October 23, 2014

Where the heck is Jimmy McNulty?

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 29th 2006 1:04PM
Jimmy McNultyThis is a quick rant, but it's something that's been bugging me this entire season of The Wire. How come McNulty has barely been in season four?!? He was the glue for this show during the first three seasons and ever since he decided to downgrade himself and take a regular old patrol officer position in the Western District, it's like he doesn't exist. Which I suppose is saying something. The city of Baltimore keeps on ticking with or without Jimmy McNulty. I don't know, I just miss his character. I miss his Jameson-induced drunken dialogue and I miss seeing him dedicated to the job. Unfortunately, it seems the only job he was ever dedicated to was bringing down Stringer and Avon. They're gone and now so is McNulty's drive. Bottom line? While I'm happy that he's settled down with Bea and tried to start over, the show (while still excellent) isn't the same without him.

FP

There is actually a lot of interesting info on that Simon interview on IGN:
-- rating are up
-- despite that, he does not ever expect it to be a "hit"
-- American look to TV for relaxation and a jarring novelized drama with a majority-black cast aint relaxing.

October 30 2006 at 7:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

IGN interviewed David Simon (creator of The Wire) recently, and they asked him about McNulty:

October 29 2006 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamTVman

While McNulty's a great character, I think this season has been great without him. They needed to take a break from the whole him vs. the higher ups thing. He's a great actor- check out him playing a British heavy metal rocker in the Mark Wahlberg vehicle "Rock Star".

October 29 2006 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jbou

If you are watching the show it seems pretty obvious that McNulty is going to help out Omar, remember Omar is owed a favor from the first season.

October 29 2006 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

i see other people have been frequenting the torrent sites as well. so i'll reiterate: all is not lost, the new (and improved?) jimmy mcnulty is still around.

October 29 2006 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan at Spot Cost

I loved the change. How many times can he just coincidentally be at the center of a city-wide firestorm? And realistically, how long would he butt his head against a door to do good police work?

I thought it made sense, and I do like the character a lot, but I think the show's good enough to not have him in a Jack Bauer role.

October 29 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Just wait till the end of season 4. Some surprises coming up. It says something about the writers that they can remove their "lead" character and still be better than ever and retain the feel of the show.

And btw, Dominic West is also in that upcoming movie "300".

October 29 2006 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Buckley

He appears in later episodes, don't worry. Anyway, if you watch the various The Wire video podcasts over at HBO, they make the point that the show is more than any one character and they go with what the narrative requires, rather than go with who's popular with the audience.

October 29 2006 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pat Shields

When "The Wire" was picked up for this season, I recall reading that Mr. West was only willing to return on a limited basis. Other commitments, etc. But a little McNulty is better than NO McNulty, right?

October 29 2006 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

I believe I heard that Dominic West, the actor playing McNulty, wanted to spend some time with his family. I'm betting he'll be back in full force next season.

October 29 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply