April 24, 2014

The Five: New characters that bother me

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 30th 2006 9:13AM
HeroesBelow are a list of five new characters (some on new shows, some on returning shows) that bother me. Not necessarily the actor or actress who plays the part, but it's more the way the character is written or how they look or some other feature that really annoys me. I'm sure you can come up with other examples.

1. Peter Petrelli (Heroes): Fantastic show, but can Milo Ventimiglia please, please, please do something with his hair? It's always falling down in front of his face and he has to push it back up. But unless he cuts it, styles it differently, or uses some gel in his hair, it's just going to fall down again. Milo, a little dab'l do ya.

2. That new guy on Lost. OK, so he's suddenly there, playing golf, with hints of a major story with Desmond, and we're supposed to believe he's been there the whole time and we just haven't seen him? And what's up with his accent? I can't place it.

3. Hope (ER): The other new religious blonde on an NBC show (along with Harriet Hayes on Studio 60). But the reason I picked her is because her beliefs are starting to actually get in the way of treating patients. She stops to pray before doing a procedure on someone, and you just know that she's going to be confronted with a young pregnant girl who comes into the ER and will be conflicted about what to do. And, hey, did they have to give her the name Hope? Not very subtle.

4. Skylar (Jericho): First she's a snobby girl who dumps on everyone else with her clique, then she befriends nerdy kid Dale, then she turns back into a bitch again. Pick a side and go with it already, will ya?

5. Cheryl Carrera (Standoff): They're really giving her nothing to do, except be the cliched "tough boss that the two rule-breaking heroes have to butt heads with every episode." That's just formula, and in a show that already uses too much we're already seen before, that's not good.

Heather

I'm surprised nobody has places Paolo yet. He played the evil surfer/biker guy in Charlie's Angels 2 as well as Carl in Love Actually. I think the reason for his and his girlfriend/wife's (??) addition is simply because they keep killing off so many characters, they need to replace some of them. Also, with Jack, Sawyer, and Kate with the Others they need more characters to fill the scenes back at camp. ....just a thought.

November 01 2006 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bullen

No, the definitive FIVE MOST ANNOYING characters of this season? Trishelle Cannatella - VIP Passport, Jerry Ferris - VIP Passport, Ryan Whatever - VIP Passport, Rachel Sterling - VIP Passport, and whoever the hell that other bimbo is - VIP Asswart.

I swear to f*&K if I see one more self indulgent reality 'STAR' being pampered in the lap of luxury I will kill someone. What genius thought up this crapfest? Five no-talent 'personalities' being escorted around the world to every damn place you wish you could go to, spending millions of dollars on handbags and cars, eating in five star restaurants and staying in four star hotels... It makes me so mad!

Count me out of the reality 'star' parade... until a sex tape appears that features trishelle and rachel. I'll watch that.

October 31 2006 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grimbus

Weren't golf balls, they were golf ball-shaped rocks or come kind of hard fruit or something. I don't know what they were, but they definitely weren't golf balls. They were smooth (no dimples), greenish, and a little oversized.

I noticed, because I thought the same thing.

grmbs

October 30 2006 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott mclendon

Speaking of Lost,what happened to the black lady and her husband?Seems they got lost.
Speaking of Paulo,why was the dope knocking all of his golf balls in the ocean?

October 30 2006 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Okay, my five most annoying new characters of the TV season:

1) Harriet Hayes, "Studio 60": I've decided that it isn't the fault of the actress; she's doing the best she can with the material. But when character after character praise you to the heavens for how talented you are as a comic actress and a singer, you better deliver the goods. So the blame here rests with Sorkin.

2) Ianto, "Torchwood": This guy has the Willie Armitage type of role that Peter Lupus played on "Mission: Impossible" - the goto guy for the transportation and supplies for each missioin. But the actor who plays him is so colorless, I wonder if this is symptomatic of all the Welsh. In recent years, it's the type of role that would have been played by hip computer expert guys like Auger in "Earth: Final Conflict" or the guy they have now on shows like "Vanished" or the CSI's. The role needs somebody who's of a different race/nationality perhaps, or at least someone who's interesting.

3) Isaac, "Heroes" - Too mopey, needs a bath, and would it kill him to turn on a light in his stuido?

4) Kitty, "Brothers & Sisters" - It's all due to the actress. I was tired of Calista Flockhart before "Ally McBeal" finally ground to a halt. And even trying to look beyond that, the character is an automatic turn-off as well. There have been characters in the past I've disagreed with politically or morally on other shows whom I've found interesting. Not Kitty.

5) The bartender/other woman on "Jericho". Not really the type of role I can see being around for the long haul, and the actress doesn't bring anything to the part to overcome that. How long before the radioactive mutants from Wichita take her out?

Limiting it to just five spares a couple of folks up in Elmo, Alaska.....

October 30 2006 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superbagman

I'm astounded by the amount of hatred towards Paolo for his nearly non-existant two scenes. Frankly I'm more annoyed that we HAVEN'T seen any more of the other survivors. Back before season 1 Damon Lindelof said they would do this sort of thing all the time, but they never did.

October 30 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tamara

Jeanie Whatley of "Studio 60" is by far the worst new character of the season. She whines too much about her fear of being not funny. What should be the biggest worry is if the show will be cancelled.

October 30 2006 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrisb

So your reason for selecting bothersome characters is bad hair and misplaced accents? Do you actually watch the shows or just look at the pretty pictures on your TV screen?

It would be nice if bloggers actually put some thought into what they're posting.

October 30 2006 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

From what I understand, the Brazilian guy (that's the accent that should be there, he's most likely trying on a different one for size) is only here for this season, so I don't think we have to get too attached. And, his eyes are too close together. And his attitude? Nyet. Yep, he annoys me already.

October 30 2006 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

Paolo (from Lost) is from Brazil.

October 30 2006 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply