October 31, 2014

TV's one hit wonders

by Brett Love, posted Nov 5th 2006 10:58AM
Caroline Dhavernas - WonderfallsThe A.V. Club has a list up on their site featuring 15 "lamentably lost" TV shows that only made it one season or less. As with anything where you start listing things, there are going to be omissions. And probably more glaring, there will be inclusions that make you scratch your head and say, 'Wha-huh?" Overall, I like their list. It has the usual suspects that I would have expected with Firefly, Freaks and Geeks, and Now and Again. They also included a couple that I don't think get enough press with That's My Bush and Cupid. Really, the more press that Cupid can get the better, because it really deserves a DVD release.

The wha-huh inclusion for me though, Cop Rock. It was an original concept, sure, but "lamentably" implies that you feel some kind of sorrow that it's gone. I think 11 episodes was more than anyone needed to get full and complete closure with Cop Rock. As far as omissions, the shows that come to mind right away for me are Going To California, Keen Eddie, Maximum Bob, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., and Wonderfalls. Going To California remains my number one most wanted DVD set, and Maximum Bob is in the top five. I'm curious to hear what other people view as the ones that got away.

David

Recent shows that come to mind:
John Doe
Odyssey 5
Surface

November 08 2006 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AR

I forgot to mention "Dark Skies". This was a great sci-fi show from the 1996-97 season that starred Eric Close and Megan Ward. It was about a government consipracy to cover up an alien invasion, that mixed actual footage from the 60's with the show.

November 08 2006 at 8:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big D

Adding two:
Brimstone
Cover Me

November 07 2006 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

ditto for "do Over",man i loved that show so much but also knew it was not going to last, it was just to good.

and i think i must add two other series i would have liked to last way more than they did:

Dead Last (a touring rock bad that could and messed with ghosts) it was like a updated scooby doo for me.

And Parker Lewis:"the winner"

Many don´t know how much some of Bart simpson antics owe to parker lewis.

And if we goo way back, i would need to say sledge hammer and Max Headroom, but those are in dvd.

and right now the show i like the most that could get cancelled at any moment would be My Name Is Earl.

November 06 2006 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I miss the Famous Teddy Z, and there was a show recently about the airline industry where the guy was the youngest one in the company, can't remember the name but it was hysterical.

November 06 2006 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leto2

Word to everyone who said "EZ Streets". It was "The Sopranos" before "The Sopranos"... It even had Ralphie / Joe Pantoliano. Unfortunately, it was on the wrong network.

And don't forget "Profit" !

November 06 2006 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kel

Starved
Invasion
Eyes
John Doe

November 06 2006 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian Sampson

EZ streets for mind was one of the best show's I only ever saw a few episodes of here in Australia, but some others I remember I'd love to see again on DVD are Strange Luck, Crusade (spin off from Babylon 5) and Cupid. Nowhere Man and American Gothic were great and are now on DVD, which I own :-) Boomtown was another that was different and very compelling watching.

November 06 2006 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUSIE

and I second Cupid.

November 06 2006 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUSIE

Boomtown, In Justice and a show that was on NBC at 10:00 pm on, I believe, a Saturday night. It was about the fashion industry. Can't remember the name.

November 06 2006 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply