November 22, 2014

South Park: Go, God, Go! Part II

by Adam Finley, posted Nov 2nd 2006 11:16AM

garrison(S10E12)

Mrs. Garrison: Pound my monkey hole, Richard!

I figured Matt and Trey would at least lean toward the side of evolution in this episode, and they did, but it was really about how we tend to oversimplify things. Mr. Garrison reluctantly teaches evolution, telling the kids they're basically all "retarded fish squirrels," the product of a millenia's worth of inter-species butt sex. Later, author and atheist Richard Dawkins automatically turns Garrison into an atheist by telling him that a flying spaghetti monster is as likely to exist as God because you can't disprove either.

The episode later asks the question, if everyone were atheist, would that make the world any better? The answer seems to be no, because in the future different atheist sects will pop up and wage war on one another. Also, sea otters who threaten to crack open Eric's skull like a clam on their tummy.

I don't know if this is on par with Cartoon Wars, their last two-parter, but I want to see where Matt and Trey end up with this.

Favorite moments:

The nice little nod to The Shining when Cartman freezes himself.

The future atheists ironically turning atheism into a religion of its own, saying things like, "science damn you!" rather than "god damn you!"

hunter

my email is hunter.puterangi@students.whs.co.nz for the episodes theory

November 06 2006 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ara

The Dawkins bashing was lazy. Normally they satire a person by making a characature of their personality, but to have Dawkins do Mrs. Garrison is just mean and lazy. Anyone could be substituted for Dawkins here convincing Garrison to see the light over anything. The paradody sucked. Better to have Dawkins go to Hell. I was bummed out that they weren't more creative with spoofing him. It just seemed mean and not creative even if the later Atheist sects was inspired.

November 05 2006 at 2:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jax42

I think the main point they wanted to make about Richard Dawkins and the "root of all evil" ideas about god that many modern Athiests including myself have, were summed up in the date scene with Mrs. Garrison, when she converts instantly to Athiesm without a second thought and almost sarcastically repeats Dawkin s rhetoric about the spaghetti monster. They wanted to poke fun at the somewhat patronizing and insulting way that Dawkins goes about attempting to explin his views.

I think the "science damn you" etc. lines are meant to show Matt and Treys thoughts that religion is not the cause of war or the "root of all evil", but not neccisarily that Atheism would be the cause of war.

November 03 2006 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrienne

I think that the point everyone is missing is that every side of every issue is fair game. They show us how both sides of every issue is equally as lame as the other in a humorous way. I never expected them to go more on the side of evolution, nor do I expect them to do so in the next episode. What makes South Park so great is that it makes fun of EVERYTHING! Nothing is sacred.

November 03 2006 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Just curious, but when (and how) do you think Matt and Trey are going to tackle the issue of a Mel Gibson doing his drunken rant? Will the SP Gibson go off on Jews? Women? Police? People with the letter 'R' in their names? Or all of the above?

Another SP episode I'd like to see is one that references the current trend of audience members at Barbara Streisand concerts objecting to her forcing her political views on them by ridiculing a GW Bush impersonator. I'm thinking along two lines, either Streisand tries to take out the heckler with an AK-47 and kills Kenny by mistake, or she is arrested for not allowing equal time for opposing political views and ends up sharing a jail cell with John Kerry (who has just been determined to be too uneducated, and has volunteered for Leavenworth instead of being sent to Iraq).

November 03 2006 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
natalie

i love this show, as issues come up in the world, they make it simple and funny, something we all need, like ive said before, a show doesnt have to be perfect, i mean, jesus, your ripping this show apart like its meant to be serous.

November 03 2006 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
swine59238

er..holier-than-thou, actually. Not sure if holier than through means anything.

November 02 2006 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
swine59238

Why do people not yet realize that south park is "dumb and cliched"? Seriously, atheism is a religion? Evolution and religion can coexist? Wheeee....real revolutionary ideas there. I don't know anyone that didn't stumble upon these nugs of wisdom sometime around eigth grade. Why must people pretend that South Park is somehow cutting edge satire when it is dependent on generic bodily function humor and a pseudo-philosophic-holier-than-though attitude that we were supposed to outgrow in high school? The show has just gotten insufferable.

November 02 2006 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

>>I do think they were making fun of that stupid spaghetti monster god thing that is popular on the Internet. It is so dumb and cliche.

I think that's kinda the point the thing is trying to prove. Why do people not call God "so dumb & cliché"?

November 02 2006 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mklopez

So, in a single episode they combined the Nintendo Wii, Evolutionism vs Creationism, Buck Rogers, the Shining, Spagetti monster AND a little reference to Battlestar Galactica! I loved this!

November 02 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply