July 25, 2014

Friday Night Lights author has a few words for Dancing fans

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 24th 2006 3:56PM
Friday Night Lights

I have no interest in watching Friday Night Lights, but I agree with author Buzz Bissinger (he wrote the book that the TV show is based on) when he gives his opinion of Dancing with the Stars.

He tells The Philadelphia Inquirer, where he used to work that "America is getting what it deserves - crappy, stupid, artificial reality TV...it's distressing that so many people are flocking to a show that's obviously contrived and ridiculous."

I agree, though I would extend the sentiment to almost every other reality show on the air right now. NBC isn't giving up on the show yet though. Not only has the network ordered nine more scripts for the show, it's also going to give it a shot in Studio 60's time slot next Monday at 10pm. Maybe some people will tune in after Heroes, which just keeps on getting stronger and stronger (in ratings as well as quality).

[via TV Tattle]

Barbara

Friday Night Lights is the very best new TV show this fall - do NOT cancel it. Dancing with the Stars will be done any second now and its audience should get a chance to get hooked on this show!

November 02 2006 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheila

I really enjoy both shows. I have started to tape one on one tv then watch the other on the second one. I'd be extremely disappointed to see FNL go off the air. It is a heck of a show. Just give it a chance. Kyle Chandler is flippin' hot! Heading over to sign the petition....

November 01 2006 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kira Richardson

WAHHH WAHHHH WAHHHH!

I hate whiney cry babies.

DWTS and American Idol are great shows for young families to watch together. There is not much on these days that I can watch with my husband, my five year old, and my 2 year old and have everyone enjoy themselves. I understand there is a lot of crap out there, but that has always been the case. However, slamming your competition with a blatant "holier than thou, I've got better taste than everyone else" attitude makes me wanna puke. I think FNL looked good, but my TV cart is already pretty full, but now any chance this guy had to try me out as a viewer has been lost. Sorry, putting me down won't ever win me over. Try again.

October 25 2006 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

I take great offense to the slamming of Dancing with the Stars -- it is great fun and it is a "reality" show that doesn't resort to backstabbing or people eating bugs. It's pure entertainment, but it is just rude to insult your competition just because Friday Night Lights is not pulling in the numbers. NCIS is also doing well in that same time slot -- why not the slam against that show as well? NBC has NEVER done well with the Tuesday at 8 slot and Buzz should beg NBC to change time slots instead of insulting DWTS which is just sour grapes and without merit.

October 25 2006 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason P

I love FNL personally... I really hope it gets a full season. Fantastic cast, fantastic writing, and some good football to boot! :)

October 24 2006 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
friday night lights

Don't let NBC cancel this great show! Sign the petition at: www.savefridaynightlights.com

October 24 2006 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tyler Durden

It's not like FNL has been a beacon of good television. It's a prime-time soap opera. I was tuning in and giving it a chance because I thought it might be about football. It's not and I am done with it.

October 24 2006 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

Re: Having no interest in Friday Night Lights

What's interesting about the show is I've found it appeals most to people who think they won't like it and least to people who think they will.

As for Dancing..., well doesn't the title say it all?

October 24 2006 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Well that's one way of getting America to watch your show...

October 24 2006 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pnwskier

I really care about football, I don't live in a small town, and I hate Texas. But anyone who isn't watching FNL because they think it's about football has got it all wrong. It's not about football. It's about people. Football just provides a backdrop for all sorts of interesting and realistic people interactions to play out. I'm glad NBC is not giving up on it yet, and in fact seems to be trying to give it a chance to succeed. Unfortunately, it's just not a show that lends itself to flashy promos, and it's easy to misunderstand if you've never seen it.

October 24 2006 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply