October 31, 2014

More news on Battlestar Galactica spin-off Caprica

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 1st 2006 2:29PM
BSGA few more details have emerged about the Battlestar Galactica spin-off that's in the works. Don Kaplan of the New York Post writes that first drafts of scripts for the series, called Caprica, have shown up at the SciFi network's offices, and gets a few details from BSG creator Ron More on what the show is going to be about.

According to Moore, Caprica will take place 50 years before BSG and will be about the creation of the Cylons. The show will center around two families: one who owns the Microsoft-esque coporation that develops the Cyclon technology, and the family of Adama's father, a lawyer who starts to oppose the Cylons' creation. "It's a family drama and a political drama about corporations and politics. It's almost [more] like a sci-fi soap than it is an action-adventure series," Moore tells Kaplan.

erroneous_nick

What...the link to syfyportal.com I sent to your tip line 2 days ago regarding this story wasn't good enough for ya? Geez...

November 01 2006 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

For a second I thought I was on the AICN talkback with the kneejerk negative reactions to a show that hasn't even been filmed yet.

I find the idea interesting and as a fan of political intrigue, Ron Moore and well made soap opera I'm hoping that the end result will be of the same quality as BSG.

November 01 2006 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles gilliland

So it's Dallas... in space. Tell me you see the similarities.

November 01 2006 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

I hope this show dies a quick death. I'm tired of prequels. Why can't BSG stand on its own? I don't know why, but this show smells like Enterprise.

November 01 2006 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NavStar

I love BSG, but its ratings on a real network would ensure a quick death. So making a spin-off of a niche show would be even more niche-ier, won't it? (Like a Farscape or Eureka spinoff.)

November 01 2006 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

My guess is that something big will be revealed in the existing BSG series that will allow for this show to evolve. Like having the rest of the Cylon models revealed or finding out who the true creator of the "skinjobs" are.

November 01 2006 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I am looking forward to this. I think there is plenty of story in pre-cylon war to be told. However, I do not understand the need to tie it back into the Adama family. Isn't that just a little too convenient?

I am trying to look past the anti-climatic direction of the main plot (we all know the cylons will be born, revolt and kill lots of humans)

November 01 2006 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply