December 20, 2014

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia gets a third season

by Julia Ward, posted Nov 7th 2006 2:28PM
It's Always Sunny in PhiladelphiaOne of the few half-hour comedies to hear any good news these days is FX's It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which was just picked up for a third season by the network. Danny Devito has also committed to appear as a series regular for all subsequent seasons. Sunny's third season will consist of 15 new episodes. That's five more than the second, and eight more than the first.

Sunny's pick-up is big news in the television industry for reasons that have nothing to do with Devito, FX's fan base or the reputation of barkeeps in Philly. Sunny is one of basic, ad-supported cable's biggest sitcom successes ever, and its pilot episode is the stuff of industry legend. The episode was shot on a digital camcorder and distributed for amounts that have been said to range from $85-$400. That pilot, which picked up steam via the internet, resulted in the show's creators Charlie Day, Rob McElhenney and Glenn Howerton receiving $400,000 from FX to shoot a first season.

The question for many TV comedy writers out there is whether this could be the new way comedy is brought to television - through internet word-of-mouth and basic cable - especially as network's turn more and more to unscripted reality shows and CSI-type procedurals to complete their line-ups. Scrubs and Nobody's Watching creator Bill Lawrence is fretting about the subject on TV Guide Online, and the New York Times reported a couple of weeks ago that United Talent Agency, along with several networks, have set-up offices just to cull the internet for new comedy talent. Sunny is a fun, irreverent show that deserves all kinds of success, but it is also the harbinger of change in an uncertain industry.

Melissa

I am VERY glad that "Sunny" was picked up for another season. My family, friends & most of my co-workers all have the same off-beat sense of humor, so we all tend to gather at a local bar to watch on Thursdays. It's also spawned "one liners" that will go down in history ("Is it bunchy in the back?", "I do good...!!", among MANY others). Also glad to see it happen to three very normal, very grounded guys. KUDOS.

January 07 2007 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

Cudos for the network to pick the show up for a third season.
But the network has to be careful now and not sway away from the original premis of the first season. By adding DeVito last seson which I think was a Good thing has to be fine tuned. HE DID NOT QUITE BLEND IN. There was to much arguing with his character and the orginal characters. The writing seemed to try and feature him instesd of around the entire screw ball plots that made the show popular. The writers should just have him blend in for now until his chaacter is fully formed and the audiance gets to know him. The arguing became anoying at times. (This is not TAXI.)I think their are a lot of people that will agree with me. Please post comments as to if I am right or wrong.
Good Luck for the third Season, I will be watching and I am sure it will be another successful enjoyable season.

January 05 2007 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Yes, will the DVD of the season 1 be out before Christmas!?!? I have several people I need to buy this for!! HHhheeeelllppp!!!

November 21 2006 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

i love always sunny. that show cracks me up. i am so glad they get another season. when can i buy the dvd's?

November 15 2006 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victoria

Great! Does anyone know if seasons 1 and 2 will be released on DVD?

November 14 2006 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maloney

hell yeah! I am not a TV person at all, but this show is fantastic. glad to see they kept it.

November 08 2006 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

I'm with everyone else on this one. Hooray Sunny! Danny DeVito- meh. I find the episodes that don't have him to be funnier. Nazi grandfathers beat out run-of-the-mill whore wives any day.

November 08 2006 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

woohoo! this is good news. Love this show.

November 08 2006 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ooda

Personally, I prefer the shows sans De Vito, but the word is that without his involvement (he was/is a fan of the show, and asked to guest), it wouldn't have been renewed for a second season.

All up there are something like 16 or 17 episodes, so as far as syndication goes, we have a good, ah, nine seasons or so to go.

Have they even released the season 1 DVD yet?

November 07 2006 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex Davis

100 episodes are necessary, but some shows like NewsRadio have snuck by with less, although I think Phili has far too less at this point. Phili is the best and funniest sitcom I have seen since NewsRadio and I truly hope it lives a long, full life. Man, 2007 comes new Family Guy, Futurama, and Phili. It'll be a great TV year.

November 07 2006 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply