September 30, 2014

Hugh Laurie flexes his comedy muscles - VIDEO

by Annie Wu, posted Oct 30th 2006 9:03PM
Hugh LaurieThe previous week's episode of Saturday Night Live was pretty solid. Hugh Laurie's fantastic performance was a pleasant surprise for a lot of my House-loving friends, because they weren't quite sure what to expect from the ever-gruff Dr. House. Well, most people don't know that Laurie has an extensive comedy background... an extensive sketch comedy background... an extensive British sketch comedy background, at that (do not be fooled by House's flawless American accent). For several years, he performed with fellow British comedian, Stephen Fry, in a double-act called "Fry and Laurie" (it developed into a television show called A Bit of Fry and Laurie). Check out a clip that I've included after the jump.

Oh, and off-topic from Hugh Laurie, but on-topic with SNL... I've gotta say, I liked how Beck's performances were actually interesting to watch. I usually take a bathroom break when I know that the musical guests are coming up, but I'm glad I stuck around to see Beck's weird puppets and dish-bangers.

Mary-Contrary

I read that the 'Republican parodies' (Robert Smigel's TV Funhouse cartoon) referred to in COMMENT #5 by 'dwacon' above may have gotten NBC into some hot water. Not politically but Legally.

NBC recently demanded that Youtube.com remove all instances of that PARTICULAR episode from their servers.

The Campbell Brothers cartoons had been 'pitched' to NBC Saturday Night Live producer Lorne Micheals several months before. Last week's TV Funhouse cartoon was basically a ripoff of the Campbell Bros work.

That can't be good.

November 02 2006 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

A special appearance by Stephen on SNL would have made it the best episode ever. :-D

November 01 2006 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Just to toss in another two cents; Hugh Laurie was also in most of the Blackadder series with Rowan Atkinson. That show was where I was first introduced to Mr. Laurie and I've been a fan ever since.

October 31 2006 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanTubbs

This episode gives the false impression the show is back on track. The next new episode with Alec Baldwin will do the same. Both shows will reinforce the impression that this is a show that depends on a strong host to carry it, or to make it interesting to watch.

October 31 2006 at 5:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

I live in the UK and decided to download this episode because I am a huge fan of both Hugh Laurie & Beck. I thought Beck was great and Hugh Laurie's monologue was OK whilst the song he did was not quite as good as when he did it over a decade ago. The rest of the sketches were quite frankly crap. I manage to catch 4 or 5 episodes of SNL a year and I've never seen one that I thought was genuinely good, how is this thing still on the air? The sketches are plain weak. I love US television but this is terrible.

October 31 2006 at 4:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Buckley

Don't forget that Hugh Laurie was one of the main stars of the British version of Saturday Night Live, back in the 80s.

October 31 2006 at 2:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

Don't forget that Fry & Laurie were also doing Wooster & Jeeves at the same time as "A Bit of Fry & Laurie."

Geniuses, the two of them.

October 31 2006 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oscar Dahl, BuddyTV

This was easily the best SNL episode in the past two years. SNL always rides waves of quality and I think they may be on their way to something consistently good in the near future.

October 31 2006 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Heumann

You didn't mention Laurie's incredible performances several of the Blackadder series (especially the fourth one, where he played an incredible boob in WWI).

October 30 2006 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

Other than the Republican parodies, I thought the show was a snoozer... and I watched it the day-after on TIVO. An infrared fart joke that went on forever? Gag!

dwacon