November 27, 2014

Lots of Comedy Central clips have vanished from YouTube

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 28th 2006 1:23PM

Daily Show and Colbert ReportLost Remote is reporting (via Fimoculous) that several Comedy Central video clips - mostly clips from The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and South Park - have been taken off of YouTube and replaced with the "This video has been removed due to copyright infringement" message.

Hmmm...what's going on here?

It's interesting that this should happen, because YouTube has been a great benefit to Comedy Central. But maybe things are starting to change, especially since YouTube was bought by Google and has started to make deals with several networks, including CBS, part of Viacom like Comedy Central.

chillspike

Hey, do you want Daily Show, Colbert Report and South Park clips to return to YouTube?

I'm trying to start a push to get Comedy Central video clips back on YouTube:

Please consider emailing Comedy Central and asking them to put up an official CC page at YouTube! If enough of us ask we could convince them to put up a page like CBS and NBC already have at YouTube. Then, perhaps Comedy Central will enable the embed feature, as CBS and NBC do, for the clips they themselves put on YouTube. It won't be the same as before, but at least it would be something!

Plus it would have the added benefit of being LEGAL!!!

AND it would certainly be in TvSquad's benefit, as well!!!

Go to Comedy Central's website, click the "Help/FAQ" link at the bottom of the page, and look for the feedback link:

Spread the word!

November 01 2006 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

YouTube copyright infringement? Okay; I won't watch his show anymore. Fair (use) enough.

October 31 2006 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sipsie

Also stupid of Comedy Central to strip their video off YouTube when their website sucks rocks through a hose. Only Windows users can watch videos on Comedy Central's website.

We're sorry, but MotherLoad will only play on PCs with Windows XP or 2000/SP4+. Click below to make sure you launch our standard media player for video (except MotherLoad exclusives).

October 30 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mac

The short clips are free advertising - stupid to take them off.

October 30 2006 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

"It's interesting that this should happen, because YouTube has been a great benefit to Comedy Central."

Was no one watching CC before this? I love unsubstantiated claims.

October 30 2006 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DB Ferguson (from www.nofactzone.net)

Also, there's an article in the New York times about the Great YouTube Purge of 2006:

October 29 2006 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DB Ferguson (from www.nofactzone.net)

I've heard from multiple YouTube members in the Colbert and Stewart fan communities that they are getting Cease and Desist letters straight from Comedy Central. And there's been quite a bit of frantic downloading of some obscure copies of the "classic" Colbert clips using the Keepvid.com FLV software.

It's also been reported that some video swap communities on LiveJournal are being shut down due to the recent crackdown on copyright infringement.

On the upside, Comedy Central's Motherload has improved GREATLY in the very recent future. Searches can find almost any video on 'The Colbert Report' that you're looking for. The serious disadvantage is that the videos cannot be embedded into blogs like YouTube videos can. On my Colbert fan site, I embed videos almost every day. Now I fear that I will get contacted by the Viacom lawyers, so I'm being very careful to what I post going forward and instead I'll just put links to the Motherload videos.

October 29 2006 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Preston

It's also interesting that this comes a few weeks after Colbert says that Youtube owes him 750 million dollars. Even more ironic is that the Youtube link that you get when you search Google for the information has been taken down by the owner.

October 28 2006 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Yeah this doesn't make sense.

I understand deleteing whole episodes of show, but funny 2-3 minute clips? That's crazy.

October 28 2006 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

I really don't understand this because, among other things, a LOT of these clips are already available online through comedy central's website... but I'm a mac user, and I can't view them. I would watch them on comedy central's website if I could, but now I can't watch them at all.
Also, Colbert has actively encouraged youtube usage with his green screen challenge.

October 28 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply