October 2, 2014

Did Ellen know? Battlestar Galactica's Ron Moore speaks

by Keith McDuffee, posted Oct 26th 2006 4:27PM
ellen tighOver in my review of the latest episode of Battlestar Galactica there's quite a bit of brouhaha going on amongst the commenters about whether or not Saul Tigh's wife, Ellen, knew she was being poisoned. I will admit, to the casual observer it sure seems like she doesn't know. Though once the debate started, it did create need for pause.

In Ron Moore's most recent podcast, the Battlestar Galactica executive producer only managed to fuel the fire by saying: "Does she know? I think she might know." Might? Did? I had to get to the bottom of this, so I asked the man himself. See what he had to say after the jump.

"We intentionally blurred this point so as to be somewhat ambiguous here. It's not entirely clear in the scene whether she knows or not and I liked leaving it for the audience to decide for themselves ultimately whether Ellen participates in her own punishment or dies as Saul wants her to -- peacefully, and unaware of what's happening to her."

So, there you have it -- it's simply up to you to decide. Now stop your biting and scratching and play nice.

Tim McCleese

I am just wondering about how the relationship between Saul and Adamma will be affected. These two are such close friends but it seemed that Saul's recent experiences have had the ripple effect of a strain on their relationship by evidence on their difference of opinion on the bridge. I think Saul needs some serious counseling. Can you imagine the pain he must be enduring?

October 29 2006 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

I believe that Ellen is gone for good. That act of Saul killing his wife will haunt him and change the decisions he makes in the future and change the story arc of BSG. If Ellen came back, the character development of Saul could become interesting though.

October 29 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Akbar: I don't disagree with you that it would kill this story arc, but if they did it a season or two down the road, I don't think it would have near the impact that you think it would.

As I've said in other places, I don't think she knew, I think she was too wrapped in herself trusting in Saul's love to see reality. That being said, I love that it was left to our imaginations.

I too, wish we could get confirm on whether Adama knew that Hera was alive. I think though, that it will come out sooner rather than later.

October 28 2006 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Just one more stroke of brilliance by the writers on this fine show. A clever twist!

October 28 2006 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Thanks for the link lp. Glad to see she thinks Ellen knew since imo that is exactly how she played it.

I will gladly throw down 20 bucks to say that Ellen is NOT a cylon. Making her one would destroy ALL emotion of her death and her tragic character.

October 27 2006 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

If I've done this right it should be Kate Vernon's posts on the Sci-Fi board

She believes that Ellen did know, and I think she's more than a bit pissed that she got killed but in the 304 podcast Ron Moore says that it was completely necessary for the story to be told properly.

I don't think she'll be back, if she is then they'll have to bring back Billy, Adama's other son, and any other character that might have had some more storylines to tell.

October 27 2006 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Akbar, do you want to start taking the money for this bet, or should I? Geeze, if she's a cylon, I'll eat my hat.

October 27 2006 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

I believe that there is another Cylon sleeper, yet to be "unmasked".
The way the writers/prods think you know that they have one or two shockers hidden away. Ellen and A N Other are almost certainties (I won't disclose my second candidate, someone who matches the known Cylon Religious beliefs....).
Why Ellen? No word that the actress wanted to be written out, no statement from her being "sorry" her part has ended. She played a pivotal role and for her husband to poison her in such a dramatic conclusion is so so ready for a rebirth with a several ep mini-story around it. Great for writers:)

October 26 2006 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Sorry Ian, in now way can I ever buy that Ellen is a cylon.

If you consider the known cylon types to each be a certain archetypes what then would Ellens be? Drunken slut does not seem to have much credibility. Plus, why would Cavil want to sleep with her if she was just one of them?

October 26 2006 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Exodus, Part 2 was another exceptional episode of Battlestar Galactica for many reasons, but the death scene of Ellen was so dramatic, so emotional! It really showcased what exceptional actors Michael Hogan and Kate Vernon are; they had a wonderful, dysfunctional, chemistry. I'm actually going to miss Ellen. She was not one of my favorite characters, but her role in these first episodes finally showed us Ellen's true colors: she wasn't a Cylon and she was willing to whatever necessary to save the man she truly loved, even if that decision was not the right one. I'm going to miss Ellen Tigh and Kate Vernon.

October 26 2006 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply