September 20, 2014

Jericho: Rogue River

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 8th 2006 9:09PM

Jericho - Hawkins(S01E08) A question for all you mothers and wives out there: if your husband was dying and needed medicine, would you send your only children out to the unknown, where they could be killed or lost or made sick? I would think that since you might lose your husband, you'd at least want one of your kids to stay behind. Maybe send out one of your sons and someone else from the town.

I ask this because Gail sends both Jake and Eric to Rogue River to get the medicine he needs or he'll die in 12 hours...

Meanwhile, Grey questions Hawkins about why he came to town and how an ex-cop was able to afford to buy a new home - in cash. Nice scene: lots of tension and everyone plastering on fake smiles. Gray doesn't trust Hawkins, and Hawkins is keeping a big secret.

Gail frets that not only do they not have medicine, she can't even cool Johnston's fever with ice. That's when Heather remembers an old school project, where she learned how to make ice using water, fertilizer and some chemicals. That's what this town needs, MacGyver! He'd be able to figure out how to make ice.

Jake and Eric make it to Rogue River, but it's completely deserted, with flyers saying the water supply is contaminated and FEMA markings on the wall (shades of Hurricane Katrina). Suddenly, shots ring out, and they have to take cover in the hospital. Inside, they find who was shooting: a veteran of the Iraq war who was hired with other mercenaries (Ravenwood) when the bombs dropped. A doctor is there too, trying to help whoever he can, and the man tells Jake and Eric that the governor might still be alive too. Just when the ask the doc for the meds, Ravenwood shows up in trucks. They are going to kill everyone and take supplies.

Back in Jericho, April tells Johnston she's pregnant with his grandchild. Allison accuses Gray of racism and isn't happy her dad is making her answer all of Gray's questions. Emily and Heather work together to make the ice.

The doc tells Jake and Eric that their dad is probably going to need an intravenous drug, which is in another part of the hospital. So they need a plan. Eric poses as the doc and announces himself to Ravenwood and offers to help their injured member. The soldier shoots at Ravenwood as Jake, Eric, and the doc escape in the car with the meds.

They make it back to town and give Johnstons the meds. Now they'll have to wait til morning to see if it works.

Solid little ep. At first I thought it was just going to be filler (they get out of town but only for a day, new characters are introduced for no reason, the plot not really advanced), but this actually had some revelations. Besides the fact that FEMA knows what's going on and the governor possibly being alive, and Gray and Jimmy find Hawkins' government ID (planted by Allison - Hawkins explains he was sent in undercover to find out who was making phone calls from a pay phone and money transfers in the Jericho area). Oh, and a new character, the doctor, is now in town.

At the end, Eric tells Jake he's in love with the bartender, and realizes that he left his jacket back in Rogue River. Ravenwood finds his wallet in the jacket, and they're coming to Jericho...

Trevor Rogers

Jake knows way too much about certain 'procedural' stuff to be your average 'civilian'. His passport being 'flagged' makes him a 'person-of-interest' as well, along with his weapons and tactics familiarity. His weapons-bearing body-language is not that of a civilian either. Hawkins...hmm. Is he or ain't he the genuine article? Gray sure dunno. Eric? Homer Simpson's smarter than he is.
D.B. Sweeny has to be more than a cameo.
As for the 'minor' errors... yep, they're there all right, but they don't detract from from the simple entertainment value of the show. What I hate most5 of all are the stinkin' million commercials!! Aagh! I suppose that's why they call it commercial TV. On with the show, please. I reckon the final episode will wanna be good!

November 14 2006 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Draco_Red

From the looks of it I was fairly sure that Hawkins wasn't really a FBI agent, especially when he was talking about how to tell if a badge was real or not. It just seemed like he was testing Anderson to see if he was buying it. When I checked the Wikipedia entry for this episode and saw that the Morse code for the episode read "ROB NOT FBI", that just confirmed it. All we know is that whoever he's with has access to a lot of resources, in order to counterfeit FBI credentials. It makes it seem more likely that he is in fact working with some government (whichever side he's on).

Anyone else interested to find out that Jake was a mercenary-sorry "Military Contractor" in Iraq? That would explain the Dog Tags and his training to an extent. But he said that he spent a year and a half in Iraq, which leaves three and a half years open. I'm going to have to look at his passport again (thank you Innertube!) to see if this can be confirmed.

November 11 2006 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Well I totally like this show. It brings lots of great things together. Just the idea of what would we all do if there was a nuclear bomb that went off? I know the reality of it is going to be hard to pull of on a show but who cares it is just a show you cannot expect everything to be perfect. Use your imagination and try and feel in the blanks or try to account for the discrepancies. Do any of us really know what we would do if we were in thier situation? I think that's why I like the show so much is because I don't know how I would react. Would you be selfish and care for only your immediate family or would you want to try and contribute to a community and friends? The whole idea is that we don't know what everyone is thinking or feeling. I read something last week that I thought was probably very accurate or at least I hope it is. Hawkins is part of a group trying to find out who was behind the bombs but because it was so wide spread it could not be stopped but only dealt with once it happened. Also you wonder what happens to the states that weren't affected. Apparently New york was not hit. Would they only protect thier own or would contribute thier forces to help the entire nation. I don't know there; are way too many questions and not enough answers. but that why I can't wait for the next episode, it just makes my mind race.

November 10 2006 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

Remember when mention was made last episode that the terrorists had to have inside help to pull off what they did? I think Hawkins (even if he is a federal agent) might just be the "inside help" that was referred to. I think the item behind the sealed wall could be perhaps a bomb that was set to go off but for some reason was not detonated (or maybe held back as part of some contingency plan). Also, remember when Hawkins daughter said that she knew he was one of the good guys, he had this weird look on his face, didn't answer her, and simply went into his locked room.

Also, we know that Jake is some kind of military (what about the dog tags he was wearing a few episodes back?).

November 09 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

I think the new doctor is Aasif Mandvi, from the Daily Show. Maybe this is why he isn't on TDS very often.

November 09 2006 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff smith

First off Bob is still writing this review and he's awful...misses important facts, has no idea what's goin on. How long until we get the town turn against the Middle Eastern doctor and have a mob scene?..I say next episode....and why would the brother take his wallet anyways???...oh I wish this concept was taken to HBO, Showtime or FX.

November 09 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

the governor that Ravenwood was to protect was clearly stated as the governor of Nebraska, and they were diverted to Kansas, or at least that's the story. Given that the leader of Ravenwood forces is D.B.Sweeney, who they aren't going to waste on too minor of a role, I'm guessing that the Ravenwood leaders have truly gone mercenary, since there's nobody left in Washington to give orders (or pay salaries). I'm guessing that they are looking to set up their own little fiefdom, and part of the long-term storyline is the devil you know (with James Remar's gang) versus the devil you don't know (D.B. Sweeney's gang).

November 09 2006 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
witchyvamp

Daniel it look BAD to us non-HD too. Very reminiscent of 70's car scenes.

November 09 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I don't have HD, but the car scenes looked bad to me too, especially on Eric's side.

November 09 2006 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

So as a HD viewer I have a request to the people who shoot this show, please remember to use HD video when you bluescreen a scene.... My roommate and I were watching Jake and Eric in the car and it looked dreadfull..... I mean I know that bluesceen shots looked bad but this looked BAD....

November 09 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply