December 21, 2014

Men in Trees: The Menaissance

by Anna Johns, posted Nov 11th 2006 2:35PM
men in trees
(S01E09) First of all, let's all give ABC three cheers for finally giving Men in Trees a decent time slot. Actually, it's a pretty terrific time slot-- directly after Grey's Anatomy, which had more than 13 million viewers last week. That's the highest rated show on television right now and it's going to be a lead-in for Men in Trees. Spectacular! ABC has also picked up a full season of Men in Trees. It's funny, really. ABC originally scheduled Ugly Betty and Men in Trees for Friday nights and now they're both on the biggest night of television.

This week's episode, The Menaissance, just unhinged everything, didn't it? I was so excited about the way Marin and Jack's relationship was maturing. After they had sex back during episode five, "Talk for Tat," I wondered what would happen between them. But, it turns out that having the two main characters hook-up early in the first season is not such a bad thing. They backed off because neither of them was ready for a relationship, and they became friends. Then, last week, things started simmering again between them. Jack definitely was interested in Marin... and now it's all blown to hell because Marin had an article published in The New Yorker that's all about Jack. (By the way, I have that issue of The New Yorker at my house and, no, it's not actually in there)

I don't think Marin ever clearly conveyed to Jack that the publishing of the article wasn't her choice. But, it doesn't really matter to him anyway. The fact that she used their relationship as fodder for a book was enough for him to sever his friendship with her. You can't blame him, really. He was just starting to come out of his shell with her and then he gets humiliated (let's face it: no matter what she wrote, that guy would be humiliated). Marin betrayed their friendship- though not on purpose, and with pure intentions. It was a heartbreaking storyline, but I was very happy that the writers didn't easily wrap it up at the end of the episode. In fact, that's one of the things I adore about this show. Each week feeds into the next. The characters don't suffer a crisis one week and suddenly recover from it the next. Even the Patrick-Mom-MomMai storyline isn't over. You know there's going to be some lingering jealousy with Patrick's mom over Mai.

I was also happy that we got a little more Teresa. Her character has seemed so cold-hearted ever since she dumped sweet Ben, but now we finally get to learn a little of her motivation. She used to sing back-up for Jewel (who, at one point, sounded like a dying elk during her performance) and she used to get beat up by her boyfriend. When Ben learns this, he suddenly starts to feel... something for her other than hate. Maybe it's just pity. Anyway, I liked his realization that he helped her get strong enough to leave him.

The only storyline that bothered me this week was the Jane/Plow Guy story. I know he was supposed to be a smoldering hot snowplow operator, but he just gave me the creeps. He just smiled at her and tried to be all cuddly. And, is she socially inept or what?

During the next episode (which doesn't air until Thursday, Nov. 30th at 10 pm), Marin travels back to New York. But probably not for long. Oh, and Plow Guy returns.

Sherman

The music on this show never fails to please.
Tonight's episode (Thurs Jan 25th) ended with a funky love song. Lyrics went a little something like this..."lovin me, I'm lovin you, I swear I got it going on. Come and get crazy with me!"

Would appreciate knowing who recorded the song.
Thanks
Sherman

January 26 2007 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Casey

Hey, anyone catch the Fendi bag in the episode?? I'm desperately trying to find out what the bag is. Thanks if anyone knows!

November 24 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

DOONELL, the song is sung by Brett Dennen

November 18 2006 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
soj

I'm not quite sure from one moment to the next exactly how to take this show, seriously or comically, but that's a big part of it's charm. It's like peanut butter on a slice of green apple - a surprising combination of wry and sweet, silly and deep. A refreshing and entertaining look at relationship, the show takes some sagaciously hilarious jabs at current attitudes between men and women, while underscoring what really counts: be real, be yourself! It's a delightful hour with lots of surprises that I look forward to each week (albight, on the DVR after the kids are in bed).

Elmo reminds me of Juneau or Ketchikan. The only aspect missing is a greater Native American element.

PS: It was a pleasure to see and hear Jewell on the show. Jack's character is performed flawlessly, always. Is no one curious about where Sara has run off to?

November 18 2006 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The World Jewel Forum

Jewel didn't sound anything like a dying elk. She's a wonderful performer. Her song was great. I thought it was great how they wrote her into the script. BTW, Jewel has made several appearances in shows as herself this year including "The Young and the Restless", "7th Heaven", and now "Men in Trees". It's like acting without having to pretend to be someone you're not. Call it "Acting-Light" if you will. ;)

The World Jewel Forum
www.JewelForum.com

November 14 2006 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmb

p.s. I like plow guy. Like to believe it was love at first sight for him and that Jane just doesn't know how to let her feelings show or what a relationship like that would lead to for her.

November 13 2006 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jmb

Yes, Deena, I'm freaking out, as soon as a "Men" show is over I can't wait until the next one and was very disappointed when there was a week in between episodes. And evidently I'm not like everyone else and so excited it will be on Thursday nights. Personally I come home and crash on Friday nights and it was so nice to have some "fluff" to look forward to. To me Thursday nights have the only good shows right now, Ugly Betty, My Name is Earl and The Office. I don't know if I'll be able to get them all in now. I'm heartily sick of the nightime soap operas like Grey's Anatomy and all the other "doctor", "police", "forensic" crap. Well, except "Monk". Just hoping "Men" doesn't turn into a nightime soap opera. I think the writers have alot of imagination a hope they keep 'em coming with new characters etc. My husband even likes the show and has used it as conversation at his job. He's wondering how many city women will be moving to Alaska lookinf for real men. It's refreshing to know that other women are sick of tassle loafers and wanting to see some logging boots etc. Thanks! abc

November 13 2006 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DOONELL

I heard a great song "I'm the one who will love you the most". Anyone know who sings it?

November 13 2006 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce Day

I did not find Plow Guy creepy at all! If I were a single woman I would grab on to him and never let go. Very handsome, attentive, and lovesick, that's the kind of creep for me. When I saw him on the previews for the next episode I was very happy because Jane could do a lot worse than him. If I were her I'd be moving to Alaska not today but yesterday.

November 12 2006 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stormy

I'm with you, Mary! PlowGuy is soooo... sexy. Jack broods too much. I wish desperately that ABC would do the next day episode playbacks online. Has anyone else called/wrote about this? I have repeatedly, but have not been answered. (That may help with your MEN withdrawals, Deena.)

November 12 2006 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply