October 31, 2014

Lost: The Cost of Living

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 2nd 2006 1:07AM
lost
(S03E05) Now there's only one new episode of Lost left before a 13-week hiatus until February. The writers have answered quite a few questions in the last two episodes, but you know we're going to be left with a big, fat cliffhanger one week from tonight.

This episode had a heavy religious theme that ran through all of the storylines. In Eko's story, we come to understand how he interprets his life and that he does not see himself as a sinner, despite all the people he has killed. Eko spends the episode chasing his brother, Yemi, around the island. I think that Yemi was the black smoke, either actually taking the form of a man or causing Eko's hallucinations (he also saw the people he killed and the altar boy). During season two, in the "23rd Psalm" episode, the black smoke scans Eko and we see scenes from his life in the smoke. So, the question is: did the smoke take on alternate physical form or did it cause him to hallucinate? It did seem to admit to him that it was his brother at the end, and it may have set the tent on fire at the beginning.

Whatever the smoke was, the island was demanding a confession from Eko tonight. But Eko did not give it what it wanted: he explained that he was proud of his life and his actions because he did what he had to do to survive. Maybe the island didn't like that answer, because the black smoke took the form of a hand and beat Eko against the trees and the ground. He died, but not before telling John Locke, "You're next."

While it should be shocking when a main character like Eko dies-- he really was a terrific character-- the most staggering part of this episode, in my opinion, was the conversation Jack and Juliet had. Juliet pleaded with Jack to save Ben from his fatal neck tumor, but while she spoke, she played a video that showed her with messages written on cue cards. The messages said that "Ben is a liar" and that some of the others want him dead. She wants Jack to perform the surgery but to kill Ben on the operating table and she says she will protect Jack from the others. Here's the text from the cue cards:

• "Ignore everything I'm saying."
  • "Ben is a liar."
  • "And he is very dangerous."
  • "Some of us want a change."
  • "But it has to look like an accident."
  • "It has to look like we tried to save him."
  • "And that's up to you, Jack"
  • "It's a complicated surgery. No one would ever know."
  • "And I would protect you."
  • "Now tell me to turn off the movie."

This is stunning news. But, is Jack being played? We already know that Ben is a liar. Is Juliet messing with him or is she sincere? Juliet and Ben both seem to be sincere with Jack-- the games appear to be over. But these people are super sneaky and manipulative so we just can't trust them, can we? We do have reason to believe Juliet, because the season premiere this month showed us that Ben had been shunned from the book club. Even if Juliet is being honest, I don't think Jack can bring himself to break the hippocratic hypocratic oath and just let Ben die in the operating room. I don't think he'd be able to live with himself if he knew he got off the island because he killed someone. Religion plays a small role in this storyline when Ben tells Jack that he believes in God because, two days after he was diagnosed with a terminal tumor, a spinal surgeon landed on the island.

Finally, Locke's restored faith in the island leads him and a team of castaways to the hallucinating Eko where an interesting exchange occurs. As Eko is drinking from the stream, the black smoke appears. Locke also appears across the stream and later tells Eko that he saw a beautiful bright light. Eko saw dark, black smoke. This seems to be a throwback to the good versus evil theme that was heavily played up in the first season.

Locke and friends also find the Pearl hatch, where they see a one-eyed man via closed-circuit television in another hatch. Who is the one-eyed man? Did we find his eye in the Arrow hatch inside a bible with the missing Orientation film clip? How did he know he was being watched? Previews for next week didn't show anything about a one-eyed man so I suspect we won't know who he is until 2007.

Is anybody else annoyed with the new characters, Nikki and Paolo? Nikki seems to be trying too hard to fit in with the others and Paolo seems awfully aloof. I'm annoyed by these two because they seem cleaner and less beaten up than the other characters that we know and love. They seem like imposters who want to be part of a clique. It's going to take a lot for me to care about those characters. I think the writers are intentionally trying to slowly introduce us to the characters, but I still feel a little bitter when I see them on camera. I feel like they haven't been through the same hell on earth that the other characters have been through-- which is probably true.

Sapna

Just a thought, did anyone notice that the plane that Yemi was found in was yellow but the one they flew off in originally was red? Have I missed something?

Also it's interesting that when Benry was in the castaway's hatch, Jack bought him out to have breakfast with them, and now Benry did the same thing by allowing Jack to attend the funeral. Or was this just a trick to make Jack think that Benry is a nice guy?

If Benry and Juilette are in conflict, why would Benry allow her such close contact with the guy that needs to save his life?

And if Benry knows so much about people because of his 'brilliant' mind, he should surely know that Jack would save him. Jack is too good/woose to kill anyone.

November 07 2006 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

"a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky."

If Ben is dying why doesn't he get off the Island and get help?

I suggest that he/they can not leave the Island, though they are tying to make Jack think they can.

Same with the cardiac machine - it no longer worked. Why not get it fixed or a new one?

And why the huge interest by Ben on "getting the boat". Because they need it?

If the Others are able to leave, but don't, I suspect it is because they are convinced, like Desmond was convinced of "bad germs", that if they left they would die.

November 05 2006 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

this show is going down hill. its changing completely. it was first about a plane crash, and getting off the island was the orriginal problem. i think everyone is forgetting that. now we are given minor problems to fill in things untill they get of the island, asuming that ever happens(it would be pretty boring if they found a way off, then boom, the end). but the black smoke thing, is just rediculous, not to mention it looked incredibly fake. this show is changing from a great show, to a show running out of ideas, and making up story lines as they go along. i am seriously concidering not watching this show anymore. i am alos embaressed to admit i watch it. its really slipping.

November 04 2006 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

LOST just doesn't have the same creative "oomph" that it had in the previous two seasons. I think the stories so far have been rather lackluster, and not as intriguing. And the Others seem rather, well, dull. Remember the good old days when Michael and Jin hid in the bushes, avoiding the Others, and all we saw were their feet. And that was a brilliantly shot, suspenseful moment. I am missing that this season. Oh, I still love the series. But it has been extremely slow out the gate this season, at least for me.

Oh, and I don't trust Juliet. Extremely beautiful, and I do like her character...but she could be playing Jack. And losing Mr. Eko..I LOVED HIS CHARACTER. It is a shame he was jettisoned so early into the season. And dammit---I want MORE Desmond centric episodes! Or are Lindeloff and Cuse going to ax him too? Come on LOST..get back into the rhythm that made you such a talked about series in the first place.
There is a series currently in its season 3 that has been far superior in every aspect in its first eps. that is making you guys look like an "also-ran". And Lindeloff and Cuse know who I'm talking about...they admire the show too.

November 04 2006 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

Oh crap, I forgot, what's his name, the one that Anna Lucia killed. He snapped that Tail section guys neck. The one the tail section people wrongly accused of being an other. That's two I know that were murdered. I'm not sure if any other tail section folks were murdered or just taken away.

November 04 2006 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"My brother made a very good point about the others - They haven't actually directly killed anybody -"

Actually they killed one that I know of. When Claire made it back to camp after escaping Ethan, the castaways set up watch in case he came back. Ethan threatened that as long as they held her, he would kill one person for each day they had her.

Boone was on watch and fell asleep. When he heard the cans they set up, fall down he woke up and found that one of the no name castaways was murdered on the beach. This is when they first discover that the Others have a boat. Charlie was also left for dead in the trees.

It can also be argued that the Others knew that Michael would kill to get Walt back. They may have even suggested he kill Anna Lucia as revenge and also as more incentive to spur Jack and friends into hunting them down.

Plus, Ben would have Choked Anna Lucia to death if Locke hadn't stopped him, but since she didn't die from that I won't count it.

November 04 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

My brother made a very good point about the others - They haven't actually directly killed anybody - only the crashees, and desmond have been going round bumping each other and the others off.

Another thought - the french woman might be in with the others; when she captured Benry, it was deliberately set up to allow him to infiltrate the crashees.

November 04 2006 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SYNNOMAN

OK. I HAVE BEEN A FAITHFUL LOST FAN SINCE THE SHOW STARTED A LOT OF MY FAMILY HAS DROP THEIR INTREST IN IT BECAUSE THEY SAY THAT THEY LEAVE TOO MUCH FOR THE IMAGINATION FOR TOO LONG. BUT IM LIKE HEY THATS TELEVISION BESIDES ABC AINT GONNA SUM EVERYTHING UP IN ONE SEASON CUSS THEY BE OUT OF GOOD MONEY!!!LOL BUT ANYWAY I WAS REALLY UPSET ABOUT EKO DYING THAT HIT ME SORTA KINDA HARD B/C I AGREE WITH EVERYONE ELSE THAT A MAIN PERSON DYING ON LOST CAN BE EXPECTED. I FEEL THEY COULD JUST AT LEAST LET HIM FINISH BUILDING THE CHURCH. AND LIKE EVERYONE YEAH THE TWO NEW CHARACTERS...YAWN...THEY SHOULD HAVE GOT BANGED UP BY BLACK SMOKE RATHER THAN EKO!!! JAKE WOULD BE A FOOL IF HE FOLLOWS JULIET UP! SHE'S PLAYING HIM! BEN AND JULIET PROBLEY HAVE THAT PLANNED TOGETHER JUST TO SEE HOW HE IS GOING TO RESPOND TO HER PROPOSITION AND DEAL WITH HIM ACCORDINGLY. AFTER WATCHING THESE THREE SEASONS FROM SEEING BLACK KILLER SMOKE, HORSES, POLAR BEARS, ETC. THESE PEOPLE ARE ONE OF THREE THINGS: #1. DEALING WITH CRAZY ASS ALIENS
#2.IN THE BURMUDA TRIANGLE OR #3. DEAD AND IN LIMBO TO SEE WHERE THERE SOULS ARE GOING TO CROSS. I BELIEVE IF THE THIRD IS TRUE WE KNOW WHERE POOR OLE EKO WENT. WELL JUST HAVE TO SEE WHAT CLUES THIS LAST EPISODE FOR THE SEASON LEAVES US IN WITH,UNTIL THEN ILL BE IN TOUCH MY FELLOW LOST FANS!

November 03 2006 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Wade

im really saddened that Eko died. Its messed up that he had to die when his character was really starting to develop. That black smoke sounded like a crane with a chain in it when it was flinging him back and forth. i wonder what it is and why it killed him. i wonder what the polar bear is. Whats interesting is Locke saw the same smoke in Season 1 and he smiled as he peered into it. It makes me wonder. Well.. Sawyer dosent die because hes in episode 7 so thats a relief. I wonder who the guy in the eye-patch was and how he knew he was being watched. This is the bad thing about Lost...All Questions and NO ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 03 2006 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

There's a lot more at stake than just getting Jack to do the surgery, it's also about getting him to give it his all like he did with Sarah and actually save Ben from this fatal tumor. I believe that Ben and Juliet (who have all this background info. on our survivors) read about how Jack saved Sarah against all odds and ended up marrying her, clearly showing that this meant a lot to Jack. Jack saved her because he really wanted to. So just asking Jack to do it might have got him to perform the surgery, but would it have really been a successful surgery without Jack's internal drive to save him?

November 03 2006 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply