October 22, 2014

Dexter: Return to Sender

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 5th 2006 11:02PM

Dexter(S01E06) Dexter did it again. Wowed me. Amazed me. Edge of my seat for the whole hour. Thank god Showtime already gave it a second season. Smart move.

Well it had to happen, because thus far things have been going way too smoothly for Dexter. The sh*t has finally hit the fan. Following Dexter's abrupt decision to also kill the smuggler's wife in last week's episode, we find out that the Ice Truck Killer is even more resourceful than we could have ever imagined.

Summoned to his own crime scene, Dexter is shocked to walk into the run-down trailer to find the body of the wife that he dumped in the ocean just hours earlier. That means the ITK had to dive down over a hundred feet to recover the corpse. Now there are certain levels of screwin' with people. Me? I'm a big fan of putting plastic wrap on the toilet seat. But this? This takes dedication.

This set up an interesting conundrum for Dexter. He was forced into a position where he had to save himself. But to do so, he had to tamper with the evidence and that's something Dexter would never do. It's against the Code of Harry. But Dex was being tested and initially I thought he wouldn't bend in that direction, that the evidence would be inconclusive. But then the little Cuban boy came forward, and then Masouka got trace to ID the sedative used on the wife -- Dexter's sedative. As Dex put it, the noose was tightening. So he framed the husband who was still sitting at the bottom of the sea. Case closed.

I suppose Dexter's choice was the only one that made sense though. He's not the type of person who's going to just sit still and be hauled off to prison. I think we as viewers always knew that, but this is the first time Dex was confronted with that truth and he accepted it. This was a new feeling for him though. He doubts himself, worries about what he did. That's certainly not who Dexter is.

I loved how Deb's profile of a potential copy-cat killer was an exact (and I mean exact) profile of her brother. I predicated way back in the beginning that either Deb or Rita would be the first to find out who Dex really is and it seems like Deb is winning. She already seems to hold this sort of unspoken, but maintained, animosity for her foster brother. What happens when she realizes what he is?

Speaking of Rita, I think she might officially be the first thing about this show that I don't care for. I love the stuff between her and Dexter, but her backstory? I just don't care about her and the whole ex-husband story. Maybe there's more to it, but right now? Doesn't grab me.

Back to Deb. Anyone else think there's a bit of flirtation going on between her and Doakes? He protects her at crime scenes, he's overly harsh when he doesn't need to be. He even brought her home to have dinner with his family. The guy acts like a total hard-ass, but I think Deb might be cracking that shell. It could be a tough transition for him since the last woman he was involved with got murdered.

Absolute favorite part of the episode? It was quick, but did anyone else catch the alias Dexter used to obtain the medical grade sedatives he uses on all his victims? Patrick Bateman! Anyone? Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho. Very nice touch, love it.

Best quote?

Dexter (to himself, in response to Masouka running a toxin trace): "That's it, no more donuts for Masouka."

Stevie

i'd be a bit disturbed if dexter did kill rita's ex - he's not a serial killer! the whole point is he only kills serial killers.

November 17 2006 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dolores Rosario

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE DEXTER! Definitely THE BEST new show this season and THE BEST show on tv or cable! My roommate and I wait all week for it and on Sunday mornings we just look at each other and whisper, "Dexter". Don't even think about taking this show off the air or preempting it for ANYTHING else! The only problem we have with it is that you have several times cut the show short by 10 minutes. AAAARGGH!!!!!!!! An hour is too short as it is and then you cut it off at 10:50. Not fair! Not fair! We need our full hour fix of Dexter! I ask everybody I come in contact with, "Have you seen Dexter?" I've got people signing up for Showtime just to see it. So please, stop cutting it short!

November 12 2006 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suz

I figured out who Dexter's special friend is: It is the prosthetics guy who is now seeing the sister!

November 12 2006 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

So no one has realised that Dexter will kill Rita`s ex?
Or that she will probably find out and even be a part of it? That is considering her new found "strength" in dealing with her ex and that she is totally in love with Dexter and would probably do anything for him. It might even be a release for her considering what she`s been through.

November 09 2006 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marco Garbelini

Am I the only one that thinks Dexter seems to lying to himself sometimes when he narrates? He says he is totally empty but I believe he is not, he never was. He seems to feel that too and repeats this "I'm empty" mantra to keep cool and everything under control. The situation with the ITK and Rita are both pealing away some protective layers from Dexter's persona. I think we're gonna see Dexter freaking out in the future. It's gonna be great!

November 09 2006 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marco Garbelini

My favorite line:

Angel: Personally, I'd shake this guy's hand.
Dexter: Yea, you say that now!

Dexter's face was priceless.

November 09 2006 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treegoat

The Rita storyline is annoying but necessary for us to see some more of Dexter's angst. Seeing him play with a kid is an incongruity with the rest of the show so it just makes those tender moments just plain awkward. That being said - the previews looked to me like the ex may be on deck for the next killing.

The Masouka donut line made me laugh too...this show is just stellar. Thankfully Showtime is giving it another season!

November 08 2006 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

simply the best new show this year.

November 08 2006 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hill

Could Deb be the ITK?

November 08 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie-Lynn

I'm so reading the book. The story so far has been sooo addictive. I just don't want to read it too soon and then ruin any surprises for the rest of the season.

November 08 2006 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply