April 20, 2014

Torchwood premieres with record numbers

by Brett Love, posted Oct 23rd 2006 4:41PM
John BarrowmanGood news for sci-fi fans in general, and Dr. Who fans specifically. The BBC is reporting that the first two episodes of Torchwood scored the biggest audience for a non sports program on a digital channel ever. Captain Jack was topped by two football matches from 2004 and 2005, no pun intended. One would assume that the great ratings bode well for the continuation of all things Dr. Who. And I am always happy to see positive press for any sci-fi show.

Torchwood is written by Russell T Davies, who also wrote for Dr. Who, and stars John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness. Spun off of Dr. Who, the series follows a team of investigators as they solve crimes, both alien and human. There is more info at the show's website, and a good interview with Barrowman on the BBC's page.

Walt

Akbar, my hero! Many thanks!

October 23 2006 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

hey Walt, ask and ye shall recieve

October 23 2006 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

Okay I will just have to find another way to see... All legally of coarse. :)

October 23 2006 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cross777

Why not put it on BBCA ??? BBCAmerica originally said they wouldn't run Dr.Who which they are now going to do. Why should they give(sell)it to Sci-Fi when they can keep it in house on BBCA ? Juding by what runs on that network, they wouldn't have to edit at all.

October 23 2006 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Walt, of course its not going to be the exact same Captain Jack.

he has kind of died, come back to life unexpectedly and then somehow found himself back in 21st Century Cardiff working for Torchwood. He has been through alot!

October 23 2006 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

Thanks to the power of the internets, I managed to sneak a peek...

Great premise, decent execution. Capt'n Jack in the first episode isn't quite the exact same character as we've previously seen in the Doctor Who eps with him, but that's okay, I think. Great show, otherwise. This is a show with balls, much like BSG. Not afraid to do what has to be done.

There were a couple of moments in the first ep where I truly could not guess what was going to happen next. The bit with the perfume in and outside of the pub NEEEEEDS to be cut out and put up on YouTube, Fast!! Classic double plus good.. even though you know what's going to happen, it's pulled off to perfection.

All I can say, is, yes. Better than Doctor Who, and the cussing so far is more than managable.

October 23 2006 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanTubbs

The FCC doesn't have jurisdiction over cable, though it wants to have it. Which means Torchwood could likely be shown as is with minor edits. Look at what FX gets away with.

BSG features sex scenes you would not see on network television. Torchwood would be a good show for Sci-Fi, but I agree with Toby that DVD will likely be the best way to view this. But that won't happen until Sci-Fi decides on what it wants to do.

October 23 2006 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Based on what I've read so far about the show, it'll just need some judicious editing, especially of curse words. And we can thank the Puritan witch-sniffers at the FCC for making that necessary. Putzes.

But it's not an insurmountable task - 'The Sopranos' have been edited for syndication. Granted, it's not the same as the original version, but eventually 'Torchwood' will show up on disk intact, and that's where the future lies anyway.

So bring on Captain Jack! Can't wait to see this show!

October 23 2006 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

I agree with Akbar on the time frame to bring the show to Sci-Fi. As to the content, I think it's still up in the air as they figure out just what their network is. Sci-Fi is the home of ECW now, and they spent the first two months of their run doing a storyline that involved Kelly stripping as far as she could get before she was interrupted. So, who knows. If they do ultimately pass on the show, there are other outlets that I could see it going to.

October 23 2006 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I would say a year gwangi...if they do at all.

I would hope they do, but I think the frank adult sexual nature of the show will put scifi right off of it.

October 23 2006 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply