November 26, 2014

Ed Bradley dead at 65 - BREAKING NEWS

by Bob Sassone, posted Nov 9th 2006 12:45PM

Ed BradleyKatie Couric just broke into CBS programming with the shocking news that longtime 60 Minutes journalist Ed Bradley died this morning of leukemia. He was 65.

I use the word shocking because I don't think there was any public indication that Bradley was sick from leukemia.

At the time of his death, Bradley was still working on 60 Minutes, and stories that he was working on still remain to be aired at a later date. He had been with 60 Minutes for 26 years and won several awards, including an Emmy, a Polk, a Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award, and a duPont citation.

Bradley was married to artist Patricia Blanchet.

dwacon_com

Ed Bradley looked very frail during the Duke broadcast, so it is not as much of a surprise, but still saddening news.

May he rest in peace.

He was the speaker during my undergrad commencement and at the time I appreciated not only his talent but his style... which us Philadelphia natives have indigenously.

For those who had negative things to say, Ed's 19 Emmy® awards (and his numerous other awards) are more than enough proof of his greatness.

He will be missed.

dwacon

November 10 2006 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I don't mean this as a slight, but: while there were probably better journalists than Ed Bradley, there were few storytellers better than he was. He just had this way of making what he covered seem like something you would want to watch, something that in today's world is increasingly difficult to do. I feel there are many good journalists out there today, but very few good storytellers, and Ed was one of them.

November 10 2006 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

Ron thinks that Ed Bradley was a "hack" for his "occasional fluff pieces." Then he says that "Sure, most journalists have their occasional fluff pieces." So therefore, MOST journalists, according to Ron, are automatically hacks no matter what their best work happens to be. That should save everyone some time.

I think Ed Bradley was a brilliant journalist. I had noticed recently that he looked like he was aging a little more than his colleagues, but on that show, most of the contributors are past 60 or even 70, so I didn't think that much of it at the time.

I'm glad the final piece that aired while he was alive was the Duke investigation in which he still managed to break new ground. I thought CBS News did a good job with its tributes to him as well. From what I saw from his colleagues, he was obviously a well-respected class act.

November 10 2006 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

i'm sorry, but how is that a hack piece? woods had just won another major, and is on his way to setting records for his age, and has never done anything wrong that's made it to the news. he's a standup guy, and has never taken anything from anyone in a dishonest manner. he wasn't running for anything, and wasn't excluding anyone from joining his school, his tours, or his teachings.

he was giving money to set up a school. being bad should not be the only way to get profiled on the news.

you wanna bitch about leslie stahl and barbara walters (who used to be good) interviews, go ahead. but bradley never backed away from questions that need to be asked of people who have reasons to hide the answers. he might not have been the best newsman ever, but he was pretty close.

November 10 2006 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

One thing I do know is it certainly ain't being disrespectful to the dead.

November 09 2006 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Neil

Is this the comments section or the kiss dead peoples'asses section? I think Bradley was a hack for his occasional fluff pieces, like this one.
Sure most journalists have their ocassional fluff piece, but it doesn't make Ed Bradley (or others) any less of hack just because its what everyone else does.

November 09 2006 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

Oh no, does this mean that Leslie Stahl is going to get more stories?

Stahl: How awesome are you?
Celebrity: Totally awesome!!
Stahl: Oh really!?
Celebrity: Yes, really!
Stahl: Yea, that's great!

November 09 2006 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Ron you've already proven yourself that your a hack so I suggest you keep your crappy comments to yourself from now on but anyways I had no idea he was having health problems RIP Ed and now we've lost another great journalist. :(

November 09 2006 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

What a huge loss. Ed Bradley was a fantastic legendary journalist--and a cool one at that.

I noticed his voice seemed a little shaky on his last story on the most recent 60 Minutes. But from what I understand his death was very sudden.

Rest in Peace.

November 09 2006 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

For those who are interested in Ed Bradley's life and career, watch his oral history Archive of American Television interview for free. You can access a link to it at the Archive's weblog --

November 09 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply