April 24, 2014

The Nine: Take Me Instead

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 8th 2006 11:12PM

The Nine(S01E06) The people who don't like this show anymore (after the pilot) don't know what they're talking about. Are they expecting some sort of big conspiracy plotline? Something supernatural? A big mystery to be unveiled at the end? Do they expect something darker because of the bank robbery/flashback device the show is using? Do they expect the entire show to be set in the bank? They're watching the wrong show. This is a character-driven drama, period, and a damn good one.

They're into hour two of the hostage drama (in the flashbacks), and we get to see how they came to decide who should be the hostage released from the bank...

We find out that Randall and Lucas were going to let the hostages decide who should leave first. Kathryn's mom clearly wants to go, but everyone says the injured guard should go. Randall and Lucas don't agree. Jeremy wants Lizzie to go and even makes her raise her hand, but they don't want her to go either. Nick convinces them that he has to stay, because he can help them in the negotiations. He also convinces them to let Kathryn's mom go (after getting the pizza left for them near the front door) because she's the oldest and she's been driving them crazy anyway. On the way out, Kathryn's mom freaks out, and tries to run back into the bank, but the police grab her and take her to safety.

Some other developments this week:

• The Odd Couple (Nick and Egan) are still living together, with Egan acting like Nick's wife, which Nick hates. Egan puts together a poker game for everyone (Nick's gambling addict side comes out). He's also looking for his own place, but seems to be really picky about the type of apartment he wants.
  • Lizzie visits Lucas. They had a connection in the bank too. She tells Lucas she's pregnant, and Lucas tells her not to tell Randall.
  • Jeremy calls Franny and invites her to a party where he's going to me a record company executive. He tells Lizzie he has a date.
  • Ed makes a nice dinner for Kathryn, and is about to propose, but Kathryn figures out what's going on and leaves. Why? Because she's falling in love with Nick. Kathryn and her mom meet Nick for lunch, where the mom almost blurts out that Ed was going to propose to her but is stopped by Kathryn. Kathryn and Ed later argue about this, and isn't sure if they have a future together.
  • Because she broke into the bank, Felicia is under house arrest with her dad (though he brings her to the poker game), who we find out was the one sent out to get the pizza after Kathryn's mom wigged out.
  • Kathryn, bothered by Nick's behavior at the poker game, goes back to Ed and agrees to marry him.
  • Two men are stationed in a van outside of the home of Felicia and her parents, listening. They've bugged the house.

Except for the pilot, this episode had more flashbacks to the bank than others. Which creates some nice tension, squeezed into the middle of the straight, current drama unfolding. Again, this show is very strong on characters, and if you're into what's going on and what happened/happens to them, then I don't see why you wouldn't like the show. It isn't just about "what happened in there" (no matter what the ABC ads say), it's also about relationships and what's going to happen to them now.

And whether or not what happened in the bank, as Kathryn said, will survive on the outside.

Monique

I love the show and I love the fact that I am able to catch up at work via ABC on my computer. The show is great and amazing. How one event can bring people together and I like not knowing and guessing what may have happened. I don't watch Lost because the concept is just to much for me and unrealistic. Come on.....The Nine is a great show.

November 14 2006 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kira Richardson

I really like this show. I love plot driven shows too, but sometimes a show that appears to be plot driven is really character driven (Medium comes to mind here). I love how the after shocks are starting to reverberate into T9's lives and the Bank Robbery really was just a catalyst to the lives these folks NOW have to lead.

I hope the vocal minority of people yelping for more action don't do a disservice to what this show is about... the complex and interesting (and very well acted) characters that are really what this show is about.

November 13 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Talliah

I agree with you.
I love the show because it is NOT Lost.
I love the characters and how we get to know their many layers.
I like the bank flashbacks too, and want more of those, but I don't want the show to have crazy unbeliavable twists.

And I really want to see how these people will evolve now.

I hope ABC will let the writers show us where they wanted to take these characters.

November 11 2006 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clara N.

This show is definitly character driven and the characters are starting to become multi-layered. Just because no one is running around with a chainsaw or tossing someone out of a window doesn't mean it is a bad show. There's a lot of not so obvious changes on the horizon. These people brought a lot into the bank and what happened in there appears to exacerbated those things. Not everyone wants to see blood and guts and dead bodies flying around. The cast in T9 is making those people real and flawed and human so why can't the writers have a chance to finish what they started?

November 11 2006 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pat Shields

I totally agree with Bob Sassone. The show's a keeper! My only fear is that at 11 PM every Wednesday night, I fear that ABC will drop the show before another episode even airs!

November 09 2006 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Finally, this episode lived up to the much revered pilot episode!
I was waiting for the show to get good again. The last few weeks have been slow, I'll agree. I don't know if the editors have been reading blogs and reviews, but it almost seemed as if this episode was edited to include more bank footage (what people have been asking for).
It was refreshing to learn more, finally. Plus, there are new developments in the present day plot. Kathryn is suppressing her feelings for Nick and getting married; Egan and Nick are becoming better pals and making an indefinite living situation, strange men bugging the house.

Lizzie seems to have an attraction to Lucas who held her captive.

I hope the show sticks around after this last episode. It was starting to wear a tad thin but now my interest is rejuvinated. Supposedly last night's viewership determined if this show would go on hiatus or not. I wonder how it did?

November 09 2006 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steampipe alley

I agree, this show has taken spot number 2 behind prison break for me and is distancing itself from LOST, which i cant stand anymore.

November 09 2006 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

C'mon, it's all just expressions of opinions here. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong. Bob, and others, like the show a lot, I like it less, but I do like it. As I said in an earlier posting, it's getting old for me and seems to be "slowing down". I find it treading towards Six Degrees waters, personally.

Everybody's opinions differ to a degree, some greater than others. I think the show's floundering, Bob loves it. From my POV I think Bob's just easily amused, but based on some of the crap I love to watch, others would say the same thing about me.

November 09 2006 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
schmegs

Stigmata--

I don't think the characters are bland at all. They're very human. The interactions between them (particularly Nick & Egan and Lizzie & Lucas in this episode) are what makes the show so good. You're looking for a plot-driven show (more twists? their are a ton of other shows if you want that... check out the Law & Order/CSIs for all the twists you want...), which this show isn't. I can understand that you may not like these type of shows, but I have a hard time with people criticizing a show for what it's not, rather than what it is. Bob's right: it's a character-driven drama. Period.

November 09 2006 at 5:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalie

Thank you! I was distraught to see The Nine critisized by TV Squad, but am relieved to see you appreciate it for what it is. Its the little, human moments that make this show compelling, and I hope it finds more viewers and stays on the air!!

November 09 2006 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply