August 20, 2014

Weeds: Pittsburgh (season finale)

by Julia Ward, posted Oct 31st 2006 8:39PM
Weeds(S02E12) Weeds went the way of Tarantino last night with an old-school Mexican stand-off by way of Armenia. The slowly crumbling wall between Nancy's home and work life came down with a mighty thud in a finale that left us with a quasi-kidnapped Shane, a busted Silas and a very dead Peter. There are, to quote Shane's genius commencement speech, "motherfucking snakes on the motherfucking plane" that is Agrestic.

Before beginning this review in earnest, let us take a moment to mourn the passing of Peter. No one really cared about Peter. It was never clear if Nancy really did or not, and frankly, it seems like the writers had backed themselves into a corner so they off-ed him. This is all well and good in that it shows us just how far Heylia is willing to go in her wheeling and dealing, but the TV landscape is now without Hal Hartley regular Martin Donovan. Sigh.

Alright, moment over. On with the review.

There was nothing ostensibly wrong with the season two finale of Weeds. We got a hilarious Doug-Dean face-off, Celia macking on Andy, Heylia back in action, Isabelle making with the Harry Potter analogies, Shane throwing down revolutionary style at his elementary school graduation and Silas getting in on the family biz. Suburban dystopia has come to a head, and the hypocrisy has got to stop.

The problem for me was that the joy I take in Weeds is in the little moments. I like the sly commentary on acceptable drugs that comes with Celia's high-strung alcohol binges and Nancy's ever-present latte. The emotional resonance of Nancy's predicaments come from the fact that everything is always just on the verge of breaking down. She has walked a high-wire act for two seasons that, more often than not, has landed her in the fetal position, alone and in tears, but so far, hasn't landed her in prison or staring down the barrel of a shotgun. Nancy's inadequacies and struggles were relatable for me as an audience member until last night - until she married a man in order to prevent him from testifying against her, until her drug deal went horribly awry and until her youngest son ended up sucking down Cactus Coolers while on the lam.

Where does the show go from here? We'll have to wait and see. I trust the writers enough to follow them down the path of whatever comes next -- unless, of course, that path leads to Pittsburgh. Lovely city, but I hear the weeds grow taller in Agrestic.

Scott

Hi, I live in Australia. Weeds started only this month, but thanks to torrent files I have seen the entire show.
Australian viewers do not have the privelege of a site that tells us what songs were in in each episode (and we are locked out of international equivalents). Who sings the 'die, motherfucker, die/ I want to see you cry' song.
It's playing when Peter is being killed. Yes. Killed. He has to be dead, or Weeds just jumped the shark. We knew the dog was dangerous and would attack people, and there was no way Peter could escape, and everyone seemed pretty sure that he was dead.

Cheers.
PS. don't forget about that song

December 22 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert B.

"Die Motherfucker Die" by Get Set Go

November 16 2006 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gemini

I was thinking about Peter's death and the will as a season 3 opener, but don't you think that Nancy will be investigated for being married to Peter legally, yet secretly, and for mailing the certificate one day before his death? I mean he is DEA, right?
-Showtime canceled 2 brilliant shows that I was hooked on and left them both at cliffhanger phase. (Dead Like Me & Huff). If they cancel Weeds I vow to NEVER watch Showtime again!

November 12 2006 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Gotta love Weeds! I have been watching since episode 1; and I can't say whether or not Peter is dead. Silus cracking the safe...doubtful, but a great twist at the end. I love the writing; lmfao everytime I watch. Who is going to end up with 38 pounds of magical Milf? I can't wait for season 3. So what's the actual episode count per season? 10 episodes first season, 12 episodes second season. I can't tell. It would be nice to see 20 or more episodes per season. Spark up and enjoy! This show deserves more exposure. I think it's every bit as good as Two and a Half Men or War at Home. Keep'm comin'!

November 12 2006 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nason

After watching all the Weeds in a day, I hope I can safely say that the writing style doesn't lend itself well to the kind of twist required to allow Peter to be alive ... sure, there was no body and no gunshot .. maybe I'm just naïve in assuming when everyone screams "YES!" at Nancy that they weren't lying .. don't you think the writers have enough plot fodder to deal with without needing a kidnapped but very much alive Peter? They've managed to pickle every other major character .. I'd actually be pretty upset if Peter's still alive. This is Showtime's "Weeds" .. not "As My Stomach Turns" ..
I had the same feeling you did, Beth .. that one of the first couple episodes from the newest season will involve the reading of Peter's will, considering Nancy mailed the certificate before the deal went down .. I'm assuming we have to wait until August, considering each of the first two seasons began in August. Dammit!

November 07 2006 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Doofus

Peter may have lost some toes but I doubt he's dead (anyone see the armenian pit bull run into the garage?)

Martin Donovan rocks. Check out Hal Hartley's early movies.

November 06 2006 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thebestofthebestic

I think sanje is going to burn the house, that was a genius thought. As far as silus figuring out where the grow room is, well my thoughts are as follows! Remember when Andy gets burned by nancy when the envelopes were being passed out. Well him and silus bonded in the pool, both sharing the fact they want "in". Andy was in a spot he would have broke the info to silus. But the combination thing i got no clue. maybe they werent alone when they were discussing the combination, there are a lot of closets, Andy could have been there too, in a closet! and then boom hook up with silus when you are most pissed, when you get no envelope

November 04 2006 at 4:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonte

Hello all weeds fans.

I NEED to know what the song is called, the one they play when they "waste" peter.

Die motherfucker die , i wanna see you cry

November 04 2006 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I wondered if anyone else was tearing up when Melvina started singing the theme song. It totally brought things back to season one. I did not enjoy the most of the episodes of season 2 nearly as much as season 1, but I did enjoy the finale. I feel like peter is dead. I feel maybe they shot the dog that ran in and missed Peter, or shot him but he is still alive. Reguardless of Peter's mortal status, does anyone feel like Sanje is going to burn down the grow house to save the day again?
Also I feel like Celia somehow might bail Nancy out. She is obviously desparate for Nancy's friendship, and maybe Silus and Celia can bypass the cop and deliver. If Celia gets shot in the process she will just come back, according to Isabelle, and probably have another revalation in the Hospital.
Thoughts?

November 02 2006 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Rich, if American Cinema has taught us anything, the Armenian mob has no issues with killing. The Russian Mob, maybe. But not those Armenians.

I don't think they showed the killing because this show is really trying to downplay the inherent violence in the drug business. It's the only drug related show I've seen where the all violence involves the government in some way. I think we see what's going on here.

November 01 2006 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply