November 1, 2014

Rob Lowe joining cast of Brothers & Sisters

by Joel Keller, posted Nov 2nd 2006 11:05AM
Rob LoweRob Lowe likes playing politicians, doesn't he? Well, at the very least, he like playing politically based roles. Maybe those roles give him a chance to jut his chin two or three times per episode, but I can't be sure.

Anyway, the reason why I ask is because Variety reports that Lowe has been signed to play a "John McCain-type Republican" senator (Do Hollywood scribes write any other type of Republicans?) in at least six episodes of the ABC show Brothers & Sisters. His character will be running for reelection while going through a contentious divorce, and will start dating Calista Flockhart's character Kitty when he goes on her talk show.

Jon Robin Baitz, the show's executive producer, wrote the role with Lowe in mind, and tells Variety that he hopes Lowe will stay full time after his six episode stint is over.

Related:
Trouble on the set of Brothers & Sisters
Brothers & Sisters gets full season order

Skye

First of all, I'm a HUGE Rob Lowe fan and I'm insanely excited about him guest-starring on my new favorite show. Six episodes sounds just right. But I'm not sure making him a permanent addition to the cast is such a good idea. Rob is, for lack of a better phrase, an attention whore. Things usually need to revolve around him, which accounted for him departure from The West Wing. I just don't want him to take over the show, as much as I absolutely adore him.

Just my two cents.

November 08 2006 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Just a normal person

Re: # 37 - Yeah Queer as Folk night have been worse; so what is your point? Here is mine - I didn't watch that show because of the gayness and I won't watch this one if it continues. And as far as it being acceptable .. there are those of us ( I think it is referred to the "moral majority") that don't find it acceptable and never will. Just like a that child screams loudly that they want something doesn't mean they will get things their way. Saying NO doesn't mean we don't like the child .. just that their behavior is not acceptable for the situation.

November 05 2006 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gail

For those opposed to the gay kissing you should have watched showtimes's quuer as folk-this is nothing compared to that!
TV is our biggest influencer and once something is acceptable on it, life in the real world will be more accepting of it.

November 04 2006 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Why does a person have to get over the gay thing? Are we supposed to be accepting of everything accept people of faith who find this behaviour unacceptable?

November 03 2006 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Babs

Oh gee....they are adding an extra "republican" as if that will make all the "republican bashing" in this show any less annoying. @@

November 03 2006 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liann

I have never been a fan of Rob Lowes. I really like Josh Hopkins alot...if they do have Kitty date Lowe's character I hope that Kitty and the Josh Hopkin's character get back together....I really like this show alot and think Sally Fields is doing a great job.

November 03 2006 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PR

Sally Field may be over the top at times, however, whose Mother isn't!!! I do see my mom - or maybe it is just me - in many of the things that character does. I will continue to watch. The most disappointing thing for me is that Tom Skerritt is no longer on the show. I would run away with him!!!

November 03 2006 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lara

Rob Lowe will make a GREAT addition to a stud-ly cast already! I've been a fan of his since early 80's! I am not a huge fan of Calista's but her character definately needs more passion, and Rob Lowe can help anyone with that! I love the show and look forward to it each week, now there is even a better reason to watch! Thank you ABC!!!

November 03 2006 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

anita and linda rae, your comments are cruel. be nice people and don't judge.

November 03 2006 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply