August 20, 2014

NBC looks abroad yet again for more comedy series

by Adam Finley, posted Nov 9th 2006 6:02PM

nbcThere's not much information yet, but NBC is close to securing three new comedies set to air sometime next season. The first, I'm with Stupid, which I mentioned last month, is a re-tooling of a British series about a man who befriends a boy in a wheelchair and lives in a home for the disabled. The project is being helmed by directors Peter and Bobby Farrelly, along with Ben Silverman, who helped develop both The Office and Ugly Betty for American audiences.

Kath and Kim is based on an Australian series about a divorced mother and her daughter. Nancy Pimental, a former writer for South Park and a former co-host on Win Ben Stein's Money, penned the adaptation and will serve as executive producer with Silverman. The series, along with I'm with Stupid, is being developed for the Farrelly brother's Reveille production company.

Finally, the Channel 4 series The IT Crowd is being re-developed by writer and executive producers David Guarascio and Moses Port (Just Shoot Me, Mad About You); and Joe Port and Joe Wiseman (Son of the Beach, Dilbert).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to cryogenically freeze myself until American television actually starts coming up with original ideas. Wake me when that happens, or when clones of Winona Ryder are cheap and readily available, whichever happens first.

Related:
The IT Crowd: Yesterday's Jam - review
Catch IT Crowd online

jose

can't wait for the new kath & kim!! anyone seen the extra's on 'the sweetest thing' dvd, nancy pimental the writer is hilarious, this will be great!!

January 11 2007 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alan n.

the it crowd is one of the funniest sitcoms i have ever seen, hope they remake it well.

December 29 2006 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel K

The only argument for Americanizing THE IT CROWD is that you'd get 24 episodes a year instead of 6 episodes every three years. So the question becomes, will those episodes be watchable?
JUST SHOOT ME was close in tone to IT CROWD, so it's potentially not a complete disaster -- assuming that those guys actually get to work on this show.

December 04 2006 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Guerena

I love the IT Crowd and have been pleasantly surprised by the US version of the Office. If NBC hacks the translation there is a simple solution, don't watch it.

December 04 2006 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
grubi

For all folks who say that IT WON'T TRANSLATE; IT NEVER DOES:

* Sanford and Son
* All in the Family
* Three's Company

Yeah, that's just three that did translate. Don't throw a blanket judgment on this -- wait and see.

December 04 2006 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

to all you nay sayers.

Buy the original and air it in the US? are you kidding me? so we can watch it all over again? I welcome both a second season of IT Crowd from channel 4 and an American remake "butcher job"

I absolutely LOVE "The Office", both UK and US versions. You want to watch re-runs, do it on your own time.

December 04 2006 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

For Hollywood having all the creative minds under one roof, you would think they would be able to muster up an original idea. How many people come to them with ideas a day? At least 5. I like the rest of you feel it will be horriable. The Office sucks eggs, this will do the same. And I am a huge Steven Carell fan.

December 04 2006 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorkie Dork

AHHHH!!!! NO! LEAVE THE ORIGINALS AS THEY ARE! I F$#%ING HATE THESE TRANSLATIONS!

I am soooo pissed at NBC right now. QUIT F$%#@NG "STUPIFYING" IT YOU BUTCHERING ASSHOLES!

BRING THEM OVER AS THEY ARE OR NOT AT ALL! LISTEN TO ME NBC!

December 03 2006 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

Wasn't it NBC that attempted to bring Coupling over? Coupling (at least the early seasons) are ROTFLMAO funny (and I NEVER use that acronym!). The NBC version was so flat that I couldn't keep the characters apart even though I was very familiar with the British version. This will likely be an unmitigated disaster.

Just buy the original and run it here! Americans aren't so dumb that they can't follow the British version (and those that are that dumb won't be able to follow the humor in a show like the IT Crowd anyway).

December 03 2006 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

The Office made a great American show-- who would have predicted that? I look forward to the Kath and Kim adaptation, precisely because I love the original. Let's wait and see.

November 10 2006 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply