September 15, 2014

Bob Barker to retire in June - BREAKING NEWS

by Joel Keller, posted Oct 31st 2006 4:35PM
Bob BarkerWhen I was watching The Price is Right the other day, I was marvelling at the energy Bob Barker was displaying on stage, despite the fact that a) the show was in its 35th season and b) Bob is well into his eighties (he'll turn 83 on December 12). But, at the same time, I was thinking that he couldn't keep this up much longer, for both of the reasons I stated above.

Well, I guess Bob was thinking the same thing, as he just announced that he will retire at the end of TPiR's current season, which tapes its last show in June. Coincidentally, it will also be the end of his 50th year on television (he hosted Truth or Consequences from 1956 to 1974). To him, those two anniversaries made it a good time to leave.

He said that in retirement he will be doing animal-rights work, but he will also be open to movie roles. "I refuse to do nude scenes," he joked. "These Hollywood producers want to capitalize on my obvious sexuality, but I don't want to be just another beautiful body."

Fremantle Media, which produces TPiR, has been working on finding a replacement for a couple of years. My suggestion? Todd Newton, who already does the TPiR road show at Harrah's casinos. He knows the show backwards and forwards and will definitely make for a smooth transition.

David

I saw an interview with him in the paper about a month ago. He signed a three year deal but didn't think he would make it to the three years because they have been looknig for a replacement for years. He isn't retiring, he's been fired and it's a cover story.

November 01 2006 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fladam

I totally agree that Summers is the man for the job..

His early Double Dare career could be the spark that's needed to keep the young crowd around..

October 31 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natrino

I hope the Bob Barker robot is ready. And if not, I'm all for Marc Summers.

October 31 2006 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

This is a sad time for daytime television. There will never be another Bob Barker and it's unlikely we'll ever see another daytime game show reach 35 years, particularly with the same emcee at the helm for the entire run.

This is news I have long expected, yet it still managed to catch me completely off guard.

I hate to imagine a "replacement," because you can't replace someone who has become such an integral part of the show. My bet is that it'll be Todd Newton, and I know he loves the show and would be fine. Also, he's got the recent experience with the live show.

Nothing against Summers or Fields, but I think Newton would be better. And in Fields's case, I'd hate to have to get used to a new host AND a new announcer at the same time. Having anyone else besides Barker host will be enough of an adjustment as it is, as far as I'm concerned.

October 31 2006 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVGenius

I'm all for Marc Summers... he'd be one of the best people out there right now. He'd being a lot of energy to the show, and just enough goofyness that it might bring in more young viewers too...

October 31 2006 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

I agree Rich Fields should be the successor to Bob Barker. In the almost 3 years that Rich Fields has been the announcer he shows an enthusiasm that would make him the perfect host. He also looks right for the part.

October 31 2006 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Slug

No way. I vote for the announcer, Rich Fields. He really knows the show backwards and forwards. And he's quite personable. Not only does he narrate the show, he warms up the audience before Bob Barker does his thang.

October 31 2006 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Avi Forstein

Todd Newton would be good...however, I would recommend Marc Summers from "Double Dare". I think he would be just as good, if not better, because college kids would treat him the same way they treat Bob Barker today, thanks to their memories of DD.

October 31 2006 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply