August 30, 2014

Lost: I Do

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Nov 8th 2006 11:33PM

Jack and Kate(S03E06) Wow... where to begin. That was certainly an episode worthy of being called a mid-season finale. Good doesn't even begin to describe it. Definitely gives us plenty to talk about while we wait for the show to return in February for it's uninterrupted run though.

This episode focused on Kate's flashbacks and those have always been sort of 50-50 for me, but this one was great I thought. Even better than when she blew up her father. Of course I'm slightly biased because these flashbacks featured Nathan Fillion and the idea of having Mal Reynolds on Lost... it's making my head hurt. Fillion played Kate's husband (she was married!) Kevin. So I suppose rather than "what Kate did" you could call these flashbacks "who Kate did."

So yeah, Kate tied the knot. Kevin was a local cop. They lived in Miami (it was on Kevin's police cruiser and he had a Heat shirt on) and Kate made tacos once a week. That is until she had a conversation with good ol' Federal Marshal Morris. He told her what she knew anyway. Kate can't settle down. So she apologized to her hubby, but not before she drugged him. Then she took the Oceanic Airlines tickets Kevin had bought for their Costa Rican honeymoon and Kate traded them in for a one-way to Australia. I think that's one of my favorite things in this show: finding out the circumstances that landed each character in Australia in the first place. So that was the gist of the flashbacks. It was nothing mind-blowing, but I still liked them a lot.

Back to the island. First off, let's talk about the romance between Kate and Sawyer. I've always been a "Jack and Kate" man myself. When I saw the previews for this episode, I wasn't pleased. But now that Kate and Sawyer have done the dance (he tapped her on the fish biscuit machine!), I'm OK with it. In fact, I was really satisfied with the whole scene and I think it worked. Part of it was certainly the tension that existed. Would they have been ripping each others clothes off if Sawyer's life wasn't on the line? I doubt it.

I found it odd that Ben let the sex slide though... at first. But if you think about the chain of events, it was all one big manipulation. When Juliet first brought in Kate to try and convince Jack to perform the surgery, Kate broke down when she told Jack that Sawyer would be killed if he didn't operate. Ben saw all this. He had that smart-ass smirk and it was clear to him that Kate loved Sawyer and that Jack loved Kate. So he used it to his advantage. He let the sexual encounter go on with no resistance and he made damn sure that Jack saw it on those monitors. Seeing the girl you want with another man is reason to get off an island and the key for Jack to get out? The operation. Too bad Ben's little plan backfired after he was already knocked out on the table.

Jack started the spinal surgery like normal, but once he had the opportunity, he sliced open Ben's kidney sac. Jack gives Pickett and Tom an ultimatum. Ben will die in one hour unless Kate is given the opportunity to run. Two things aren't factored in to this plan for Jack though. One? She ain't going to leave without Sawyer and Mr. Ford is temporarily out of commission since Pickett has a gun held at his head. Two? Kate now knows what Sawyer knows -- they're on a different island. There is no where to run.

So Jack's plan is a teensy bit flawed, but he doesn't know that. I loved what he asked of Kate though. Once she's free, contact him in an hour with Pickett's walkie-talkie. Jack wants to hear the story he told Kate on the very first day after the plane crash, while she stitched up the wound on his back. If he hears that story, he'll know she's safe. Remember that story? Jack talked about his first solo surgery. It was a spinal surgery on a teenage girl and right at the end of the op, Jack accidentally nicked her spinal sac. Nerve endings came pouring out and the fear washed over Jack -- but he only let it affect him for five seconds and then he fixed his mistake.

This was a pretty relevant story here I think. At this point, Jack has no fear - that's why he did what he did. If Ben dies then so be it. The question that we won't get until February is whether or not Kate takes Jack's advice in that story because the last shot of her face had Kate looking 100% terrified. With good reason I suppose. The man she loves is being held at gunpoint.

So that's big question number one: will Ben live and how will Jack, Kate, and Sawyer make out as a result of Jack's plan? But there are a few other questions. A ton of commenters have had the right idea about Eko's prayer stick and they were absolutely right. Locke found the sign he was looking for when he read this off of Eko's stick during the late priest's burial: "Lift up your eyes and look north." So what the heck is Locke going to find? Any ideas?

Can't forget Alex either. She was back with her slingshot again, trying to free Sawyer and Kate. But she was blabbering about wanting to see Ben and how her boyfriend was killed. Have we heard anything about a deceased boyfriend before? What's the deal with that? Is it someone we've met before in a flashback maybe? Plus Ben asked about her before he went under the knife and Juliet said they merely brought Alex home following the incident. Home?!? Where's Alex's home?

Too many questions but we've got all the time in the world to ponder them. Lost returns on February 7.

Jo

im still confused... maybe i'll understand better once it comes to the UK lol
i saw the previews for this ep your all on about though and was not impressed! Jack and Kate all the way! she only shagged sawyer so that he didnt give up.
i was not happy kate got with sawyer... i hope she gets wi jack and realises hes better... shes a tease tssk

November 21 2006 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zehra

I think Kate is in on something - she might know Juliet's plan---but I thnk she slept with Sawyer as part of the plan to get Jack to do the surgery...

November 16 2006 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

Okay, so first of all, you are absolutely correct! Awesome episode. I love this show!!!!!

Next, what is Locke going to find. Well. this is a hunch, but I believe that they will go to the highest ground on the island and look up and find the Others Island. I think this will be a great seigue into saving Jack, Kate and Sawyer. That is just an opinion.

Then, with the Alex thing, I believe that her boyfriend was the kid in the island in Kate's cage. The one that originally told sawyer not to press the button. I think that was her boyfriend, even though they never said it.

As far as why he asked about her, maybe she is his daughter? I do not know, that wouldn't make sense, but whatever.

I am lost! Aren't you??

November 13 2006 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

The biggest annoying unanswered question of Lost is "Why do people who are bored with the show not just watch it, but take the time to go read supplimental message boards about the show?"
In 60 days on a haunted mystery island, the people are finding more questions than answers? Why is that so shocking and unsatisfying? It took Tom Hanks longer than that to figure out how to build a fire!

They're not spelling things out, but they're giving more clues to make things more clear - painting a picture over time. They may have hinted that there are only a handful of others - far fewer than survivors - but we're seeing their limitations now. for example, they didn't see Kate escape, because they were tending to something else. They don't have the capacity for a routine surgery - this wasn't clear in past episodes, where claire has memories of things happinging in a clinical setting. And in the past there were hints of supernatural happenings on the island that were hinted to be perhaps man-made. But that fog thing appeared to be affiliated with eko's dead brother - implying that this may indeed be beyond manmade.

If you want answers, google some old TV series that are complete. It's tough enough reading 75 comments without wading through empty complaints!

November 11 2006 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adrian

Tom/Zeke is homosexual, that is the reason he got so emotional when Jack cut Bens Kidney sack. Remember when Tom took Kate to the showers, and she made a comment about getting undresed before him, he said something about her not being his type. Now, Im no Kate fan, as a matter of fact, I hope she is the next person to get snuffed. I think she is a padantic, trouble wishy washy chick who needs a good kick in the ass. But thats just my opinion.
What I realy want to know is what the hell is that black smoke!!!!

November 11 2006 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven

Who says that Kate and Sawyer need to get to the other island? How do we know that the passangers from oceanic flight 815 are on that other island. They all could just be on one island, Ben might have told Sawyer about the other Island just to make Sawyer feel that there is no escape from them.

November 11 2006 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ Carz

Is it just me, or does Ben sometimes have small scabs on his face and sometimes not? I have been noticing this since he first got injured, and wondered if he might actually be two people, or do they just goof up his makeup sometimes? I only watch the episodes once, so maybe one of you can check this out.

November 10 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MS

you can find north without a compass

jacob's list could be similar to the list they had for jack, kate etc

not the lists of survivors

November 10 2006 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frances

AMEN to Sean Juan...Post Number 36...You definitely summed it up and said it best. PS. Suggestion for all you fretful whiners...Start watching "Jerico" and see if you get more answers and satisfaction in that town...but you better not hold your breath!

November 10 2006 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

Ummm no one has talked about Juliet, I think it is just a bit too convenient that most of the others don't like her and show it we have already established that Jack doesn't trust Ben so Juliet is capatilizing on that. I think she is the actual leader of the others. The producers have admitted that Ben wasn't supposed to be around this long. I think that the surgery was meant to be for Juliet.

She is flying under the radar.

Ben has a thing for Alex, he dressed Kate up like her and the others don't hurt her because of Ben. He was on the table about to go under when he asked if she mentioned me, referring to Alex. Ben seems to have trouble with women.

Sawyer and Kate aren't gunna die until they make some last minute confessional and their back stories are complete. Don't worry everyone who dies accepts the past and is ready to move on, well the island is like, it's time to die.

Perhaps it's like one of those alarm clocks that detects the best time to wake you based on certain body readings so you wake up the most refreshed, except this one works out the best time for you to die.

November 09 2006 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply