July 29, 2014

The Five: Why I'm not reviewing Standoff anymore

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 8th 2006 1:02PM

StandoffYou might have noticed that I didn't review last night's episode of Standoff. It's not because of election coverage. I'm just super bored with the show. Here's why.

1. It's like Mad Libs. Seriously, all you have to do is fill in the blanks with each episode's set up, confrontaion, and resolution. The two hostage negotiators are called in, Matt gets on the phone, Emily figures out what's going on in the hostage-taker's life that would make him do this, Frank wants to shoot them instead of talk to them, Matt and Emily banter about their relationship, their boss stands around and looks concerned, and then Matt or Emily talks the person out of doing anything else. Noun-adjective-adverb. Yawn.

2. I don't see the characters changing or growing. I hate this feeling in a TV show. Standoff just seems like a show that will bop along week after week after week with a different storyline, and even though certain episodes might be a little better than others, you don't get the feeling that anything else real is going to happen to these characters. They're just a device to get to the plot.

3. I keep thinking that this show would actually be better if they got rid of the Emily character and just focused on Matt being a daring, smart, rebel hostage negotiator. The whole relationship thing just seems forced now (though in earlier eps it was novel). But that's never going to happen.

4. I really wanted to love this show, and it just sorta bums me out that it isn't much better. Every week when the show is over I get this, "well, there goes another hour, and now I have to write this damn review." And then I sigh heavily.

5. Tuesday is usually the night when I do my laundry.

Nicole

I love Standoff and am not bored with it at all. In fact I am excited for each new episode and I seriously hope it is picked up for another season. I think it's amazing. The chemistry between Matt and Emily is WOW(!hot!) and each hostage scenario is intense... I would ask for nothing more.

November 26 2006 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

Stadoff has this "Hunter" touch of crapiness that make great sunday afternoon TV here in Europe. It's a real shame, because the cast is quite fine and has a nice chemistry.

November 09 2006 at 4:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shrike

I think It'd work a lot better if the relationship was between a hostage negotiator and the SWAT team leader. Now it's just plain boring - no matter how much I want to like this show.

And also, Gina Torres is going to waste as the stereotypical boss.

November 09 2006 at 3:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

i agree as well. i couldn't even make it through the entire last episode i watched (the one in the hospital). i started watching for ron livingston, but the show is just so predictable. cancelled the season pass over the weekend.

November 08 2006 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I became bored with this show in about two episodes, but I keep it on my tivo just in case something amazing happens. That said, I usually erase it within 20 minutes.

November 08 2006 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen

everything you said EXACTLY sums up how i felt about this show within the first 20mins of ep 1. serious yawnfest!!! i'm surprised it took you this long to come around ;)

November 08 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myron

Agreed. Please let this show die. I have to suffer it because of a significant other.

November 08 2006 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

This show is absolutely totally unbelievable. I tried it, gave it chance, and now it's sayonara for me.

November 08 2006 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

There was enough crying being done on FOX NEWS Channel -- no need for crybabys on TWO Fox channels

November 08 2006 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

maybe FOX should have pre-empted their shows for continous election night coverage :P

November 08 2006 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply