December 22, 2014

Supernatural: No Exit

by Brett Love, posted Nov 3rd 2006 12:30PM
Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles(S02E06) Well, that didn't take long. Last week I mentioned that I would like to see Jo out of the ROADHOUSE and on a hunt soon. And this week, that is just what we got. Sam and Dean walked in on a fight between Jo and Ellen only to find that Jo going on a hunt is the reason behind it. The boys took Ellen's side, leaving Jo behind. When Jo showed up to investigate the case anyway, things got interesting.

There was a nice scene with Jo and Dean where he explained why she shouldn't be hunting. It isn't just because they don't want to cross her mother. Dean thinks that she's better than this. That she should be taking advantage of her options and going to school. More than anything, I think Dean just wants to protect her because he hates the thought of being responsible for anything happening to her. That's all beside the point anyway, was Jo is having none of it.

That's where the first problem with having Jo on the hunt came in. Sam pretty much disappeared. The writers should be careful about that because the show is built on the relationship between Dean and Sam. Relegating one of them to investigating, or getting coffee, off screen while a new character takes the lead is a good way to garner ill will from fans. I think there is room on the team for a third, and I really like Alona Tal's performance, but it can be handled better than it was tonight.

For what little we did get to see of Sam, he played an important role. He picked up on Herman Webster Mudgett being the real name of H. H. Holmes right away. I thought that part of the show worked well. The original serial killer makes for a good spirit villain. And the whole angle of hidden rooms and passageways inside the walls was very creepy. Things looked great, as usual, and they even managed a few good scares.

Unfortunately, the way it played out didn't really work for me. Why did they have to make Jo the damsel in distress that Sam and Dean have to save? I would have much preferred to see her be the one to save the day. Having Jo display a great natural ability for hunting would have made the conflict between her and Dean, and between her and Ellen much more interesting. As they left things, it just makes it easier for the boys to not bring her in for another hunt.

Of course, I don't think we will be seeing that again any time soon anyway. Since Ellen was introduced there have been all of these hints at her past with John. I was worried that they were going to keep dragging it out for most of the season. When they cut away from her just as she was about to tell Jo about John I was sure that we were going to be left hanging again. Not so much. The big reveal that Ellen blames John for the death of her husband was not what I was expecting at all. I guess we can put to rest any ideas about John being Jo's father now.

That probably puts the ROADHOUSE crew on the back burner for a while. It is interesting how the mystery of John continues to drive so much of the show though. Overall, it was a good episode. Good villain, resolution to the John/Ellen intrigue, and development of the Dean/Jo relationship. Not their best, but they can't all be perfect.

Funny exchange of the night
Sam: What's in Los Angeles?
Dean: Young girl's been kidnapped by an evil cult.
Sam: Girl got a name?
Dean: Katie Holmes

Oh yeah, one more thing. Next week... Linda freaking Blair! Perfect!

Merideth

I'm actually tremendous proponent of Jo, though I do think that her character needs to develop if a romance will eventually develop between she and Dean. In this episode her character often came across as immature. She shares Dean's sarcastic sense of humor, and we do see her maturity at times, but the majority of "No Exit" Jo displayed an extreme over confidence of herself as a hunter that was not at all becoming. If she is ever going to work as a romantic interest with Dean she needs to accept that though she may have read all the books and be trained in shooting and street fighting, she is still an amateur and needs experience.

The writers can either track this journey well, while keeping it in the background, or they can bomb it. Ellen needs to learn to let Jo go. Jo is 21, an adult, and Ellen must remember that she can't order her daughter what to do with her life anymore, no matter how worried she is. Likewise, Jo must find a balance between respecting her mother and pursuing her dreams of being a hunter, while remembering that she IS an amateur and needs to listen to the professional hunters. Kripke and co. can subtly show that character journey without taking the focus off of the boys and the story at hand. If they do, they'll have created some very believable characters with a lot of depth, and Jo will develop into someone I can definitely see Dean with.

Considering her appearance, while yes, the pretty thin blonde has been used several times before, I am actually all for it for Dean. This is because I am struck by how much Jo resembles Mary. I can see it in her hair, her skin tone, even the expression in her eyes. Science has shown that men tend to be attracted to women who remind them of their mothers, whether the resemblance be physical or in their characteristics. We all know that Dean values family very highly, and that though he barely remembers his mother, what few memories he does have he maintains with great love and respect. I think it only fitting, therefore, that the woman who would become Dean's love interest resembles his mother.

December 20 2006 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

See I'll have to completely disagree with Irish. Because the death of a parent connection is one of the things that I felt was forced between them. As though they were desperate to show the audience that Dean and Jo could bond so they not only gave them both daddy issues but also made their personalities way too similar. Sorry but I'm not interested in watching a female Dean when the male Dean we have is perfectly fine. Plus I get more of a little sister/big brother vibe from them and can't see the romantic possiblity at all so I'm hoping Kripke does end up dropping it. You might have been joking but I have no interest in watching "double dating hunting" either. I don't see the need to add romance or love interest arcs anyway. If I wanted to watch that kind of thing I'd tune into The OC or Grey's Anatomy. Why can't we have a show that doesn't add in the predictable romance?

November 14 2006 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yvonne Pagan

I agree about the lack of chemistry between Dean and Jo. The bickering kind of reminds me of a brother and sister thing, not so much a relationship thing. I think in fact, she looks a little too young for Dean. Is it only me, or does she not remind you of Lecy Goranson from "Roseanne" (the original Becky)?
Why can't they put a strong brunette to face off against him (and I am not saying this because I myself am a brunette and a huge fan of Jensen Ackles (as is my brunette sister))?
The storyline overall was a good one although they needed more of Sam in it.
Looking forward to next week..Jason Gedrick and Linda Blair? Can it get any better than that?

November 07 2006 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lily Gilkerson

This was the first episode of the season I felt was very subpar. Expecting an episode about HH Holmes and his history, I was extremely disappointed. I understand that Jared was in a great deal of pain because a real cast was finally put on, but this episode really demonstrated that removing the brotherly dynamic is damaging. Sam was almost an afterthought and Jensen had to work too hard to try and manufacture nonexistent chemistry with Alona Tal. She's very generic. Pretty blond who banters with main character but oh gosh does he really like her? Very predictable and very beneath Supernatural. I didn't dislike Jo, rather I found her deathly dull and a bit on the annoying side. Who takes the time to wash and style their luxurious Prell hair when they're chasing a dead serial killer? Tie it back, would you? If we don't see the character again it's no great loss. Ackles' performance really suffered trying to pick up the slack this episode. I don't object to romance, but I was far too spoiled by Ackles' magnificent chemistry with Julie Benz last season. He even comes alive in scenes with Samantha Ferris, who plays Jo's mother. With Alona, no spark at all.

As for the monster of the week, a few moments of creep but HH just wasn't that scary. America's first serial killer cowed by a little rock salt? Defeated that easily? What a complete let down. Shame on you, Supernatural. I had three friends over to sample the show for the first time and all three of them left before the hour was over, saying that--
1.)Ackles is overrated
2.)The show isn't scary
3) The blonde chickie is annoying.

Definitely this season's "Bugs."

November 07 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Irish

Personally I see the chemistry both while Dean and Jo are arguing and while they're not. They both have a connection to each other that the death of a parent can cause. That realism. The slowness of the pairing is very realistic as well. I just hope Eric Kripke goes with it like was originally planned.

The absence of Sam for whatever reason shouldn't have happened, given, because the show itself is about the brothers' dynamics with each other, not with everyone else around them as much, though I wouldn't be against bringing Sarah Blake back as a regular, that way it'd be like double date hunting. lol. Can you imagine the hilarity of that situation?!

I was actually surprised that I was surprised at the outcome of the John/Ellen thing. Though I knew that he wasn't Jo's father (spoiler whore that I am), I should have known to expect something like that because John is the anti-hero. It all makes sense.

November 06 2006 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana

Actually, Eric Kripke's said that the Dean/Jo thing might not get written, after all, given the fans' reaction to Jo. Also, the reason Jared Padalecki was absent for so much of this episode was that he spent "Simon Said" in a wrist brace, but he got the actual cast on while they were filming this one. He had to take time off for everything associated with that.

November 06 2006 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Missy

I have to agree with Brian; I thought the wasn't much chemistry between Dean and Jo. I don't know if I don't care for the character of Jo or if the actress just doesn't fit character. I wasn't bored with the episode though. If they continue to place a third person over the two main characters I'm inclined to get upset. ;) Dean is my favorite character - he's more complex than Sam on an emotional level but that doesn't mean I want Sam's role in the whole scheme of things to be usurped.

November 05 2006 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I didn't really like Jo (or the actress) so this episode kind of bored me since she was pretty much the main lead this time around. I also felt like the connection between her and Dean was forced and I really hope they decide not to go there with a romance between them. I am looking forward to this next episode though.

November 05 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Creepy episode...those fingers coming through the grate were a nice touch.

What was the deal with Sam's cast? Did he break his arm in the brothers episode, or did I miss something??

November 04 2006 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

I know the whole Jo-Dean thing is heading towards a relationship ect. (wasnt that the main reason of her being written into the show?) But honestly i just don't see it. I think that those two have a much better chemistry when their arguing with each other rather than the whole love connection. I think it would be runing a good oppertunity to have them hook up since obviously the quips between each other - which worked well tonight - seem to happen naturaly. I also agree about the whole exclusion of Sam. After all they are still the two main characters!

Otherwise a good episode.

November 03 2006 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply