September 16, 2014

Why did a certain character get killed off Lost?

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 2nd 2006 2:00PM
lostI don't want to ruin it for you guys who haven't had a chance to see last night's episode of Lost. After all, it hasn't even been 24 hours since the show aired.

Let's just say that someone dies and there are conflicting reports all over the internet today about why that certain someone was written off the show.

Warning: *SPOILERS* from last night's episode are after the jump.As I mentioned, there are conflicting reports today about why Mr. Eko, played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, was killed off in last night's episode, "The Cost of Living".

USA Today's website claims that AAA asked to be written off the show after losing both of his parents last year. The paper says he wanted to return home to London to direct a movie about his life. It also quotes Elizabeth Mitchell, who plays Juliet, as saying, "We got along really well. He's about to direct his first movie about his life, which is an incredible story. He will be missed."

TV Guide's Aussiello, however, disagrees with that report. His interview with producers Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse revealed a different reason about AAA's departure. They say that AAA never wanted to be on the show long-term, just like Michelle Rodriguez, who played Ana Lucia last season. Cuse says, "When Adewale came on the show, he didn't want to make a long-term commitment to a series. We love him and so we agreed that he would come on the show and then we would find a time in which his arc would come to an end." Sounds believable, except...

...The next issue of TV Guide has a juicy report about AAA's behavior on the set. Multiple sources tell the magazine that he's become increasingly hard to work with, "refusing to film scenes as scripted, insisting on rewrites and even demanding several times to be released from his contract." When Aussiello asked the producers about that report, they avoided the question. Hmmmmm...

[Thanks for the assist, Brett!]

Jordan

Ya, I can't believe Eko is gone. Frak! He was awesome, especially with his Jesus stick. He was one of my favorite characters too. Actually I posted a video clip of his last moments on my blog at:

Just FYI.

November 06 2006 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

Another Lost traffic violation heralding a loss of a character.

It's what, 3 for 3 right now?

Almost makes you wonder....

November 05 2006 at 5:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BTD Greg

It seems to me that none of these theories are mutually exclusive. They could all be true.

November 03 2006 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Thank you very much for not including the spoiler in the headline & early paragraphs! I didn't get to "Lost" on my TiVo until tonight, and I was dreading getting spoiled all day today. Thanks for doing it right and being considerate of readers who didn't watch the show live. You guys get a lot of complaints about this stuff, so I wanted to pass on a grateful thank-you.

November 02 2006 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

I loved Eko. I thought his exit episode, while strong, was weak in the fact that it was the only ep. this season to feature him. Sure, he showed up in the last minutes the week before. But after such a prominent role in season 2, I expected more from Lindeloff and Cuse in "offing" him. He was an EXTREMELY popular character. He should have had at least a couple more eps. before departing the show. He will be missed.

November 02 2006 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael C

Entertainment Week, stated that he had a religious experience on set and saw GOD and decided to leave the show to join an African Monastery and build churches for the poor.

He shall be missed!!!!

November 02 2006 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Fuck, thanks for reminding me about Libbey. What the hell was going on with her being in the hospital with Hurley!! Damn!

November 02 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
josue salazar

Eko was one of my fave chars.

November 02 2006 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick R

That's really too bad. He was easily one of my favourite characters on the show. One of the most interesting, anyway.

November 02 2006 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brandy

AAA was suppsoed to be on Live With Regis and Kelly this morning. I haven't watched my recording yet to see what he had to say about his departure. Did anyone catch it?

November 02 2006 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply