September 18, 2014

Kidnapped DVD set coming in 2007?

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 7th 2006 3:27PM

Kidnapped

Kidnapped fans were upset when the show was canceled, but given 13 episodes to wrap up the plot. Then they were more upset when the show was taken off of Wednesday night and put on Saturday nights. And then they were absolutely ticked off when NBC pulled the show from Saturday nights because of low ratings (gee, low ratings on a Saturday night...what did they expect?). But now, fans can at least rejoice in the news that there might be a box DVD set of the show coming in 2007.

Broacasting & Cable says that while the show was a ratings disaster and a failure for the network, if they release a box set and just 1% of Kidnapped fans buy it, then it will be profitable. I'm sure a lot more than 1% of the fans will buy the set, especially if NBC doesn't burn off the remaining episodes of the show this winter or spring (or summer). Maybe the network will keep the rest of the episodes in the vault so the DVD sells better?

B&C also says that they have done the math and the studio (Sony) has actually already made their money back, from licensing fees, etc. I don't know how they figured this out, but then again I failed a couple of math courses in high school.

Maryanne

I really hope the DVD is released. I would definitely buy it. I was really into the show, and even started watching the remaining episodes online. But - I just don't enjoy the experience of sitting at a desk watching a tv show - it's not like relaxing on the sofa. So I missed the last few. I'd love to catch up, and would buy the whole set!

January 08 2007 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jody

I wish we didn't have to wait until 2007 to see the whole show and the outcome of this terrific series! Count me in for the sale on this show.

November 26 2006 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rose

Who is "they"? "They" didn't watch it. Who is doing the counting? Is it those Nielson folks? You know there is an entire country between the East and West Coast, and from what I gather they are the only ones asked for an opinion. I don't think those of us living between the coast lines are ever counted. Exspecially the ones living in the Western US States. There may not be a lot of us. But we know what we like and we know good story telling and acting and all these canceled shows are beginning to make some of us mad. Get us hooked on a story and then yah rip it away from us. Dang, maybe we should just hang yah all!!! Well at least just hang up any way. No more tuning into new shows cuz if the West Coast and East Coast isn't watching they will take them away from the rest of us. Dang, can'trust those executives who don't care what I think anymore. Wonder what would happen if all of us who are never asked what we are watching on TV just stop watching it altogether. Could be that maybe "they" that does the counting may notice. Waddayah think? Nah probably not.

November 20 2006 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolina

Kidnapped is AMAZING!! I can't wait for the DVDs to come out, but I really wish it would stay on T.V for more seasons!!!!

November 17 2006 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bridget hatch

Thanks for the extra information Jim. I enjoy this program as much as I like 24 - that says a lot. Why wait until 2007? How about a Christmas/Holiday release. Talk about a great stocking stuffer!

November 16 2006 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
savannah

The reason it had ratings trouble on Saturday was because of NBC failed to let the audience know about the change - they did zero promotion for the new day and time - I know because I watched constantly for over a week and half between episodes 3 & 4 waiting for that information. Lucky i was on the nbc.com Kidnapped board or I wouldn't have known either.

I will totally buy this DVD and I would pay good money for it too! Best show on television and woefully neglected by the network.

November 16 2006 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe in LA

Still think they should save it and burn it during the summer on USA or put it on at 3 in the morning on Bravo...

November 07 2006 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Why in the world would they offer Kidnapped on DVD when no one would even watch it on Wed or Saturday nights. No offense to all of you kidnapped fans but even you guys would agree that there are other shows that had higher ratings that are not getting a dvd release. I'm still waiting for Fox's Reunion or ABC's Relativity.

November 07 2006 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug D\'Antonio

You can catch the remaining episodes at NBC.com

November 07 2006 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

"Kidnapped" is a great example of the lack of forward thinking and long-term strategizing by network programmers. Let the show run for 13 episodes and build an audience. If it fails after the first half-season, cancel it. If it succeeds, you have quality, addictive serial programming.

We need more Jordan McDeeres and less Jeff Zuckers.

November 07 2006 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply