November 27, 2014

NBC trying for Must-See TV again on Thursday

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 25th 2006 3:46PM

ScrubsNBC has just announced that they are bringing back Scrubs to Thursday night and moving the new comedy 30 Rock to Thursday too, in an effort to bring back a little old glory to the night. The two comedies will join My Name Is Earl and The Office for a new two-hour comedy block: Earl at 8, followed by The Office, Scrubs, then 30 Rock. ER, the only non-comedy on the night, will stay at 10pm. The new lineup starts on November 16.

One question remains: will the Deal Or No Deal that is currently on at 9 get moved or removed from the schedule?

[via TV Tattle]

Alberto

I agree with some of you... it is a good call. CSI is actually on the way down, no matter what some of you might think. There are vierwers to be stolen here.

Plus you have to keep in mind that it wont take for 30 Rock/Scrubs to beet Grey's or CSI for it to be a hit for them. They probably have a target number of viewers, and if they hit it it will be a hit. Then fast forward to next year after one 'full' season of a two hour top-notch comedy package and more viewers will continue to come.

Also, this move is making a statement, and more than one viewer will catch on to this and move to NBC for Must See TV comedy.

October 27 2006 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Thomas

you guys are daft. this is a great move. Reilly is finally doing something. anything, that revives some of nbc's former glory

October 26 2006 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

30 Rock belongs on Thursday. Good call.

October 26 2006 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy Mac

SO HAPPY for Scrubs!!! That is great news. I can't wait! I honestly thought I'd have to wait until January again like last year.

Could it be? Maybe? Just maybe, NBC has done something right.

Finally.

October 25 2006 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M-D

On the one hand, yes, Thursday 9-10 Eastern could be considered a 'death slot' on NBC, given the strong competition. But you could also make the argument that it's solid counter-programming. When FOX has the Super Bowl, what does CBS do? Run a 'chick flick'. This is no different - NBC is offering a comedy alternative to procedural drama (CSI), teen angst drama (The OC), spooky drama (Supernatural), and crap (Grey's Anatomy). I would have actually gone one step farther and moved "Studio 60" to Thursdays at 10 Eastern, with ER shifting to either Tuesday (displacing an L&O) or Wednesday (displacing Dateline).

I'm also curious about the fate of 20 Good Years, not that I've been watching it. Does NBC have any sitcoms in the pipeline for midseason?

October 25 2006 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan S.

I'm excitited that Scrubs is coming back, but it really is in the death slot of agaist both Grey's and CSI, I'm sorry, but Scrubs is in a world of hurt.

Good idea, but bad excecution.

October 25 2006 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

I know all the scrub fans will tune in for sure but this is a hard time slot. Studio 60 would be gone by now if it was in this slot, but luckily the 7 or so million scrub fans will keep the show alive at least until the end of this season. Damn you Zach Braff, your movies stink, you'll always be J.D. to me. Boycott the new "Fletch" people. Make him realize without dream sequences and the bi-racial siamese doctor, he is nothing.

October 25 2006 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher J. Arndt

Thurs nights at 9 PM, NBC - Traditionally the hour of great comedy. Then the demise of Must-See-TV and the addition of Will and Grace to NBC Thursday.

Talk about taking in the wrong chute.

October 25 2006 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Bingo adhonus. We still love to laugh, we just need somethnig funny to laugh at. I laugh the most during Boston Legal, great comedy. :)

October 25 2006 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

All I heard is Scrubs is coming back!!!!!!!! (that should have been the title of the post)

October 25 2006 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply