April 18, 2014

Chris Rock files for divorce

by Richard Keller, posted Nov 4th 2006 8:00AM

Chris Rock Files for DivorceNo, this is not a setup for one of the comedian's stand-up routines. It seems that, after 10 years of marriage, Chris Rock has begun divorce proceedings against his wife Malaak Compton-Rock (Hey, they have the same last name. How weird.). According to TMZ the former Saturday Night Live cast member has hired a high-powered divorce attorney to represent him.

The couple married in 1996 and have two daughters, a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old. Malaak is the founder of StyleWORKS; a non-profit, full-service salon that provides free services for women leaving welfare and entering the workforce.

On marriage, Rock once said that it was beautiful, but your individual self died if you were a man. To quote Rock "I'm happier than I've ever been now that I've shot myself in the head." I'm guessing that the gunshot was starting to cause him a bit of pain.

Ironically Rock, who had no comment about the divorce at this time, is in post-production for the film I Think I Love My Wife.

conrad

I thought chris rock said to recycle the pussy and turn old poon into new poon. Heard it all now

November 28 2006 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie Ruiz

Marriage is hard work. You must work on it everyday. It is easier to get divorced than stay together and work it out. Marriage isn't like a pair of shoes that you toss when you don't want them anymore.

November 28 2006 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Timothy

Who said it was bad for the kids that they got a divorce? The day my parents got a divorce was one of the happiest days of my life. Kids bounce back from things like this. I would much rather be on my own; then listen to my father slobber all over himself as my mother fired palte after plate at the fireplace from the kitchen; and this is all because, "They tried to work it out." To heck with that; no kid wants to live with two unhappy parents. Once my parents got away from each other; life got much better for everyone. Go get divorced, Chris, don't be miserable for the "sake of the kids," because the kids don't care as much as you think!

November 28 2006 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frances Mckinney

It is very unfortunate that this couple can't work things out and the children are the ones who suffer in divorce, but they also suffer when the parents don't love one another and continue to live in the same home. As long as the children know and are assured that their parents love them they will adjust in due time. They don't have to be torn between the two adults. Let them handle their own adult problems and hopefully be mature enough to at least like each other.

November 28 2006 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rj

Chris Rock has one of my favorite lines from any comedy routine - "You're either single and lonely, or married and miserable." Based on the singles and couples I know, I think Chris is right about that 90% of the time. If so, Chris can look forward to "single and lonely" real soon.

November 28 2006 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

This divorce news is unfortunate,and sad that someone like Chris who probaby keeps you laughing couldn't work it out.

November 28 2006 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angel

This seems to be the new trend in hollywood! DIVORCE LOVE'EM AND LEAVE'EM."

November 28 2006 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex

Reminds me of a show this past weekend by Suze Oman.
Her solution to every woman who called in and had qualms with her Husband and their financial life was DIVORCE.
The Ugly head of Divorce is ruining the Children of America.
When you marry someone, at least, if you did it for real love, (which is an oxymoron) in today's American society, you should be ready for bad times.
It gets even more obligatory when you have Children.
This Socirty of ours' needs collective, intense psychotherapy.
Divorce has become so hip, that married couples are begining to look ridiculous.
Where do we go from here?

November 28 2006 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.J.

Yeah it sucks to get divorced but children don't always lose. If my parents had stayed together just for the mere fact they created me my life would have been a living ____. Thanks. So Chris you gotta do what you gotta. It doesn't mean you love your kids any less it just means you love them more.

November 28 2006 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Everytime a marriage breaks up its sad. You don't get married to get divorced. Too bad couples can't stay together and work it out. They have children. It would have been worth it to try. Now the children will be torn between the two people they love the most. Children are the ones who always lose in divorce.

November 28 2006 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply