24 2006 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Nitpickers can whine all they want; I've seen the commercial a dozen times now and it still brings a smile to my face. Shatner's quip at the end and the little shrug in the turbolift--just classic stuff right there. Love it!

October 24 2006 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

What about the music being from TNG?

October 23 2006 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evadne

Trekkie jokes. Must be a slow news day.

I'll disclose that I think Star Trek is awesome, but maybe fans are less upset about Shatner's uniform than the fact that they're using the franchise in such an obnoxious ad.

October 23 2006 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I noticed right away that his badge was wrong and I'm not a Trekie. I do like Star Trek 2 and 6. Plus my friend and I both thing the music is wrong, which is a huge no no. Don't mess up classic theme songs.

October 23 2006 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Joel, please tell me you are joking because Walter Koenig from that commercial is actually from the movie. Only Shatners stuff is new.

God, I am worse than those who are already bitching about it

October 23 2006 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

That's a hairpiece? I thought it was a marmoset!

October 23 2006 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

I'm guessing they are the same people that just spent upwards of $7 million at a Star Trek auction, so they seem to have pretty good jobs already. :D

October 23 2006 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

You're telling me people are actually taking the time to examine Shatner's uniform? Who are these people, because I'd like to put them to work.

October 23 2006 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply