VH1 greenlights six new reality series
While most of the shows promise the same car accident, "can't help but stare" cringe-worthiness of the unfortunate Surreal Life, at least one or two of the promised series sound vaguely entertaining.
Here are the six titles in development:
1. An untitled "Gotti" project in which we follow Irv Gotti getting the Inc label back on its feet after three years under investigation by the federal government for conspiracy charges.
2. Man Band featuring Jeff Timmons, formerly of 98 Degrees, trying to fashion himself and four other boy band has-beens into a new pop sensation. So far, former members of Color Me Badd, LFO and 'NSync are on board. Are you cringing yet?
3. Ego Trip's White Rapper Show is a talent show in search of the next Eminem. Ten contestants undergo a series of challenges to see who has what it takes to fill the Beastie Boys' jumpsuits. If Ego Trip is behind it, we at least know that we're in for Chappelle-style satire along the way.
4. A vehicle for Cisco Adler of Malibu-based band Whitestarr.
5. The aired pilot Rags to Riches featuring Snoop Dogg is being developed into a full series.
6. And, last but not least, the most promising of the bunch Bridging the Gap, in which two performers are brought together to talk about their lives and record a duet. The series opener features Queen Latifah and Eve, which sounds like a natural, but let's see if they can really get imaginative with those pairings. I wanna see some Iggy Pop meets Scarlett Jo for those Tom Waits recordings she's been promising. Jack White and Marianne Faithfull? The Neptunes and D'Angelo? Heck, you could play this game all night.