April 24, 2014

Things I Hate About TV: When Stewart and Colbert are on vacation

by Joel Keller, posted Oct 23rd 2006 3:33PM
The Daily Show and The Colbert Report logosDon't get me wrong... I think everyone is entitled to a vacation, especially the hard-working folks at the comedy factories known as The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. But it sucks when I tune into Comedy Central to get my late night fix and I see reruns. This is the situation I'll find myself in this week, as both shows are on vacation.

I can tell right away that TDS is a rerun; if the intro to the show doesn't show the date, it's a repeat. From there, there's a 95% chance that Colbert is also a rerun, so the entire 11 PM - 12 AM block is now available to me.

It's a weird feeling; without TDS/Colbert, I feel kind of adrift.

It's not like I watch the show to get an idea of what's going on in the world, since I'm one of the few people under 50 that watches the evening news. But once I know what the stories of the day are going to be, I eagerly look forward to how TDS and Colbert are going to goof on them. Without that anticipation at 11, I'm resigned to either watch my local news or Seinfeld reruns.

Next week should be great for both shows, with the highly-anticipated midterm elections coming up; in fact, Jon Stewart and company will be in the battleground state of Ohio all week. But this week is going to be painful. What do you watch when Jon and Stephen are on vacation? Let me know in the comments.

kevin (clearwater, fl)

I actually don't mind when they go on vacation. It gives us a chance to catch up on all the old shows that fill up our recorders. I can't remember the last time I saw an episode of TDS or Colbert within a day or two of it's first airing.

October 25 2006 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

These two take more vacations than anybody I have ever seen. They take two weeks off for every two months they work I think!!

I love them, tho!

October 23 2006 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

We all know that Bush is going to grow a pair and fire Rumsfeld, the Republican's are going to concede the House and the Senate, and the Christian Right and all the homosexuals are going to come together in a huge Kumbaya circle. As is destined to happen when TDS goes on vacation.

October 23 2006 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

It's TDS, Colbert Report, and Late Night w/Conan O'Brien and all 3 of them are a rerun. All of today's reruns are ones I've seen, but they're are a couple Daily Show eps I've missed so I may catch them during the week. But it still feels like there's a late night gap.

October 23 2006 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denji

The only weeks when I get to bed at a decent time are the ones that they have off.

October 23 2006 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I'm so with you, Joel. "Adrift"--that's exactly how I feel when I have no TDS/CR to get through my evening.

When they're on vacation I tend to watch DVDs instead. Or Adult Swim, if it's a Futurama or Family Guy I haven't seen yet. But mostly DVDs.

I realize their jobs are as grueling as regular newsmen's are, given that they don't have a "season" and then a hiatus, so I don't actually begrudge them their little one-week, two-week breaks now and then. But it always seems as if something profoundly ridiculous happens when they're on vacation, and I have to wait so long to see Jon Stewart come back and say, "So, I go on vacation, and then THIS..."

Sigh.

October 23 2006 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Monkey

And this is the week that Bush claimed he hasn't been "stay the course"! Curses!

October 23 2006 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manish M. Patel

Damn you Stewart!!!! Damn you!!!

Colbert, you are On Notice.

October 23 2006 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen

It does suck, but we Tivo TDS and TCR at 5 something in the morning and watch it with brekfast. It's better than any of those crappy morning "news" promotional tools.

October 23 2006 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ytoabn

I scream in pain and occasionally watch Adult Swim.

However, there is just as good a chance that I go to bed early.
Jay Leno is also an option.

October 23 2006 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply