October 22, 2014

VH1 greenlights six new reality series

by Julia Ward, posted Nov 1st 2006 11:57AM
VH1VH1 has given the greenlight to a slate of new primetime reality series featuring music celebrities. Of course, some of those celebrities are more famous than others.

While most of the shows promise the same car accident, "can't help but stare" cringe-worthiness of the unfortunate Surreal Life, at least one or two of the promised series sound vaguely entertaining.

Here are the six titles in development:

1. An untitled "Gotti" project in which we follow Irv Gotti getting the Inc label back on its feet after three years under investigation by the federal government for conspiracy charges.

2. Man Band featuring Jeff Timmons, formerly of 98 Degrees, trying to fashion himself and four other boy band has-beens into a new pop sensation. So far, former members of Color Me Badd, LFO and 'NSync are on board. Are you cringing yet?

3. Ego Trip's White Rapper Show is a talent show in search of the next Eminem. Ten contestants undergo a series of challenges to see who has what it takes to fill the Beastie Boys' jumpsuits. If Ego Trip is behind it, we at least know that we're in for Chappelle-style satire along the way.

4. A vehicle for Cisco Adler of Malibu-based band Whitestarr.

5. The aired pilot Rags to Riches featuring Snoop Dogg is being developed into a full series.

6. And, last but not least, the most promising of the bunch Bridging the Gap, in which two performers are brought together to talk about their lives and record a duet. The series opener features Queen Latifah and Eve, which sounds like a natural, but let's see if they can really get imaginative with those pairings. I wanna see some Iggy Pop meets Scarlett Jo for those Tom Waits recordings she's been promising. Jack White and Marianne Faithfull? The Neptunes and D'Angelo? Heck, you could play this game all night.

VSJ

Can't wait! Also, "I Love New York" should be entertaining for at least for one or two episodes - I'm guessing this time SHE is looking for her "Ghetto- fabulous bachelor" suitor?

November 06 2006 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

MAN BAND sounds like such a train-wreck that it has to be good and BRIDGING THE GAP sounds interesting especially if they show some imagination with the pairings.

November 01 2006 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Winter

What's with all this new garbage? Bring back Can't Get a Date!

November 01 2006 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tara

Carissa - I wouldn't say VH1 is the "old people's" MTV... although I do think it's a little more mature. If you've taken a look at MTV lately, it's definitely geared towards high schoolers and younger... and have you actually seen a music video on MTV? And if so, was it the WHOLE music video or just 30 seconds of it?

Not to say that VH1 isn't guilty of the same crime, but I seem to think that the programs and content they have are directed towards an older audience but by older, I mean high school graduates and up. I'm 23 and I usually enjoy VH1 (Especially those Remember the 80's series and such!)

November 01 2006 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

It would be nice if they went back to videos instead of List shows and reality shows.

I caught a video the other morning around 6am and was suprised it was VH1. So I guess if I want music from them I have to become an insomniac.

November 01 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Oh boy, more reality programming. Someone shoot me.

November 01 2006 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stone

Don't forget that they have another reality show with ex Flavor of Love contestant New York entitled "I Love New York." Flavor Flav also has some development deals in the works. (They're trying to milk him for all they can)

November 01 2006 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I don't understand the choices here; isn't VH-1 the old people's MTV? I can't see the older crowd watching these shows. My lack of insight shows how often I watch formerly music oriented stations.

November 01 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply