September 22, 2014

Family Guy: Saving Private Brian

by Brett Love, posted Nov 6th 2006 10:35AM
Stewie - Family Guy(S05E04) The ARMY, awwwww yeah. Finally, baseball is over and it can quit interfering with our television programs. It's been so long since a new Family Guy that this almost felt like a season premiere. The wait was worth it though, as they delivered the best episode of the young fifth season.

That was probably due in part to giving Stewie and Brian a big adventure. I always prefer their stories to those involving Peter. It's tricky with Peter. I think less is more. When they use Peter extensively, he can be grating. Tonight was just right. The Full Metal Jacket/Stripes angle for Stewie and Brian was great, right down to the Stripes music during the obstacle course. And Louis Gossett Jr. as Sergeant Angryman is a nice bit of casting.

Stewie, Brian - Family GuyStewie is continuing down his strange gay road, inviting the gay soldier to join him and Brian, but as long as he's packing heat and shooting things, that's ok. The timing of that shooting was perfect. Just as I was thinking "the vaudeville guys again?" he mowed them down. We'll have to wait and see if they were serious when he said we won't be seeing them again. Here's hoping we don't, and that the guy in the chicken suit is next on the list. I also liked the lack of a gag gag. "Oop, no clip? Thought we had a clip." And it is comforting to know that when democracy kicks in we get bikini car washes. Everybody get out and vote.

The story with Chirs' band, Splashlog(?), had its moments as well. Insane Mickey Rooney was stupid, but stupid in the really funny way. Pooping in the chimney? Peter on the couch with Dr. Katz was a fun bit, as was the Madonna "posse" gag. The only part of the story I thought fell a little flat was Marylin Manson. I liked the setup, and his talk with Chris was funny, when it started, but it went on too long. It was like, they told the joke, we laughed at the joke, why are they still telling the joke? A minor complaint for an otherwise solid episode.

Peter, Dr. Katz - Family GuyThe Meg situation is a bit curious. I'm beginning to think that Peter's hatred of her is a reflection of the writers. It's as if they just have no idea what to do with her anymore. If they're out of actual stories, I'm ok with killing her off. It could make for a nice Lost spoof, or a "very special Blossom" parody. I mean, they had time for a Zinedine Zidane reference, but couldn't find anything for Mag? Although, the fact that Family Guy takes the time for a Zinedine Zidane reference is one of the things I love about the show.

Did everybody stick around to see Seth on The War At Home? I thought he did a nice job. He's not a bad actor at all, but it is strange to actually see him while hearing Brian's voice. Finally, as a head's up, there is supposed to be some kind of a Family Guy parody/spoof/skit on MadTV this week.

Bus

I disagree and laugh like an idiot every time I see the vaudeville guys. To each their own, and I think it's hilarious as the guy pounds on the piano with his stupid smile.

November 07 2006 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

That's a fair point Katie, but I'll go ahead and defend a couple of those. On Zidane, I think they were just screwed by the calendar. They weren't showing new episodes at the time, so they couldn't have got it in early either way. Given production/airdate schedules, they probably wrote it in a timely manner. Dr. Katz I think could fall more into the classic cartoon reference category. But Marilyn Manson, I'll agree with you. I'm sure the kids are getting their bad intentions from a more culturally relevant band these days.

November 06 2006 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I thought the episode was hilarious. But for a show that hits current pop culture so hard, the jokes were old. Zinedine Zidane? Months ago. Marylin Manson? Like 5 years ago. Dr. Katz? 10 years ago. It was like a time warp.

November 06 2006 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shannon

Duh, I dont watch that show (The War at Home) and totally misunderstood...sorry!

November 06 2006 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

he's referring to Seth MacFarlane the shows creator and voice of Brian, not Seth Green who does Chris

November 06 2006 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I thought that Family Guy had been slipping for the past year, but what an episode this was. Hilarious from start to finish.

Not only was this episode was funny but the American Dad episode wasn't bad either.

And I did catch McFarlane on The War At Home. God that show is awful. Never should I make that mistake again.

November 06 2006 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Love

You are correct Shannon. I was referring to Seth MacFarlane, Family Guy's creator. He does the voice of Brian, among others, and guest starred on The War At Home last night. Sorry about the confusion.

November 06 2006 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shannon

I thought Seth Green did Chris' voice, not Brian's

November 06 2006 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I agree. This episode was defintely leaps and bounds better than the rest of this new season.

November 06 2006 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

It was a funny episode. It's nice to have them back.

November 06 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply